E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > My first post (Denver area help needed)

01-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
matt392
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

My first post (Denver area help needed)

Just purchased a 2008 e92xi with 82k miles. It did have minor hail damage but besides that is pretty clean one owner clean title car. I would like to get a few exterior m style components installed such as m3 front bumper. When I got the car the rear tow hook was missing which annoys me, so need one of those painted. Rims have to go, I'm torn on oem 18" m3 charcoal/silver rims from allfactoryrims.com or 18" or maybe 19" m4 replicas from eBay. I'll be buying the m3 front bumper from rw carbon as well as side skirts. I need to find a place in Denver that will paint and install such aftermarket components so please any suggestions are greatly appreciated. This is my daily driver so as far as mods to the actual car, I'm considering the afe intake or injen, as well as the jb+. I pulled the wire for the tee exhaust trick, sounds throaty enough. I would also really like the halo eyes upgraded to lux 8s. My budget is around $4k. I am open to suggestions on shops, mods, and really any thoughts on the e92. Thanks!

Last edited by matt392; 01-12-2016 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

What are your power goals? Depending on your goals will depend on what to get, and how much work and maintenance you are willing to do. I would recommend preventative maintenance, do you have some records of what has been done at what mileage?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
matt392
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidoman View Post
What are your power goals? Depending on your goals will depend on what to get, and how much work and maintenance you are willing to do. I would recommend preventative maintenance, do you have some records of what has been done at what mileage?
As far as power really just looking for intake, exhaust, tune and maybe intercooler. From what I've been reading it'd be wise to get a oil cooler. So that is on the list. Exterior mods since there was minor hail damage and some road chips in the hood I will be ordering this weekend the following, m3 hood rep, m3 front and rear bumper reps, csl trunk, and side skirts although un damaged might as well. The dings in the roof I supposed I'll have to suck it up and have repaired at a body shop. When I originally bought the car I didn't care about the minor hail damage. After owning it for a week and detailing it, now it bothers me. I do have all the maintenance records, or most at least that came with the car. It seems to be well taken care of from what I can gather. Its a one owner accident free car with 81k miles on it, $12k. Traded in my 2006 subaru tribeca with 120kmiles I had wrecked pretty bad, put back together and needed many things soon, gave me $6k for it. So I thought all in all was a pretty good deal. Anyway after I receive my parts I'll need a shop to install and paint, and I know sounds silly I also want to wrap it at that point, but I have a friend whose dads friend owns a place blah blah, we'll see what kind of deal I get, but looking for a dark matte gray wrap after everything is lined up. I understand this is all expensive but its fun to me. I am not looking for a race car, just a nice looking car modded to my liking. Couldn't get a m3, so the xi is what it is, I won't m3 badge anything on the car lol I'm not that guy, goal, look something like this minus the m3 fenders
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
matt392
Enlisted Member
Rep

Another thing.. Today I was looking to buy locally a set of lux 8s. no one seems to stock them, i'd also like the afe intake or injen, couldn't find locally. anything i can do with my own two hands I'd like to. I just want to find at a store so I know I'm buying the right stuff. Isn't there places that stock these parts in Denver? Also want a jb+.. I googled a place called corsport, but looks like a wearhouse not so much a retail store. I might try a place called racingtrendz I also found on google..? Any other performance auto stores around denver preferably that don't end with the letter 'z' haha? thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 11:07 PM   #5
djjsarai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW///335i Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt392 View Post
Just purchased a 2008 e92xi with 82k miles. It did have minor hail damage but besides that is pretty clean one owner clean title car. I would like to get a few exterior m style components installed such as m3 front bumper. When I got the car the rear tow hook was missing which annoys me, so need one of those painted. Rims have to go, I'm torn on oem 18" m3 charcoal/silver rims from allfactoryrims.com or 18" or maybe 19" m4 replicas from eBay. I'll be buying the m3 front bumper from rw carbon as well as side skirts. I need to find a place in Denver that will paint and install such aftermarket components so please any suggestions are greatly appreciated. This is my daily driver so as far as mods to the actual car, I'm considering the afe intake or injen, as well as the jb+. I pulled the wire for the tee exhaust trick, sounds throaty enough. I would also really like the halo eyes upgraded to lux 8s. My budget is around $4k. I am open to suggestions on shops, mods, and really any thoughts on the e92. Thanks!

