E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DPF Removal ??

09-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #133
Exxie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT

Hi all,

I recently had my DPF replaced with an Ecotune downpipe and tune, fitted by my local indy. I wasn't getting any errors, but the car was sluggish and sounded horrible after warming up so I reasoned it was the DPF.

I was right. The car is a million times better and that awful trucky sound is gone. However, I now have white/grey smoke from the exhaust at all times, even idle. It's not thick, quite hard to see in fact, but the smell is terrible. I'm of the impression that it's unburnt fuel as it smells like a truck, but I'm not 100% sure.

It was suggested that I might have a poor spray pattern, so I've ordered some Millers to hopefully clear out the injectors for a better burn. Prior to removing the DPF, I had an intake clean done, which reportedly kicked out PLENTY of gunk, but perhaps didn't get right into the injectors.

Any thoughts? Loving the performance gains, but if I'm slowly killing myself and everyone around me, it's probably not worth it...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #134
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxie View Post
Hi all,

I recently had my DPF replaced with an Ecotune downpipe and tune, fitted by my local indy. I wasn't getting any errors, but the car was sluggish and sounded horrible after warming up so I reasoned it was the DPF.

I was right. The car is a million times better and that awful trucky sound is gone. However, I now have white/grey smoke from the exhaust at all times, even idle. It's not thick, quite hard to see in fact, but the smell is terrible. I'm of the impression that it's unburnt fuel as it smells like a truck, but I'm not 100% sure.

It was suggested that I might have a poor spray pattern, so I've ordered some Millers to hopefully clear out the injectors for a better burn. Prior to removing the DPF, I had an intake clean done, which reportedly kicked out PLENTY of gunk, but perhaps didn't get right into the injectors.

Any thoughts? Loving the performance gains, but if I'm slowly killing myself and everyone around me, it's probably not worth it...
Smell is nothing you can do about . The only colour smoke you want to be seeing is black.

If you have other type of smoke.. post a video of it
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #135
Exxie
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DEE View Post
Smell is nothing you can do about . The only colour smoke you want to be seeing is black.

If you have other type of smoke.. post a video of it
How much does yours smell? This is hard to quantify obviously, but the smell I'm getting is not subtle. When the car is stationary for a while, you can even smell it in the cabin.

Smoke is definitely not black. I tried to take a video but it's really hard to get it to show. Will try again over the weekend and post it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #136
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

The smell is akin to a 1990's london bus , stand behind the car and it's quite bad, worse from cold . In the car you might get a whiff every now and again but certainly not eye watering.
The only smoke you should see as suggested before is black and only under full load.

You say it's a white/grey smoke at all times ??

Which ecotune map are you running ??

Do you have access to INPA ?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #137
Exxie
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You say it's a white/grey smoke at all times ??

Which ecotune map are you running ??

Do you have access to INPA ?
Yes, it's always smoking, idle or WOT. It's quite difficult to tell the colour, but it's easiest to see at night under lights or against black asphalt during the day so I believe it's white/grey.

I'm running the Maxitune, but even when I flash it back to stock the smoke is still there. I don't have INPA but the iFlash 2 unit provided by Ecotune can read codes, of which I have 3: C0242/52/62. I believe these are glow plugs, which I'm not concerned about since it never gets that cold here.

Also worth noting that the smoke is present after a cold start as well as after a long drive. Doesn't seem to be temperature dependant.

Thanks for your help so far!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #138
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

Might be worth reading this thread , Seems that this might be an inherent fault but because of the DPF in place, the smoke is filtered out.

Once the DPF is removed the issue which already exists shows itself. I now know of quite a few of these cases since mine went and I have done lots of investigations into how why and when. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882912

Last edited by 335DEE; 09-11-2013 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: reworded
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #139
Exxie
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Might be worth reading this thread , Seems that this might be an inherent fault but because of the DPF in place, the smoke is filtered out.
I actually did read that thread, but I don't believe I have this as my smoke is ever present (not just at cold start) and it's not a "clean" white as your video shows.

Upon further inspection this morning under different lighting conditions, I'd now say the smoke is light grey, with perhaps even a hint of blue. I am monitoring my oil levels but haven't driven enough to see if there's any missing just yet.

The smell really is quite arresting. If you walk through the smoke it remains in your clothes and hair. Do you find this with yours? Not pleasant...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #140
Exxie
Private
Australia
Rep

I've started a new thread to avoid taking this one OT:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0#post14671430

Big thanks for your help so far DEE.
Appreciate 0