E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > [E90 328i Sport package]Bent front strut spring

07-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

[E90 328i Sport package]Bent front strut spring

Hi all, I bent the coil spring on the left front shock of my 328i yesterday when trying to change the shocks. My e90 328i has a sport package (d4 front springs) and I can't find oe style replacement springs. I can only see non-sport package springs. Can't even find a part number for the springs on realoem. I saw some aftermarket springs, but I'd rather keep the stock ride height since sport package is plenty sporty for me on the rough roads. What would you recommend? The car is standing on the jacks in the friend's apartment complex garage, so ideally I'd like to get it as fast as possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Hi all, I bent the coil spring on the left front shock of my 328i yesterday when trying to change the shocks. My e90 328i has a sport package (d4 front springs) and I can't find oe style replacement springs. I can only see non-sport package springs. Can't even find a part number for the springs on realoem. I saw some aftermarket springs, but I'd rather keep the stock ride height since sport package is plenty sporty for me on the rough roads. What would you recommend? The car is standing on the jacks in the friend's apartment complex garage, so ideally I'd like to get it as fast as possible.

From notes I gathered some time ago I think the part number for D4 is 31-33-6-767-376.

You should be able to confirm this from a dealer by giving them your VIN or just asking the code for this part number.
      07-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
From notes I gathered some time ago I think the part number for D4 is 31-33-6-767-376.

You should be able to confirm this from a dealer by giving them your VIN or just asking the code for this part number.
I appreciate your info a lot, was checking this p/n online, for some reason it shows up as 06 07 sport package spring, wonder if they changed it for the LCI models (I think I forgot to mention mine is 09)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Looking at eEuroparts fiche, looks like this is actually it, it’s just some sites don’t know it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #5
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

It seems like Lesjofors LES-4008474 spring might be a fit, but not too sure. Looks like i’m going to have to call a dealer tomorrow and double check the p/n. If their price is OK, I’m probably going to have to buy it since I’m in a pinch now. Attached is a picture of the spring for readers viewing pleasure:
Attached Images

Last edited by fastboatster; 07-07-2019 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: More info added
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 12:00 AM   #6
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate your info a lot, was checking this p/n online, for some reason it shows up as 06 07 sport package spring, wonder if they changed it for the LCI models (I think I forgot to mention mine is 09)
I don't think the front springs changed with LCI. Rear on some cars did but it was supposedly only a change from a progressive to linear spring rate.

Springs for any one car are based on the model and the options of the car (weight). E82 and E9x springs are interchangeable providing they are the right code/part no. for the car's weight.

I'd advise replacing both fronts. The fact that one broke shows they have suffered some deterioration and having one newer with the other original won't be good. Buying used springs is usually fine if the used ones aren't bad. The only way I know to tell is if they are relatively new and/or haven't been in a car that's been on salted roads.

Since you are in a bit of a hurry might want to try Ebay used parts or local salvage yards. First look in the classified on this forum. When people go aftermarket they often sell their stock springs and usually at a pretty low price.
      07-08-2019, 01:49 AM   #7
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I don't think the front springs changed with LCI. Rear on some cars did but it was supposedly only a change from a progressive to linear spring rate.

Springs for any one car are based on the model and the options of the car (weight). E82 and E9x springs are interchangeable providing they are the right code/part no. for the car's weight.

I'd advise replacing both fronts. The fact that one broke shows they have suffered some deterioration and having one newer with the other original won't be good. Buying used springs is usually fine if the used ones aren't bad. The only way I know to tell is if they are relatively new and/or haven't been in a car that's been on salted roads.

Since you are in a bit of a hurry might want to try Ebay used parts or local salvage yards. First look in the classified on this forum. When people go aftermarket they often sell their stock springs and usually at a pretty low price.
Thanks for the clarification! The part number you supplied earlier seems to be the right one. I hate to say that, but the spring wasn't bent from use, rather, it's because of my own actions. I was a "little bit" unprepared for this project yesterday, meaning I was missing some ratchets and sockets so had to take out some stuff with a breaker bar, and that was very slow. Finally, when I assembled the strut again, I put one washer into the incorrect spot, and long story short, when trying to compress the spring more after I already got the shock shaft nut removed, I somehow managed to compress it unevenly - that harbor freight impact gun really sucks, it's hard to control.
I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and try to get the springs from one of my local dealers which usually has okay prices. Salvage yards, ebay and forum ads might take too long, don't see too many sport package shocks/springs there. The car is still up in the air, otherwise I would look for used springs.
On another note - if both springs were actually in a good shape before I took them out, is it okay to replace only one spring? I don't want to cheap out and want to do it right, but if this is perfectly acceptable, then let's do that.
      07-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification! The part number you supplied earlier seems to be the right one. I hate to say that, but the spring wasn't bent from use, rather, it's because of my own actions. I was a "little bit" unprepared for this project yesterday, meaning I was missing some ratchets and sockets so had to take out some stuff with a breaker bar, and that was very slow. Finally, when I assembled the strut again, I put one washer into the incorrect spot, and long story short, when trying to compress the spring more after I already got the shock shaft nut removed, I somehow managed to compress it unevenly - that harbor freight impact gun really sucks, it's hard to control.
I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and try to get the springs from one of my local dealers which usually has okay prices. Salvage yards, ebay and forum ads might take too long, don't see too many sport package shocks/springs there. The car is still up in the air, otherwise I would look for used springs.
On another note - if both springs were actually in a good shape before I took them out, is it okay to replace only one spring? I don't want to cheap out and want to do it right, but if this is perfectly acceptable, then let's do that.
Yep - finding the right springs used might take some time. And I plugged in the part number and they are surprisingly expensive new.

