E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Headlight washer not retracting fully

04-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #1
dephrank
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI saloon

Headlight washer not retracting fully

My headlight washer stops halfway after I use it. Haven't owned a BMW with one of these.
Do I need to change a part or is it a WD40 thing?

In other related news, not sure why its first owner opted for washers with halogen headlights. They seem mismatched and out of place
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 02:13 AM   #2
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

I've got the same issue. New units required and bumper off to fit them. Haven't got round to doing mine yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 04:24 AM   #3
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Mine used to so this, I found changing my washer fluid to the premixed stuff that BP sell cured it. The fluid feels quite slippery.

Mine used to stick out further than yours do in the picture, and have been fine for the last couple of years now.

Also I had read a guy with the same problem took the washer lines apart and found a filter on the return in the main reservoir that was clogged and stopping the fluid from fully returning thus holding the jets open. I wonder if when I filled my empty resvoir up I washed some of this crud off the filter which cured my issue.

Anyway the moral of my story, don't change the jet assembly straight away, Check the lines and filter are clean first as that may be the problem. Crud can and does get into the hose via the seals in the jet assembly.

Also try spreying some silicon spray lubrican down the shafts of the units to lubricate the o rings. Spray it in then activate the washers to get the piston working in and out to work the silicon lubricant into the o ring.

If none of that works then I guess you will need some new units.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 12:47 PM   #4
dephrank
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
Mine used to so this, I found changing my washer fluid to the premixed stuff that BP sell cured it. The fluid feels quite slippery.

Mine used to stick out further than yours do in the picture, and have been fine for the last couple of years now.

Also I had read a guy with the same problem took the washer lines apart and found a filter on the return in the main reservoir that was clogged and stopping the fluid from fully returning thus holding the jets open. I wonder if when I filled my empty resvoir up I washed some of this crud off the filter which cured my issue.

Anyway the moral of my story, don't change the jet assembly straight away, Check the lines and filter are clean first as that may be the problem. Crud can and does get into the hose via the seals in the jet assembly.

Also try spreying some silicon spray lubrican down the shafts of the units to lubricate the o rings. Spray it in then activate the washers to get the piston working in and out to work the silicon lubricant into the o ring.

If none of that works then I guess you will need some new units.
I've done this tonight and will continue over a couple of days and see what happens. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 02:04 PM   #5
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

I bought cheap 'A premium' ones and it solved the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 05:31 PM   #6
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:40 PM   #7
dephrank
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Ah so that's what's going on in there. Plan to get some respray done with the bumper off so worth a tackle
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:41 PM   #8
dephrank
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
I bought cheap 'A premium' ones and it solved the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 05:05 PM   #9
Stoatmaster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 330i M Sport (MT)

The bloody things are next to useless at cleaning the lights, and also due to BMW design decisions have a habit of firing the plastic painted caps off occasionally. (You may spot one every now and then with a missing washer cover!)

I just pulled the fuse for them, far better!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 03:30 PM   #10
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

They are an awful design. You can buy Chinese copies but they will suffer the same fate. What I do is only use the window clean function when the headlights are off then they don't pop out.
Appreciate 0