E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil still leaking after OFH gasket replaced and low oil pressure light

10-17-2016, 03:07 AM   #1
JL135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Oil still leaking after OFH gasket replaced and low oil pressure light

My car is a 2009 135i with 52,XXX miles.

I've done my valve cover gasket + valve cover a year ago at about 36K miles.

Recently:

1. I've gotten an express oil change from the dealership

2. Walnut blast my intake valves (mechanic told me my OFH was leaking badly)

3. Replace oil filter housing gaskets and drain/flush coolant

After I replaced my oil filter housing gaskets, the major leak stopped and I thought I was free from doing anymore maintenance. But sadly I still had an oil leak and after driving it around for a day, my car now has low oil pressure also. I have no clue what's going on, please help me figure it out.

Here are some photos of the oil leak; it is coming from the intake side and dripping down. I hope it's not the valve cover but I honestly have no clue. What do you guys think it could be?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
Milan
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Non OEM oil filter? Maybe your oil cap is bad. Have you ever shredded your serpentine belt?
      10-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
JL135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
Non OEM oil filter? Maybe your oil cap is bad. Have you ever shredded your serpentine belt?
I got my oil replaced at the dealership at 50K miles, and that's when I noticed my OFH gasket leaking pretty badly. I don't think it's the oil filter, but maybe a bad oil cap.

If you're talking about the oil cap, the one on top of the engine right? Not the cap for the oil filter housing ?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
Milan
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL135i View Post
I got my oil replaced at the dealership at 50K miles, and that's when I noticed my OFH gasket leaking pretty badly. I don't think it's the oil filter, but maybe a bad oil cap.

If you're talking about the oil cap, the one on top of the engine right? Not the cap for the oil filter housing ?
Both of those are the same. I would check to make sure the middle insert of the coil cap is there and both o-rings are good. If it's not 100% OEM there you can have issues. Can't imagine that would be an issue at the dealer but maybe they didn't put the center cage back in the cap
      10-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Tim603
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Well without looking at the car its going to be hard to tell where the leak is coming from. I would try to isolate where it is coming from. Things to consider, oil pan gasket, front main seal, rear main seal but those will all be lower on the car. Up top its usually the valve cover or the oil filter housing gasket

Low oil pressure is another story. Have you ever shredded your drive belt and had it screw up the front main seal? If so it is common for debris to get in the engine and clog up the oil pickup tube resulting in low oil pressure. Unless there is a major leak somewhere or your oil cap/ oil filter cap is not sealing, that is usually the culprit
      10-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
How fast are you losing oil?

In the picture, it almost looks like there is oil pooling by your oil filter cap, which is a sign that your OFHG is still bad. Could be a aftermarket filter not seating, but you mentioned it was done at a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 M3

If your beslt snapped and u have low oil pressure light especially in the morning then its a clogged tube... just did it and finally we discovered the belt shredding sin the tube.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
MarkN54
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335xi 2008

Quote:

Recently:

After I replaced my oil filter housing gaskets, the major leak stopped and I thought I was free from doing anymore maintenance. But sadly I still had an oil leak and after driving it around for a day, my car now has low oil pressure also. I have no clue what's going on, please help me figure it out.

Here are some photos of the oil leak; it is coming from the intake side and dripping down. I hope it's not the valve cover but I honestly have no clue. What do you guys think it could be?
Hey man im having the same issue ive replaced the ofhg and still leaking, i took the ofh off again put gasket maker and still leaking, i used the oem gasket aswell i bought it from bmw was about 30 bucks not a big deal but the oil wont stop leaking had the car sitting for 2 months and cant figure this out valve over was replaced at the same time and its not leaking from the valve cover i am stuck! should i just buy a new Oil filter housing maybe because its warped? i need some advice on this or i might just sell this car which i dont want too but it keeps pushing me too
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:

Recently:

Check the rubber gasket on the Oil filter cap. Maybe the filter never seeded right. Mann filters are the best period.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #10
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Check the rubber gasket on the Oil filter cap. Maybe the filter never seeded right. Mann filters are the best period.
Everything is new from bmw I don’t have the oil cooler on my OFH, I replaced the gasket 3 times but it’s still leaking! This is driving me nuts I used UV dye and it’s coming right under neath the OFH traveling under the manifold it’s not the head gasket Because it’s leaking right under where the head meets the block could it just be a bad OFH not holding pressure? When I bought the car the oil filter cap didn’t have the clip on piece for the filter I bought a new one but still same problem! I’m lost
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:51 PM   #11
Basedtiger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN54 View Post
Everything is new from bmw I don’t have the oil cooler on my OFH, I replaced the gasket 3 times but it’s still leaking! This is driving me nuts I used UV dye and it’s coming right under neath the OFH traveling under the manifold it’s not the head gasket Because it’s leaking right under where the head meets the block could it just be a bad OFH not holding pressure? When I bought the car the oil filter cap didn’t have the clip on piece for the filter I bought a new one but still same problem! I’m lost
I had a similar issue a last year. It turned out to be the oil filter cap gasket. Just like you I had replaced the oil filter cap gasket but I was not torqueing the cap properly. It may appear like the OFHG is leaking but sometimes that is not the culprit. Both leaks will leave a similar trace.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #12
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
How many miles are on the car ?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #13
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have 159k i wanna keep this car for ever it’s an awesome car I still have a 2002 325xi with 270k still running strong
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #14
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I have 159k i wanna keep this car for ever it's an awesome car I still have a 2002 325xi with 270k still running strong
It's probably on its 2nd OFHG. I'd bet the first one was done between 75 - 90,000 miles.

