E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cheap Amazon catch cans....worth it?

08-18-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Cheap Amazon catch cans....worth it?

I've seen a bunch of cheap oil catch can kits for N54's on amazon....like $35 or less. I'm assuming they are only for the low pressure side of the pcv system.

Any benefit to installing one of these? Do they work to keep oil out of the intake system??
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #2
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

The cheap ones that I've seen don't have any kind of screen or baffle in them to catch and condense the oil vapour so is it really any better than just a hose? Sure it might stop a little bit of oil but why bother for such a small result?
      08-18-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

What about this one? Looks to have a screen/baffle in it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KM1BNJ4..._hTjpFbVJTJDRS
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 10:27 PM   #4
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

I have an ebay one i bought for $40 or so and has a baffle in it. Works just fine other than the supplied o-ring is dried out
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 10:34 PM   #5
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHWARZ_E92 View Post
I have an ebay one i bought for $40 or so and has a baffle in it. Works just fine other than the supplied o-ring is dried out
How much oil does it collect?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 10:45 PM   #6
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post

Yeah, that one should be alright. I haven't seen any under about a $100 that had anything at all in the can.
      08-18-2020, 11:27 PM   #7
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHWARZ_E92 View Post
How much oil does it collect?
Well im at 165k miles. Ill check it on my next oil change. Didnt check it on my last so when i check it will be 10k miles since it was emptied.

[s]Last 2 oil changes, when i emptied it, there wasnt an insane amount of oil but there wasnt just a little bit. Less than 1/4 full at the very most[/s]

A very small amount of oil was collected.

Edit: the last amazon one you linked is the same catch can i have
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:31 PM   #8
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

The thing about catch cans for these cars is you don't just need a catch can, it wont catch all that much as SCHWARZ pointed out. When adding a catch can you need to go to external PCV valve and also plug the head ports under the valve cover. Then you'll see a lot more oil/byproduct being caught in the can.

I'd recommend RB turbo 's external PCV setup or atleast set your car up like his system.
Appreciate 2
Torgus3781.50
      08-18-2020, 11:33 PM   #9
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
...I'm assuming they are only for the low pressure side of the pcv system...
It's actually the opposite, and the reason why they catch so little. These, and the majority of the OCCs out there, including the BMS one that's been around for years and a lot of people have, work on the "high side". IOW, at high RPM, where you don't spend a lot of time at. To get the most benefit from an OCC, you need one to work on the "low side", during lower RPM where you spend most of your time driving around. To get that you need one that connects to the PCV, and not the flapper hose. A specific type of OCC is also needed, and externalizing the PCV helps even more. Google the RB external PCV thread on the other forum for a lot of really good info on this. The thing about tapping and plugging the ports is not necessary, but it is another worth while step in keeping oil off of your valves and prolonging the walnut blast interval.

I've got the full RB external PCV kit, Mishimoto can and I plugged my ports when I did my valve cover. It catches a good bit of oil.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #10
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
The thing about catch cans for these cars is you don't just need a catch can, it wont catch all that much as SCHWARZ pointed out. When adding a catch can you need to go to external PCV valve and also plug the head ports under the valve cover. Then you'll see a lot more oil/byproduct being caught in the can.

I'd recommend RB turbo 's external PCV setup or atleast set your car up like his system.
Can confirm it wont catch as much as i said. I just went back to a video i have of when i emptied it and there wasnt much in the can at all
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 04:54 PM   #11
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Lightbulb

Quote:

About 2 months ago, i ordered two different oil catch cans for my F30 N55 from amazon.

The one i ended up installing is similar to the above link (but i barely paid $35 for another brand).

The second oil catch can i ordered is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Tasan-Racing-...3E2EFMGPK&th=1

The reason i bought the two of them at the same time was because i wanted to physically compare them first before making the final decision...
Unfortunately i couldn't do the comparison due to delay in shipping of the second one, it didn't arrive fast enough by the time I had to complete the maintenance of my car before the smog check due date in July.

So now, i have a spare oil catch can that i have no use..
I started the return process to the seller, but since the seller is in China, and the post office wants to charge me even more than the price i paid for the oil catch can in the first place, it made no sense to me...

I might as well help a brother (or sister) out instead:

i can sell it to one of you here, but you know what?

In spirit of the difficult time we currently live in right now, I already lost $20, i dont want to lose another $20 to the post office, and i dont care about getting back $20 right now... conclusion i will give this second oil catch can to one of you for free...

The "catch" is i wont mail it.

you will have to be local and come pick it up....

It is still in its box, i haven't even open it, you can open the box yourself/together once you come by...
i can also show you how i installed mine on the car.

