E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Anybody wash their car at night?

03-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
theskunk
Private
Rep
Drives: none yet

Anybody wash their car at night?

So I'm sitting on the couch, right?

And my car is filthy, right?

And I want to wash my car, but alas, it is 9:21pm EST. (aka, dark...)

I have lights in the garage, and i have flood lights outside... but i'm still nice and concerned about this. I typically get home a bit late and don't have a lot of time during daylight hours (typical workaholic).

Anybody have any suggestions here?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
07_335i_AW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Yup.. done it before. I have the daytime look lights in my garage so it worked out pretty well. It was just a quick wash because it rained in the middle of the week and it was gonna be sunny for the next few days. I definitely did almost fully close the garage door (open enough for the hose to pass under) so that people won't think it was really crazy. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Go wash her. If I was in an area that was warmer, I'd wash my car right now happily. Just keep in mind if you plan on using a pressure washer, you shouldn't wait until too late due to noise.

Advantage to washing at night is a reduced risk of water spotting: you're washing your car in a nice cool environment which is ideal.
The problem is not seeing as well and potentially missing some areas or not cleaning quite as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
theskunk
Private
Rep

@MuttGrunt:

The missing spots is what i'm really worried about, lol! I think everything else will be fine.

Thanks for the go ahead
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_335i_AW View Post
Yup.. done it before. I have the daytime look lights in my garage so it worked out pretty well. It was just a quick wash because it rained in the middle of the week and it was gonna be sunny for the next few days. I definitely did almost fully close the garage door (open enough for the hose to pass under) so that people won't think it was really crazy. lol

Rock on!

I've done it before in the summer myself. Did a full wash (to include my wheels and exhaust tips of course), then pulled her into the garage and waxed her

Did this between 10-11pm. My g/f knows me well enough that she didn't think anything of it. Got to love a detailer's g/f

I request the OP take a couple pics to share for those of us jealous of not being able to wash our babies due to weather.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
theskunk
Private
Rep

/me gets out the big 'effin flash for the camera... :-D
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
/me gets out the big 'effin flash for the camera... :-D
If others are like me - I won't care about picture quality. A dark pic in which its hard to see is A LOT better than what most of us have right now!
Now get out there!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
theskunk
Private
Rep

soooo the attachment thing isn't working -- time to go create a flickr account i believe...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
theskunk
Private
Rep

Here we go. Just finished washing my 2011 335d msport. Ti Silver/black. Its a beautiful subject, and very cooperative. Holds any position I tell it to hold (assuming in park and i set the e-brake...)

First a few before shots:

(probably doesn't show much dirt. blah.)

And now the 'after' (nice and clean, with a shot or two of my 'work space')

Verdict: Washing your car at night is fun, and can draw a bit of attention. Just be careful to make sure you feel for spots that need to be washed. Further more, its a good idea to have more than your normal drying arsenal handy -- I ended up using two waffle microfiber cloths instead of one, as water simply isn't evaporating as quickly off the car.

Last edited by theskunk; 03-02-2011 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

i need a garage!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
theskunk
Private
Rep

They should include one with every bmw. its like a build-a-bear that comes with its own little house...

Another observation I'll make -- I carried a trouble light around the car with me once it was in the garage to make sure i didn't miss anything. For the door sills/trunk surround I just hit it with some speed shine... anybody see that as a problem/recommend an alternative chemical?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 VW GTI

I once washed my car at night. Keep in mind I did it in front of my house with sub par lighting, Needless to say I re-washed it the next morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just look at the inside of the barrel of the wheel!
Looks outstanding, and it allows you to go to bed happy. Even better is when you wake up the next day and see your CLEAN baby in the garage
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

I live in Mississippi. The weather is hot and shitty here so I actually prefer to wash at night if I can help it. I also find myself getting frustrated over rock chips, marks, etc less because everything looks better at night!

Beautiful car by the way!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
theskunk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Just look at the inside of the barrel of the wheel!
Looks outstanding, and it allows you to go to bed happy. Even better is when you wake up the next day and see your CLEAN baby in the garage
I love it -- and yes, i wipe down the wheels and behind the spokes 1x week on the front, every other on the rear (at least for the barrells) -- face and spokes get it weekly front and rear. I REFUSE to become one of those bmw's that has permanently black front wheels.

Thanks for the compliment on the car -- I <3 my baby... esp the bit of a diesel growl as i haul off the line...

Anybody know of a tool that will make cleaning the wheels easier? I've been thinking about one of the drill attachments...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #16
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
very nice
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love it -- and yes, i wipe down the wheels and behind the spokes 1x week on the front, every other on the rear (at least for the barrells) -- face and spokes get it weekly front and rear. I REFUSE to become one of those bmw's that has permanently black front wheels.

Thanks for the compliment on the car -- I <3 my baby... esp the bit of a diesel growl as i haul off the line...

Anybody know of a tool that will make cleaning the wheels easier? I've been thinking about one of the drill attachments...

That's the way to do it. You're car has great brakes and brake pads, but of course this means they dust a lot. The only thing you can do is properly clean them more often. I'm not sure what tools / equipment / products you're using, but I'd highly recommend a quality wheel cleaner (in the event you're only using car wash soap right now), a tool like the EZ Detail Brush ( http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Acce.../Full-Size-S1/ ), and an easy to use spray sealant (I personally like Optimum's Opti-Seal http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...-P279/8-oz-S1/ ).

Every other cleaning or so I like to use an actual wheel cleaner as it's extremely effective. For other cleaning (especially light cleaning), using car wash shampoo seems to work ok, especially if the wheels had previously been coated with some type of protection. At all times I use various brushes which are quicker and easier to use than towels.

Something I like to do is keep two EZ Detail brushes handy: one stays bent like an "L" and one stays straight. The straight one gets the barrels, the bent one gets behind the spokes and around the hub.

While that's just my wheel advice, it certainly looks like you're all over yours: they look perfect as does the rest of your car. Beautiful ride: not a lot of 335d's around (I think I've only seen two on the road).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
You can't go wrong with Marc's suggestion. I've seen his threads and the wheels look brand new inside out. Another option to use to get to the barrels is to use a drill attachment as you've been thinking about. I've tried using the Ace TurboStick and it worked pretty well. You won't get them as clean cleaning them by hand once the wheels are off, but it's an option worth considering. A couple vendors on here carry them as well.

http://aceturbostick.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
theskunk
Private
Rep

Right now i'm just using microfiber cloths and a bit of elbow grease. It seems pretty effective, but takes FOREVER. and I can only reach so far into the barrel with that method. I'm using a polymer based speed shine for a cleaning product, works great and keeps them clean without letting too much stick.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #20
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

If you are going to go with the Ace TurboStick drill attachment - I'd recommend going with the current promo that Detailaddict.com is running:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailAddict View Post
2/22/2011

Pickup an ACE TurboStick and our Detail Addict Engine & Wheel Cleaner with FREE SHIPPING via USPS! Use coupon code "freeshipping" today!

Leo
Link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478034
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #21
theskunk
Private
Rep

that looks great -- i think i'm going to start with the brushes you receommended earlier -- they look fantastic and i think they will work with the cleaner i'm already using (which helps)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #22
theskunk
Private
Rep

Another question (btw, thanks for all the advice you guys have already provided!)

How do you clean the brushes once you've used them, and how do you guys clean your mf towels once they get a nice coating of crap on them? I'm about out of the 12 pack I bought a few weeks ago, and Just need to get them clean!
Appreciate 0