So, it might be worth changing the OFHG. Maybe use some Ultra black with a new OEM gasket. This will increase the longevity of the seal.

I good "while your in there" with a OFHG project is a walnut blast or scrubbing/ cleaning of the intake valves with a gun wire brush kit & some CRC intake cleaning solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #15
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's probably on its 2nd OFHG. I'd bet the first one was done between 75 - 90,000 miles.

So, it might be worth changing the OFHG. Maybe use some Ultra black with a new OEM gasket. This will increase the longevity of the seal.

I good "while your in there" with a OFHG project is a walnut blast or scrubbing/ cleaning of the intake valves with a gun wire brush kit & some CRC intake cleaning solution.
I changed it twice with oem gasket and the 3rd time I used gasket sealant over the oem gasket I cleaned everything very well so the mating surfaces are spot less and I don’t have the other gasket that your talking about for the oil cooler
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:

So I bought a New Oil Filter Housing and put a new Gasket on it and still leaking... is there anything else underneath the OFH that could cause a leak?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #17
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

So I bought a New Oil Filter Housing and put a new Gasket on it and still leaking... is there anything else underneath the OFH that could cause a leak?
That sucks. I'd sell the old OFH and try and get sone of your money back.

How old are your intake valve gaskets?

Head gasket is near there, but it's really rare that a head gasket leaks on an n54/55
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #18
Cabdriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Did you use oe bmw gasket and correct torque values? Have seen folks using oem gaskets that began seeping/leaking again.
Overtighening ofh and och bolts can deform gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #19
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:

Head gasket is near there, but it's really rare that a head gasket leaks on an n54/55

Would the intake manifold gaskets cause a bad oil leak? i would get codes for that i think... anyways doing a little more research maybe my head bolts in the front are warped or expanded and i may need to just replace them. worth a try other than that I am lost for words. i looked all over a head gasket problem and nobody seems to have that problem with the n54 n55 they all say its the OFHG but i am tired of hearing that! hahahaahaha i replaced it so many times! could the Bolts from the oil filter Housing be bad and need to replace those? idk any help appreciated guys
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #20
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabdriver View Post
Did you use oe bmw gasket and correct torque values? Have seen folks using oem gaskets that began seeping/leaking again.
Overtighening ofh and och bolts can deform gaskets.
I tightened the bolts to the right torque and i used oem gasket aswell. Could the Steel bolts on the housing be bad? they look fine to me dont look like they are messed up they bolt in fine with no problems
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #21
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Would the intake manifold gaskets cause a bad oil leak? i would get codes for that i think... anyways doing a little more research maybe my head bolts in the front are warped or expanded and i may need to just replace them. worth a try other than that I am lost for words. i looked all over a head gasket problem and nobody seems to have that problem with the n54 n55 they all say its the OFHG but i am tired of hearing that! hahahaahaha i replaced it so many times! could the Bolts from the oil filter Housing be bad and need to replace those? idk any help appreciated guys
Intake manifold gaskets won't cause a huge leak. They will blow codes. Head gasket is unlikely. If you your oil is frothy, that's a tell take sign assuming your OFHG is good.

It's gotta be either your Front Crank Seal or your OFHG. I think the bolts for the OFHG are steel. They are not one time use. I did mine about 60,000 miles ago or 4 years so I am a little fuzzy on.

Given you are seeing oil on the back side of the alternator, I'd rule out the front crank seal.

So, OFHG.....

What car do you have ? 328 or 335??
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #22
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Intake manifold gaskets won't cause a huge leak. They will blow codes. Head gasket is unlikely. If you your oil is frothy, that's a tell take sign assuming your OFHG is good.

It's gotta be either your Front Crank Seal or your OFHG. I think the bolts for the OFHG are steel. They are not one time use. I did mine about 60,000 miles ago or 4 years so I am a little fuzzy on.

Given you are seeing oil on the back side of the alternator, I'd rule out the front crank seal.

So, OFHG.....

What car do you have ? 328 or 335??

I have a 2008 335xi coupe, I replaced the front crank seal thinking that was the problem and it wasn’t, oil is coming just underneath the head gasket in the front of the engine and oil is pooling up behind the manifold could the block side where the oil filter housing sits be damaged? I have pictures I just don’t know how to upload to here... I am using a oil dye and it’s definitely coming just under the OFH under the head gasket
Appreciate 0