E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Question on charcoal kettle smoking

07-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

Question on charcoal kettle smoking

So a couple of questions (carrying on from a previous thread, but more specific)

on this kettle it has a temp gauge, on first use (to get rid of the oils) I used a chimney, with a couple of firestarters and some fuel... (so for the real go, I won't be using firestarters and fuel .. just the charcoal and paper method)

Now I noticed when the coals got to white ash powder closed the lid, the temp gauge zoomed around to past the 500 mark, and jammed stopped at 100 !

So the idea iwill be indirect cook method, coals on one side, other size foil container with water and wood chips, place the brisket over the water and ensure the vent is over the meat, so the heat and smoke go over/through the meat

aim is to smoke it at 250, for however long

NOW (maybe some dumb questions)

1> should I sear it at a higher temp to get the bark ?

2> If not, I assume I let the heat go down by using the dampers etc, to get it to 250 (or thereabouts)

3> Do I turn the brisket

4> Do I wrap it with some liquid in foil, i.e. texas crutch method) is the bark not as good ?

5> Also seen not to keep opening the lid
6> do I baste it at all
7> planning on injecting it with a beef broth
8> using a dry rub just S&P

9> Bottom dampers should be fully open, top vent damper, should be only 1/4 open ?

I'm learning, so not too worried about being too professional at the moment

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

full brisket point and flat

pecan wood in with the briqets

and hickory wood chips for the smoke
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
So a couple of questions

I'll try to help where I can...

---aim lower if you can. Smokiing is more 210 (they say 190...I say 210) to 225. To do this, put a bunch of unburned charcoal in your grill with your wood...and only chimney start about 10 coals

---No...not for a long smoke. If you char the outside, the smoke will not penetrate the meat.

2> If not, I assume I let the heat go down by using the dampers etc, to get it to 250 (or thereabouts)
---use the method I listed above...bottom dampers nearly closed, upper maybe 1/2 way. You may need to play with this to get a sealy temp where it doesn't choke the heat.

3> Do I turn the brisket
---no...fat side up for the entire cook.

4> Do I wrap it with some liquid in foil, i.e. texas crutch method) is the bark not as good ?
---when the meat gets to 5 degrees from the temp you're looking for, you can tightly wrap in foil...no liquid,...wrap a towel around it and place in an empty cooler for 30 minutes, it will continue to cook and your retain natural juices. Temp your meat too high, and it will pull like pulled pork. Don't overcook it.

---correct, get a remote temp that you can run the wire out and see all the temps without opening. Brisket takes a while, so you may need to add charcoal through the burn.

6> do I baste it at all
---brisket...not needed. You may spray with apple juice if you want,

---your choice. I don't inject into my body...nor do I inject my meat

---dry rub FTW. Plenty of recipes online.

9> Bottom dampers should be fully open, top vent damper, should be only 1/4 open ?
---I don't smoke in my kettle...but have a VWB. They run 1/2 on the bottom, 1/2 on top. You'll need to work this to get your sweet spot, but I think a full open on the bottom will get too hot.

Once you get the temp set...it's a waiting game.

For wood...mesquite and hickory are to pungent go with white oak and a fruit wood (cherry or apple)

Best of luck
Appreciate 2
jaye9441007.00
DETRoadster11456.00
      07-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
Jackntulee
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post

---aim lower if you can. Smokiing is more 210 (they say 190...I say 210) to 225. To do this, put a bunch of unburned charcoal in your grill with your wood...and only chimney start about 10 coals

---No...not for a long smoke. If you char the outside, the smoke will not penetrate the meat.

---use the method I listed above...bottom dampers nearly closed, upper maybe 1/2 way. You may need to play with this to get a sealy temp where it doesn't choke the heat.

3> Do I turn the brisket

---when the meat gets to 5 degrees from the temp you're looking for, you can tightly wrap in foil...no liquid,...wrap a towel around it and place in an empty cooler for 30 minutes, it will continue to cook and your retain natural juices. Temp your meat too high, and it will pull like pulled pork. Don't overcook it.

---correct, get a remote temp that you can run the wire out and see all the temps without opening. Brisket takes a while, so you may need to add charcoal through the burn.

6> do I baste it at all

---I don't smoke in my kettle...but have a VWB. They run 1/2 on the bottom, 1/2 on top. You'll need to work this to get your sweet spot, but I think a full open on the bottom will get too hot.

For wood...mesquite and hickory are to pungent go with white oak and a fruit wood (cherry or apple)

Best of luck
+1
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      07-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

NICE Reply, full of great advice txs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post

3> Do I turn the brisket

6> do I baste it at all

Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

and the +1 from jack, confirms it

many thankxs

I know I have had several threads on her about BBQ'ing. so THANKS for bearing with me

J
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
and the +1 from jack, confirms it

many thankxs

I know I have had several threads on her about BBQ'ing. so THANKS for bearing with me

J
No worries. Your first one will not be perfect. take notes...keep them for the next one you do. Each one will get better and better...then, when you think you're the expert, mother nature will give you a monsoon to deal with 1/2 way through your smoke to keep your ego in check.

Wish I was nearby to snag a piece Posting pics in the BBQ thread makes everyone jealous....