Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Screeching metallic sound in the rear?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #23
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: VIP Sport 335!

Garage List
since not under warranty anymore, gonna upgrade to different disc and pads when pads wear out.

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #24
jomegared
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Can anyone provide an update to their noise problem?

Hey guys and gals, I just got an '06 330i and am having exactly the same problem as everyone else on here. The car is well out of warranty and I was wondering if anyone actually installed aftermarket brake pads and if that cleared out the problem or not?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #25
jomegared
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy@AUTOcouture View Post
Is it this sound?

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kxdE12B8QXM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kxdE12B8QXM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

This is my video when I had my car... It is the brake pads touching the rotor, the dealer is going to have to shave off the pad but it will only help for about 60 miles. These cars have defective pads.
You don't still have this video do you?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #26
DISCOtecizzz
Rolling Plants/Building Racecars
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI

I would drive around and warm up the car till you hear the sound.
Then, take the car home, put it up on jack stands and rotate the wheels.
If you can get the same sound by doing this, take the wheels off.
Inspect for any contact points.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #27
e90jd
Rep
Drives: 3

Sorry to bump this thread but did aftermarket pads fix this for anybody?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #28
GAAEcuador
Ecuador
Rep
Drives: F30 320i 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieman78 View Post
The last few weeks I noticed a screeching sound coming from the rear. It sounds like metal on metal. Can't tell if its from the left or right tire side. The screeching ONLY happens when i am going 10-25 miles per hour Don't hear it at higher speeds. Also I noticed that in the morning when i leave for work there is no screetching. The car is cool then. Once I drive for a while and the car, brakes, wheels heat up then I can hear the screeching at the low speeds. Its not the brakes. No sound when i step on the brakes. Only when i am rolling or stepping on the gas.

I have the stock OEM 189 style wheels with spacers. 12mm in the back. I've had the spacers for a while and never had a problem with screeching before. A few weeks ago before this started I had a flat on the left rear. I have the run-flats. I went and got it patched up for $20 at the tire shop. Since then I noticed they put balancing weights on my left rear tire. Since the flat tire is when i've been noticing the screeching. Did they mess something up at thos shop?

I took the rear tires off and rechecked the spacers and re-torqued the wheels at 88lbs. sound is still there. What could this be. Drives me nuts. Every time i am in parking lot or slowing down at the red lights it screeches and it just doesn't look good to have a nice car like this making this noise.

Any suggestions??
I have the exact same problem on my 2018 F30, and the noise doesn't go away (EVER!), only when I drive past 25mph...

I've taken it to the dealer seven times and they say I have to replace discs (and are not covered under warranty - I'm still within the 2 years). The noise started at 14.000km and it's now at 24.000km on the clock and it still sounds the same...

Anybody finally found the solution? Pleeease
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #29
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

You bump a seven year old thread with an F Series issue? You may want to head over to the F30 forum.