E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Register battery with BMWhat App

12-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335D, R6

Register battery with BMWhat App

Hey guys, wondering if anybody has used the APP to register a new battery, how it works and what options it gives you etc,

Im replacing my original dying Bosch S3 battery with a Bosch S5 and it has a higher AH and CCA, will I be able to do so with my app, got the full app and genuine Bluetooth adaptor I know I have to pay a small additional fee to use this function.

Regards Dan
206 1.4, Sport Ka, 206 Gti, focus 1.8, Vectra 1.9 CDTi, Corsa 1.8 Sri, 206 Gti 180, Impreza Blobeye Sti Widetrack, Clio 172 Cup Track Car, E92 335D, Impreza Hatch STI, Evo IX FQ360MR, E92 M3 Competition
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Pumper
Private First Class
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320D

What's the point in battery registration anyways? Mine is replaced, not registered and I don't have any issues with it (at least I don't know any).
      12-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumper View Post
What's the point in battery registration anyways? Mine is replaced, not registered and I don't have any issues with it (at least I don't know any).
Not to sure to be honest, something to do with knowing how to charge the battery or something along those lines,
206 1.4, Sport Ka, 206 Gti, focus 1.8, Vectra 1.9 CDTi, Corsa 1.8 Sri, 206 Gti 180, Impreza Blobeye Sti Widetrack, Clio 172 Cup Track Car, E92 335D, Impreza Hatch STI, Evo IX FQ360MR, E92 M3 Competition
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Banners24b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

I asked this a few months back after changing my battery, can't remember who replied but the answer was "no"
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep

Just had a quick look on the App now I'm home, there is now the option to change battery, although it states my current battery is a 95AH AGM it's deffo not an AGM but is 95AH
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan- View Post
Not to sure to be honest, something to do with knowing how to charge the battery or something along those lines,
Hi Dan..... Good to met you the other day...The answer to your question is more in depth than you could ever imagine. Been asked this so many times so I'll try to explain why it's needed and why it's so important.

In a nutshell the electrical system on our BMWs actually conditions it's charging criteria as closely as possible to both the type and age of the battery within the car at a given time.

The cars has many different tricks to monitor the charging electrical system, you may have heard of an Intellegent Battry Sensor (IBS sensor)within the electrical system (in essence a computer that controls the alternator - charging and electrical distribution process) and how it goes about its day to day business.

When you replace a battery, the computer as such within the car needs to know what's going on. The car needs to be told thet a new battery is in place and it needs to know what aH the battery is as well as spec (std battery v AGM battery)then the status and the fact that a new battery can be recognised by the charging computer within the car so that the cars control units and other system can re align themselves to the new battery.

And this is called Battery Registration. Ignorie it at your peril, not registering the battery can dramatically shorten the life of a battery you've purchased and can potentually damage components within the entire electrical system as well as causing problems for the alternator.

It's that important in my view and simply shouldn't be overlooked. Ever, which is why places like Halfords wind me up as their knowledge is nil re this and they sell/fit the battery for you and we've seen them. And usually end up mopping up.

We seen batteries installed as said by Halfords, even the AA for that matter that turn out to be less than a year old that are basically knackered, simply due to the fact that the battery wasn't registered.battery registered! If as a customer you have a receipt then I advise them to return them re registration facts, but as a customer if you're unaware return to the seller and ask the question. In every case locally customers received a new battery we get the car back and then register the battery straightaway.(not exactly ideal but the next best thing) in the circumstance.

When you look at it the bare facts of these sort of failures the charging system effectively shortening the life of the unregistered battery by charging it too aggressively, and in our experience this happens more often or not from cold or under harsh cold weather conditions where a lot of demand is placed on the electrical system(like now really)Again turn the tables around you can also kill the alternator too.

So new battery required....... get it registered even if the spec's identical to the one you're replacing.

Don't ever overlook it. Hope this helps
      12-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for that Steve, Very good read!

Btw just checked my battery and it has a ECP sticker so its far from original my guess battery wasn't coded in and had now given up the ghost.

My app says i currently have an AGM battery fitted which obviously an S3 isn't and I'm sure my car would not have had an AGM as it is not stop/start equipped

Im not going to risk doing it with my app.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan- View Post
Thanks for that Steve, Very good read!

Btw just checked my battery and it has a ECP sticker so its far from original my guess battery wasn't coded in and had now given up the ghost.

My app says i currently have an AGM battery fitted which obviously an S3 isn't and I'm sure my car would not have had an AGM as it is not stop/start equipped

Im not going to risk doing it with my app.
understood if you need a battery registered you know where to come ECP don't hsve any issues at all re replacing battery's if it fails(they are well aware-especially here re the registration procedure)
      12-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
understood if you need a battery registered you know where to come ECP don't hsve any issues at all re replacing battery's if it fails(they are well aware-especially here re the registration procedure)
Might well be worth a try tbh although i didn't buy it myself?

I have a Bosch S5 coming tomorrow that i got cheap through work

could end up with a spare battery
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:17 AM   #10
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Hi Dan..... Good to met you the other day...The answer to your question is more in depth than you could ever imagine. Been asked this so many times so I'll try to explain why it's needed and why it's so important.

In a nutshell the electrical system on our BMWs actually conditions it's charging criteria as closely as possible to both the type and age of the battery within the car at a given time.

The cars has many different tricks to monitor the charging electrical system, you may have heard of an Intellegent Battry Sensor (IBS sensor)within the electrical system (in essence a computer that controls the alternator - charging and electrical distribution process) and how it goes about its day to day business.

When you replace a battery, the computer as such within the car needs to know what's going on. The car needs to be told thet a new battery is in place and it needs to know what aH the battery is as well as spec (std battery v AGM battery)then the status and the fact that a new battery can be recognised by the charging computer within the car so that the cars control units and other system can re align themselves to the new battery.

And this is called Battery Registration. Ignorie it at your peril, not registering the battery can dramatically shorten the life of a battery you've purchased and can potentually damage components within the entire electrical system as well as causing problems for the alternator.

It's that important in my view and simply shouldn't be overlooked. Ever, which is why places like Halfords wind me up as their knowledge is nil re this and they sell/fit the battery for you and we've seen them. And usually end up mopping up.

We seen batteries installed as said by Halfords, even the AA for that matter that turn out to be less than a year old that are basically knackered, simply due to the fact that the battery wasn't registered.battery registered! If as a customer you have a receipt then I advise them to return them re registration facts, but as a customer if you're unaware return to the seller and ask the question. In every case locally customers received a new battery we get the car back and then register the battery straightaway.(not exactly ideal but the next best thing) in the circumstance.

When you look at it the bare facts of these sort of failures the charging system effectively shortening the life of the unregistered battery by charging it too aggressively, and in our experience this happens more often or not from cold or under harsh cold weather conditions where a lot of demand is placed on the electrical system(like now really)Again turn the tables around you can also kill the alternator too.

So new battery required....... get it registered even if the spec's identical to the one you're replacing.

Don't ever overlook it. Hope this helps
+1

The difference between under charging and over charging... so it is a matter of safety as well. We have yet to read of an exploding battery but fortunately batteries themselves come with a lot of safety features these days so they can safely leak/fail with out going kaboom on you.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
skiracer8148
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Did you have success in registering a e90 battery using this app? I bought the full app and adapter to register a new battery and now it says not supported for my model?!?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #12
Blinkers
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 8 Series & S63 Benz

Very cool!

Last edited by Blinkers; 04-16-2020 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #13
FLYIN4D
In The Lane Next To You
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT Coupe

Nice
Appreciate 0