Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Do I need spacers???

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
chrismb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i e90

Do I need spacers???

Hello everyone,

So I have an E93 BMW 2012 335i

I purchased 18x8 ET40 squared BBS CH-R wheels on 225/40/18. I haven't put them on my vehicle yet, however, when i purchased them from tirerack, they said it should fit on my car with no problems.

Now, I have purchased KW Street Comfort Coilover that i also plan to install in maybe 2-3 weeks. When purchased from tirerack, it said that spacers may be needed depending on vehicle when installed

Would spacers be needed after the KW installation? I'm also looking for a flush look
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

There is no way of knowing until you install the coilovers and let it settle. At that point, install one side and see how it fits. People will usually do the suspension before buying tire and wheels, it allows you to get under the vehicle and measure the clearance.
      07-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Your front is the same width and will be 6mm closer to the suspension than the stock wheel.

Your rear wheel is .5" narrower. It will be 3.3mm further away from the suspension, and 9.3mm sunk in from the fender edge, as compared to stock.

You'll need/want spacers. If stock front wheels need spacers, it's a safe bet yours will. Your rears will fit without them, but will look terrible. Your rear tires are also 3 sizes narrower than stock. Really the wrong set of wheels/tires for a 335i.

For reference, I'm using 18x8 +34 and 18x8.5 +37 for the comparison to stock wheels.

EDIT: Unless you're only asking about the front and your rears are a different spec. In that case, disregard what I said about the rears.

Last edited by Emilime75; 07-09-2019 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
chrismb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Your front is the same width and will be 6mm closer to the suspension than the stock wheel.

Your rear wheel is .5" narrower. It will be 3.3mm further away from the suspension, and 9.3mm sunk in from the fender edge, as compared to stock.

You'll need/want spacers. If stock front wheels need spacers, it's a safe bet yours will. Your rears will fit without them, but will look terrible. Your rear tires are also 3 sizes narrower than stock. Really the wrong set of wheels/tires for a 335i.

For reference, I'm using 18x8 +34 and 18x8.5 +37 for the comparison to stock wheels.

EDIT: Unless you're only asking about the front and your rears are a different spec. In that case, disregard what I said about the rears.
im kind of new to all of this

my stock wheels were 17x8 all around when i bought the vehicle

So would you know exactly what type of spacers i would need and exact mm so i can order them online?

is the only thing ill need is spacers?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
chrismb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
There is no way of knowing until you install the coilovers and let it settle. At that point, install one side and see how it fits. People will usually do the suspension before buying tire and wheels, it allows you to get under the vehicle and measure the clearance.
my current wheels are 17x8 and im upgrading to 18x8

it still makes more sense to install coilover and let it settle before putting on tires?

I'm assuming since im going up to 17's, i'd get coilovers installed and keep in mind to adjust 1" lower to whatever my preference would be?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

The wheel sizes I referenced are the optional 18s that come stock on the E90/91/92/93 335i.

I can't give you an exact number as that depends on the look you're after and what additional work you're willing/able to do like alignment/camber, rolling/pulling/shaving fenders...but, what I can suggest is to research the Wheel and Tire sub-forum here to see what size spacers people have used. Only use references where exact wheel widths and offsets are stated, then use https://www.willtheyfit.com/ and some basic math to figure out what spacers you need to achieve the look you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
chrismb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
The wheel sizes I referenced are the optional 18s that come stock on the E90/91/92/93 335i.

I can't give you an exact number as that depends on the look you're after and what additional work you're willing/able to do like alignment/camber, rolling/pulling/shaving fenders...but, what I can suggest is to research the Wheel and Tire sub-forum here to see what size spacers people have used. Only use references where exact wheel widths and offsets are stated, then use https://www.willtheyfit.com/ and some basic math to figure out what spacers you need to achieve the look you want.
gotcha thanks. I will do the research

however, when it comes to spacers is there a top brand that people usually prefer? or that doesnt matter too much?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Go with a quality, name brand. H&R and BMS are the 2 that come to mind. I've only ever used H&R, personally.

No eBay crap.

Make sure you get the the appropriate length lug bolts for whatever spacer sizes you choose. Stock ones are not long enough when spacers are added, except for maybe a 5mm at max.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It's best to do the suspension, let it settle for a few days and then buy the appropriate size tire/wheel combo that doesn't require spacers.