E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dash Light Meaning

04-23-2023, 09:01 PM   #1
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Dash Light Meaning

I just picked up my '08 e90 335xi from it's winter slumber and I have the ABS, Triangle and 4x4 warning lights on in the instrument cluster. They weren't on when I parked the car last November. When I checked the BC on the signal light stalk I had a red service light on. When I pressed the button the following symbol came up and I can't find any reference as to what it means. My first guess was brake fluid level but it is right at the max line and the float seems to be moving freely. Can anyone help with an explanation of this symbol? Thanx.
Attached Images

04-23-2023, 10:29 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buug959 View Post
... Can anyone help with an explanation of this symbol? Thanx.
Brake Fluid Change Due. CBS or Condition Based Service.
George
Appreciate 1
Buug95917675.00
      04-23-2023, 10:40 PM   #3
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

I'm still trying to figure out what the duck button does in my car.
      04-24-2023, 04:08 AM   #4
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Brake Fluid Change Due. CBS or Condition Based Service.
George
Thanks George. I have new brake lines and fluid ordered already (due to arrive Tuesday) so the fluid change was going to happen anyway.
How do I reset the light after I flush the system? Will this cause the other three warning lights or is there something else I should be looking for?
      04-24-2023, 09:03 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buug959 View Post
... How do I reset the light after I flush the system? Will this cause the other three warning lights or is there something else I should be looking for?
There are 7 "Alerts" provided by CBS/ Condition Based Service: Vehicle Check; Oil Change; Safety Inspection; Emissions Inspection; Front Brake Pads; Rear Brake Pads; Brake Fluid change.

Attached is the Reset Procedure from Bentley 020-10. Please let us know WHAT method (INPA/ ISTA/ Pressure Bleeder, etc.) you use to change brake fluid, and if you had any issues with Bleed or CBS Reset. If you have CID or CIC, the Reset is via the iDrive Controller.

If the DSC, ABS & 4x4 warning lights are on the Instrument Cluster, you need to get Fault Codes read in the DSC/DXC Module. In US, any parts chain such as Advance Auto or AutoZone should do that FREE. ALSO, your photo shows Yellow Triangle with "!" to right of Gear Selected in lower display. That "!" means you have one or more "CC-ID" codes you can view using "Check Control" procedure.

You can use "Check Control" (procedure in Owner's Manual) to see generally what is causing those lights, such as Wheel Speed Sensor signal. Unfortunately, Check Control CC-ID codes are NOT very specific, and they basically alert you to an "issue", & that you should "Have problem checked by nearest BMW Service."
George
Attached Images

Last edited by gbalthrop; 04-24-2023 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
Buug95917675.00
      04-24-2023, 10:39 AM   #6
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what the duck button does in my car.
You need to press it before diving into a lake to stay afloat. :P

If you were not joking and already know this, that is "Hill Descent Control" button if I remember the name correctly. Something BMW got from Land Rover when it owned it around the times E90 was being designed times.

It is like a cruise control when going down hill and at low speed. Holds a steady low speed, by the car applying brakes instead of you applying the breaks.

Especially with a manual transmission I find it very useless, same thing can be achieved by lowering the gear and applying brakes as needed. I had tried it once or twice going down icy snowy hill, just to see how it works and what it does. Never needed to use it other than that. But I almost never use the cruise control neither.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 06:27 PM   #7
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Press the duck button when driving in the rain. Prevents the car from getting dirty because, you know, like water off a duck.

Still haven't tested hill descent mode after 3 winters.

But having a duck button has paid for itself 100x over getting laughs at my naive passengers expense.