Murray bmw body work shop is great. Did a new rear m-sport bumper on my car and it was a fantastic job! I would recommend them!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 01:28 AM   #6
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep

I wouldn't recommend murray at all.. it took them three times to get my rear quarter panel done right, the first time you could tell there was body work done far away.

What maintenance has been done on the vehicle? ie water pump, walnut blasting/intake cleaning, coils, other bigger ticket maintenance. I would look into those first. And look into MHD this forum rather than JB+, just a suggestion. It suits most needs from basic tuning of a stock motor to higher FBO and upgraded turbo applications. FMIC is good and new dps as well (without cats). Intakes are basically a waste of money in these motors as well, and depending on how much you want to get involved new inlets are going to provide the hp gain, not the intake. The chargepipes on these vehicles are very prone to breaking (even on stock) because they are plastic.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 01:29 AM   #7
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep

And what part of Denver are you from?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #8
matt392
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend murray at all.. it took them three times to get my rear quarter panel done right, the first time you could tell there was body work done far away.

What maintenance has been done on the vehicle? ie water pump, walnut blasting/intake cleaning, coils, other bigger ticket maintenance. I would look into those first. And look into MHD this forum rather than JB+, just a suggestion. It suits most needs from basic tuning of a stock motor to higher FBO and upgraded turbo applications. FMIC is good and new dps as well (without cats). Intakes are basically a waste of money in these motors as well, and depending on how much you want to get involved new inlets are going to provide the hp gain, not the intake. The chargepipes on these vehicles are very prone to breaking (even on stock) because they are plastic.
None of those things you listed to my knowledge have been done, and I hear a wobble driver front over bumps. And thanks for the air intake and MHD app tip, I ordered the cable to use that app, and ordered aFe OE performance drop in filter.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I will order one of these kits tonight either the megan ez street series or megan euro series coilovers from ecs tuning. The other option is get the bilstein coilers with h&r springs, more expensive. I figured thats a good start. Suspension first, then on to rims..
Walnut blasting, so I hear this term often on this forum, I will look into this Monday morning, there's a few indy shops around Denver I've found from this forum I'll call around and get pricing. Does anyone know the cost guesstimated?
I did find a set of wheels and tires I like on CL but the guy hasn't gotten back to me, seems like a good deal but its from a '10 m3, rwd. So I'm also trying to figure that out. Here's a link, seems like a good deal right? But do they work on my xi AWD?
Wheels
https://denver.craigslist.org/wto/5404683435.html
Suspension
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2863189/...pxnxoCN63w_wcB
Start for now...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #9
matt392
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
And what part of Denver are you from?
Lakewood, belmar area...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #10
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
None of those things you listed to my knowledge have been done, and I hear a wobble driver front over bumps. And thanks for the air intake and MHD app tip, I ordered the cable to use that app, and ordered aFe OE performance drop in filter.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I will order one of these kits tonight either the megan ez street series or megan euro series coilovers from ecs tuning. The other option is get the bilstein coilers with h&r springs, more expensive. I figured thats a good start. Suspension first, then on to rims..
Walnut blasting, so I hear this term often on this forum, I will look into this Monday morning, there's a few indy shops around Denver I've found from this forum I'll call around and get pricing. Does anyone know the cost guesstimated?
I did find a set of wheels and tires I like on CL but the guy hasn't gotten back to me, seems like a good deal but its from a '10 m3, rwd. So I'm also trying to figure that out. Here's a link, seems like a good deal right? But do they work on my xi AWD?
Wheels
https://denver.craigslist.org/wto/5404683435.html
Suspension
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2863189/...pxnxoCN63w_wcB
Start for now...
Those coilovers will NOT work with the xi, your need xi specific coilovers for our vehicles; the suspension is different with the awd system. I would be cautious with those wheels and tires, rwd usually have staggered set-ups, and some can mess with the functionality of the awd system (I found something on it here once about a certain percent of staggered is okay), and oem wheels can be easily bent (especially on these CO roads) and are heavy. I would save some money and spend it on a lighter and stronger aftermarket set, some that are actually around the price of that one you listed.

Walnut blasting - I would not pay over $500 if you are not doing it yourself. I know there was a member helping people out on here if you wanted to react to him to see if he still does that
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:07 AM   #11
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here's some information on xi setups: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415508

You can run a staggered or a square setup, depending on your wants and needs, staggered for more performance or square setup that will last longer because you can rotate the tires. I would recommend buying a new set that has everything that you want on it.

