E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Headlight washer problem

11-26-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
Vid
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-sport

Headlight washer problem

Hi guys,

This morning I think was the first time I'd held my windscreen washer on long enought to activate the headlight washers.

Only now the near side one hasn't retracted fully and is sticking out slightly.

Is there anything I can do before I have to take it to BMW?

Thanks,

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

I think a reason why they are remain protruded has to do with the expansion of the washer fluid within. It may suggest your washer fluid mix is too weak, given the prevailing conditions.

Should sort itself out as the car reaches oeprating temp. and the fluid liquifies.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
Vid
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah right ok, that's good news, I will sort my mixture out ASAP. It does seem to have gone down slightly in the last 10 mins, so fingers crossed.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
garysargent
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Mine this week didn't pop back in properly - it must have turned slightly so when it retracted it was at a funny angle. As a result some of the plastic snapped.

Amazingly my dealer (Wakefield Sandall) told me this is not a part covered by BMW under warranty!

He blamed the frost, however I pointed out that (a) my car has not frosted over once yet, being kept in the garage, and (b) even if that was the case the car should work correctly in normal conditions for the country in which it is sold.

Anyway the part was only £33 so I didn't kick up a big fuss. I'm tempted to just disable the washers since they seem pretty pointless anyway and just waste screenwash and spray it all over your bonnet. As I understand it pulling fuse 43 will achieve this. Is that correct, and can anyone see any problems with doing this?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
Hi guys,

This morning I think was the first time I'd held my windscreen washer on long enought to activate the headlight washers.

Only now the near side one hasn't retracted fully and is sticking out slightly.

Is there anything I can do before I have to take it to BMW?

Thanks,

Dave
Just wait for it to thaw and push it back in. You must be frugle with the screen wash or have quick fingers!! - the headlight washers start about 1/2 second or less after pulling the screen wash lever.

I find it tricky not starting the headlight washers as you have to be so quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysargent View Post
however I pointed out that (a) my car has not frosted over once yet, being kept in the garage, and (b) even if that was the case the car should work correctly in normal conditions for the country in which it is sold.
The car does work correctly if you use 50/50+ winter mix of screen wash - but that costs a packet!

Even when garaged, the headlamp washers will freeze in the windchill as you drive and, unlike the screen nozzles, they don't get any warm air from the engine to thaw them.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Vid
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Update to mine (just popped out to look), they are back to normal!! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Vid
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
You must be frugle with the screen wash or have quick fingers!! - the headlight washers start about 1/2 second or less after pulling the screen wash lever.

I find it tricky not starting the headlight washers as you have to be so quick.
I usually literally flick it once to get a single shot of water, usually does the trick!
Appreciate 0