Perhaps if the other spring is in very good condition you'd only end up with a bit of a lean toward one side until the new spring settled and sagged.

However, I wouldn't replace one side only on 10 year old springs. Maybe just replace the broken one and see if you notice anything negative?
      07-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

I think I have to agree with you that replacing only one side with 10 year old springs might not be prudent. Called FCP Euro this morning and double checked if they got aftermarket replacement springs for my car. Got a pair of Lesjofors springs about 50 bucks each which should be a direct replacement for my OEM springs. Should be here on Wednesday or Thursday. Called my dealer as well, they don’t have springs in stock and will take the same amount of time to get them, not to mention the price which was quoted to be about 312$.
Appreciate 1
gjm1202183.00
      07-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #10
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think I have to agree with you that replacing only one side with 10 year old springs might not be prudent. Called FCP Euro this morning and double checked if they got aftermarket replacement springs for my car. Got a pair of Lesjofors springs about 50 bucks each which should be a direct replacement for my OEM springs. Should be here on Wednesday or Thursday. Called my dealer as well, they don’t have springs in stock and will take the same amount of time to get them, not to mention the price which was quoted to be about 312$.
Good! Post back how it all works out.
      07-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #11
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Yep, will do)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:00 AM   #12
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

btw, would you recommend this spring compressor:
https://www.harborfreight.com/single...sor-43753.html
instead of Autozone/O'Reilly rentals?
      07-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
btw, would you recommend this spring compressor:
https://www.harborfreight.com/single...sor-43753.html
instead of Autozone/O'Reilly rentals?
I don't know if that one will work. I bought this one and it works well...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More expensive but safer than the hook types.

Another option is find a shop that will do the assembly for you. Most will charge about the same as the compressor set I linked.
      07-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #14
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Ordered this one as well, if HFT spring compressor doesn’t work, I’ll just return it or vice versa. This is not the only car I’ll have to do the shocks on, will have to do shocks on my other car soon, so makes sense to purchase a tool instead of going to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:59 PM   #15
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Compared to new springs, look identical to my spring, though slightly longer. Look exactly the same when put on the shock without shock but on, maybe it’s not bent after all?
Attached Images

Last edited by fastboatster; 07-11-2019 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #16
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

If by being bent you meant it sat lopsided on the strut before putting the strut together - no it probably wasn't bad. I figured you saw something in the spring that wasn't apparent in the pics you posted. That curvature is what makes getting the spring on the strut properly a little difficult. I've seen shops with a wall mounted spring compressor get the rubber spring pads on such that they were not making good contact between the strut and the top mount. At least you didn't spend the big money on BMW springs. The new spring is longer likely just due to the age and sagging of your original spring.

Compare the wire thickness of the two. If on close inspection the old springs look really good and the thickness of the two pair of springs are similar, you have two choices:

1. Return the Lesjofors and reuse the original ones. Although replacing 10 yr old springs is good IF it's the right spring in terms of spring rate. There are quite a few D code springs with each one being picked based on the car's options (=weight). Since yours was D4, I'm guessing your car isn't heavily optioned.

2. Install the new springs and see how it rides and the ride height. Give it a little time to settle if ride height seems high. Downside is a lot of work if you decide to reuse the original springs and maybe you've wasted the expense on the Lesjofors.

I'm sorry I can't give any more definitive advice.

You should replace the strut mounting hardware, especially the top mount. They wear and a new mount will give an increased in ride height even if everything else is the same.
      07-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #17
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

I think I’ll just install the new springs, definitely doesn’t hurt to replace 10 year old springs. Got all the new hardware ready as well, just couldn’t compress the springs again yesterday. Will try with Amazon tool today. Worst case, I’ll just have some shop install the springs for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #18
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think I’ll just install the new springs, definitely doesn’t hurt to replace 10 year old springs. Got all the new hardware ready as well, just couldn’t compress the springs again yesterday. Will try with Amazon tool today. Worst case, I’ll just have some shop install the springs for me.
Sounds like a good path. Be careful and take your time with the spring compressors. I find those so much easier to use and safer than then hook types.
      07-12-2019, 05:18 AM   #19
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Compared to new springs, look identical to my spring, though slightly longer. Look exactly the same when put on the shock without shock but on, maybe it’s not bent after all?
Yes, spring is ok, you just need proper tools to install it correctly. If the part number is different they will have different rate although looking identical.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #20
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Part number matches OE, so that should be good. On the other note, I decided to have a shop install the springs for me. All looks good, just a little detail which slightly worries me - there’re some small gaps between the spring ends and rubber spring pads
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #21
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

That should be ok. Maybe you can compress the spring just a little and shift it very gently?

My first suspension change I bought all the parts and had a shop assemble the strut and got this. There was metal on metal contact that wasn't acceptable.
Had to pay another shop to get it right.
Attached Images

07-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #22
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Come to think of it, if I move the spring so that it comes fully into contact with one rubber bumper, it’ll move away from another. Let’s say that now it’s a “happy” medium, most likely caused by the fact that these are not OEM springs but a close match. Or not, and something like this doesn’t happen, say, for H&R springs. Let’s just finally throw those onto the car.