And I'm from the Littleton area/southwest plaza
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
matt392
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Here's some information on xi setups: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415508

You can run a staggered or a square setup, depending on your wants and needs, staggered for more performance or square setup that will last longer because you can rotate the tires. I would recommend buying a new set that has everything that you want on it.

And I'm from the Littleton area/southwest plaza
Thanks for the info, yes those coil overs are not the correct ones. I'm still torn on which to order. I think the person who will be installing the suspension maybe should help me order it for there might be extras that I won't think about that I may need, and as I know nothing about coilovers, or really anything about cars in general other than the average oil change and tire. There's a place on wadsworth called carz performance, around 10th and wadsworth.. I plan going there monday morning to speak to them about which coilovers to order, when they can even do the install.
adidoman where do you take your xi for performance mods? Is the reality of the new suspension going to cost 2 grand all said and done? Parts+labor+alignment I don't see it less than, I was trying to get by on a inexpensive setup and focus on the cool rims like a kid. But I'm ready to shell it out to get this project going, monday morning bright and early as long as places aren't closed for mlk I'll be stopping in with a bunch of cash in my pocket, so any advice greatly apprecaited, and if your in that area monday morning please by all means stop by, i'm a sucker when someone try upselling me things I don't need, lol. again thanks for info... Southwest plaza area huh? So we live within 15 minutes, right on..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #13
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't done the coilovers on mine yet. I've done all the work on my car myself, without any prior experience, just with researching here and on the Internet, but it takes me 2/3 times as long to get it done. You'll have to order your coilovers online, and they list them separate from the rwd ones. If you go to the AWD section on here there will be different coilovers, not as big of a selection as rwd. I'm not sure how much they would cost to install, but I would shop around. Autoworks over here in Littleton is pretty good, owner has been working on these cars for over 40 years. Probably not the cheapest but an option. And there shouldn't be really anything to upsale unless the shop found something that was broken or worn
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #14
matt392
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I haven't done the coilovers on mine yet. I've done all the work on my car myself, without any prior experience, just with researching here and on the Internet, but it takes me 2/3 times as long to get it done. You'll have to order your coilovers online, and they list them separate from the rwd ones. If you go to the AWD section on here there will be different coilovers, not as big of a selection as rwd. I'm not sure how much they would cost to install, but I would shop around. Autoworks over here in Littleton is pretty good, owner has been working on these cars for over 40 years. Probably not the cheapest but an option. And there shouldn't be really anything to upsale unless the shop found something that was broken or worn
Thanks for the advice, I'm not sure I want much of a drop, I just picked up those wheels and tires from a guy on craigslist. They were in mint condition both rims and tires might of had 5k miles on them. Heres a picture...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #15
Fnne99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Spend the extra $$ and get the jb4 instead of the +.
For $500 jb4 + $40 dcan cable and $79 for the backend flash, you'll make nice power and have a safety system (jb4) in case something is out of whack with knock, fueling or boost. You dont need the flash with the jb4 but it really makes the car run more smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #16
matt392
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnne99 View Post
Spend the extra $$ and get the jb4 instead of the +.
For $500 jb4 + $40 dcan cable and $79 for the backend flash, you'll make nice power and have a safety system (jb4) in case something is out of whack with knock, fueling or boost. You dont need the flash with the jb4 but it really makes the car run more smoothly.
I'm going to start with the mhd flash when i get the cable. I'm sure I'll post when i receive it here.. Much more to come, glad wife doesn't see my bank statements
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 11:09 PM   #17
matt392
Enlisted Member
Rep

Only problem now is how to get the tpms light to work with the ones that came on the set I just got. The guy said the light will eventually go off, is what it did in his m3. Is that the case or do I need my stock ones from out my old wheels in my new ones?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #18
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt392
Only problem now is how to get the tpms light to work with the ones that came on the set I just got. The guy said the light will eventually go off, is what it did in his m3. Is that the case or do I need my stock ones from out my old wheels in my new ones?
You can try to reinitialize the tpms, but there are 2 different sensors based on production dates of the vehicle. If they won't reinitialize, you'll have to swap them out or have the tpms coded out.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #19
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Depends on what year the wheels that came from the m3 (if his was 2010 or newer they will not work with your 2008). I have an extra set that I'm selling that came from my 1 series and they will work with a 2008 3 series if you need them, or you need to get them from you old ones. I have TPMS on my winter and summer set now
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #20
matt392
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
You can try to reinitialize the tpms, but there are 2 different sensors based on production dates of the vehicle. If they won't reinitialize, you'll have to swap them out or have the tpms coded out.
Yeah I read a thread the 2010 m3 had different tpms than previous year e92s. And seeing the rims came off a 10 m3 I think I have ones that my car won't recognize. I tried resetting it a couple times, its a no go everytime. I am getting that k+ cable either today or tomorrow thru the mail, is there software I can hook my computer up to delete the [!] error on the dash until I get the tpms sensors on the new wheels? I do plan to hook my car to the mhd app when I get the cable, does that app have features that can do such things? I saw bmwhat app can re program the fob, but not sure the tpms delete.