If anyone here close by in the SoCal (LA/Riverside/OC) metropolitan area is interested, let me know then we can make arrangements to help your N54 breath cleaner...

again: this is free, but you have to pick up...

Get it out of my hand guys/gals, i cant be bothered returning it to the seller...

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 08-27-2020 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
About 2 months ago, i ordered two different oil catch cans for my F30 N55 from amazon.

The one i ended up installing is similar to the above link (but i barely paid $35 for another brand).

The reason i bought the two of them at the same time was because i wanted to physically compare them first before making the final decision...
Unfortunately i couldn't do the comparison due to delay in shipping of the second one, it didn't arrive fast enough by the time I had to complete the maintenance of my car before the smog check due date in July.

I started the return process to the seller, but since the seller is in China, and the post office wants to charge me even more than the price i paid for the oil catch can in the first place, it made no sense to me...

In spirit of the difficult time we currently live in right now, I already lost $20, i dont want to lose another $20 to the post office, and i dont care about getting back $20 right now... conclusion i will give this second oil catch can to one of you for free...

It is still in its box, i haven't even open it, you can open the box yourself/together once you come by...

If anyone here close by in the SoCal (LA/Riverside/OC) metropolitan area is interested, let me know then we can make arrangements to help your N54 breath cleaner...

Get it out of my hand guys/gals, i cant be bothered returning it to the seller...
The 2nd one you pictured is basically a copy/same as the one RB turbos sells.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #13
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

Thanks for the info! Just ordered that catch can off of Amazon for $20!

Can someone give me an idea on the correct way to plumb it into the pcv system??
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #14
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Just ordered that catch can off of Amazon for $20!

Can someone give me an idea on the correct way to plumb it into the pcv system??
Follow RB turbo's external PCV setup. that's the proper way
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #15
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Follow RB turbo's external PCV setup. that's the proper way
They don't really have an "instruction sheet" I could find.....they just point you to a bunch of web forum links. When looking through the links they point you to, it seems like everyone is plumbing them in a little different. Some people are drilling and tapping the intakes, some people are plugging the ports in the heads. Some people are just installing it inline with the OEM Pcv valve coming out of the back of the intake....some people are doing a combination of all of that......very confusing.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #16
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

There is one thread that it points to that is the install that he recommends.

It is using an external pcv in the valve cover, with head ports plugged, running the pcv to the catch can, and also running a line from the intake manifold to the other port on the catch can, usually using his vacuum adapter for the throttle body line.

Edit: sorry, its actually on this forum and not in his links, my bad.

Follow this; https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...b+external+pcv
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 04:15 PM   #17
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Technically, I don't think you have to use the aftermarket PCV and you definitely don't have to plug the head ports. But, to take full advantage of the OCC you should do both. As IllSic said, you'll need a good vacuum source on the output of the can. The RB TB adapter makes it easy and reversible, but you can drill/tap/epoxy a fitting to the manifold if you want to go the cheaper route.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 04:48 PM   #18
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Technically, I don't think you have to use the aftermarket PCV and you definitely don't have to plug the head ports. But, to take full advantage of the OCC you should do both. As IllSic said, you'll need a good vacuum source on the output of the can. The RB TB adapter makes it easy and reversible, but you can drill/tap/epoxy a fitting to the manifold if you want to go the cheaper route.
It's not necessary(I haven't plugged my ports yet and still get plenty of oil trapped) but as you said if you want to maximize the setup and take full advantage you definitely should do it all, especially if running higher boost levels and such. Next time I have the valve cover off I'm going to plug the head ports.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #19
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

So if I don't want to drill/tap in the intake or tap and plug the heads....can instill use the catch can?.if so.... what's the best way to plum it in?

Even if it's getting a little oil out of the system, that's better than nothing. The next time I pull the intake I can drill/tap it..and plug the heads.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #20
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Then do everything in that link I posted but the head port plugging.

You need external pcv, install into cover then a line from that to catch can. Then for the other spot on the catch can run a line from the intake manifold(RB turbo sells an adapter piece to use on the stock throttle body location to add this 2nd line)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #21
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Then do everything in that link I posted but the head port plugging.

You need external pcv, install into cover then a line from that to catch can. Then for the other spot on the catch can run a line from the intake manifold(RB turbo sells an adapter piece to use on the stock throttle body location to add this 2nd line)
Where is a good place to get the external pcv from??
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #22
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where is a good place to get the external pcv from??
lol..... RB turbo

RB's exteral PCV/catch can setup is like the go to design/setup that most everyone uses for N54's
Appreciate 2
Torgus3781.50