E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Indy replaced my transmission - same exact problems

08-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
LDV
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328xi

Indy replaced my transmission - same exact problems

Ok im writing this up while standing in line for a burrito...

At the start of the summer I started getting the occasional yellow cog with ccid 420. This would happen consistently after a full stop or slowdown. The car would be at a standstill or rolling slightly and then I would press the gas and rpms would raise but it would not catch or drive forward then it would jolt forward and drive but the error would come up. Once the error appears it seems like gears don't change at all. If I parked and turned the car off for a minute it would go away and come back later.

I took it to my mechanic who did the solenoids, filter and fluid change. The car shifted better but ultimately the problem was the exact same. He said unfortunately it's a slipping transmission and we needed to replace it. It took almost a month to find a salvaged transmission and he got it and installed it.

I got the car back today and within 30 minutes I'm experiencing the same behavior - he says he test drove it with no issue but I should bring it back in tomorrow to "adjust the linkage"

I will bring it in to him as I trust him and he's been great to this car (e92 328xi 2007) and my old E36 (he repaired tranny on that car and it lasted for years)

My fear is that the transmission was never bad and this is a ECU/computer/electrical issue...

Can someone with more experience help out with hthis? What are the chances that we replace the transmission and the problems are EXACTLY the same...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:50 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I'm betting he didn't use the correct fluid. Ask what he used, it could be that the fluid caused the issues both times.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 02:50 AM   #3
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Reset the adaptation.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0