Ordered so far..
aFe drop in high performance filter
K+ cable for the mhd/bmwhatapp
Lux 8 160 and got the 'expedited' ship option, hopefully get tomorrow
LED Footwell under door lightsunder door leds. (damn i forgot to order h11 white fogs)
High kick spoiler (Might be in classifieds if I don't like it, I was back and fourth)
a22 sgm paint, base and clear coat
rear bumper tow hook (mines missing).

todays project, get the damn roof rack off it, I was going to keep it on and put a snowboard rack for wife and i have ski passes, but that will mean when we go up the mountain were taking my car, no thanks. Her Tahoe is better in the snow anyway. go buy jack stand, impact wrench for my new compressor i got for christmas that i've used once. make appointment for some tint... Research how to install a head until with navigation/backup that works with the stock stereo system. I've briefly buzzed thru some threads I from what I gather its not the easiest thing due to fiber optic cables or something of the such? I'll figure it out. I hope this thread doesn't bother anyone its almost like a journal of some sort for me I guess. Is this the correct section for that? Thanks everyone for looking and any input/tips/criticism good or bad welcome.

Maintenance on the list Goal Date = Mid 3/2016(For a car with 80k miles please reply if I'm missing something you'd recommend
Coilovers/Springs and anything in there needing to be replaced
Walnut Blast
High perf plugs
Drivetrain inspect and fluid change if needed/seals replaced etc...
Coolant inspection and change

Things on list to order (only quality parts with good reviews) Goal date = 4/2016
radar detecor
head unit with android interface, nav and back up. Only can find on eBay so far, probably doesn't work with bmws amp

suspension (Goal date = asap, need installer!!)
maybe jb4 or cobb, depending on what i see what this mhd app can do
fmic
catless downpipes
hks bov (i don't care if theres less to none gains, I like the way it sounds)
some sort of exhaust, want to change to double dual pipes for nice match on rear bumper
meth kit
m3 rep front/rear bumper pp no duralast/ebay garbage
m3 side skirts pp
m3 rep hood or something similar maybe even another oem (has minor hail damage), or carbon fiber painted to sgm (don't like the carbon fiber hood look unless painted, I've never sprayed carbon fiber too, there's probably no room for error, eekkk)
slotted rotors
carbon fiber lip on front bumper and side skirts
carbon fiber rear diffuser
full dark matte gray wrap (although I've been in love with laguna seca blue since I was a kid)
coral red full interior kit to replace mine, nothing wrong with mine, I just want it. (this is a want of a want, on the list but not part of the goal) It's actually pretty damn cheap, cheaper than I thought, $1800 fee ship..

not bad.... If it were a simple hour job it would of already been ordered lol.

If there is a experienced mechanic or body tech in the Denver area with time to work this month, please PM me. Or anyone please reply any good recommendations. Thank you thank you!

Last edited by matt392; 01-19-2016 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #21
matt392
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Depends on what year the wheels that came from the m3 (if his was 2010 or newer they will not work with your 2008). I have an extra set that I'm selling that came from my 1 series and they will work with a 2008 3 series if you need them, or you need to get them from you old ones. I have TPMS on my winter and summer set now
How much do you want for the extra set? Is this something that requires a tire shop to do? I've done zero research how they work so excuse my ignorance. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #22
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How much do you want for the extra set? Is this something that requires a tire shop to do? I've done zero research how they work so excuse my ignorance. Thanks!
It probably requires a tire shop to do the install because it involves taking the tire off of the rim. I would do that and then sell the set from the 2010, which I needed 3 weeks ago haha. And I can give you a deal for them because we could do the exchange locally, I'm not sure if I could price them on this post because its not in the classified section. The new sensors (when they are compatible) usually sync to the car after driving around for a little while.
Appreciate 0