E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Eibach's lowered front more than expected



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
PranK
Private
8
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, E70 X5
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Eibach's lowered front more than expected

Hi All,

I've had the Eibach Pro's in my car for a while now, paird with some Bilstein B8's. The car rides and handles really well but the front is way lower than I expected. Theres not even a single fingers gap and it scrubs a lot.

I'm running -1.5 degrees front camber which tucks the tops into the arches a lot too.

I'm trying to work out why it might be that low. I've got some E30 front perches on order to bring it up 10mm and I was considering just getting the 20mm BMW spacers for the front but I think that might be too much. Fixing it isn't the issue, its the reason its that low to start with.

Maybe the rubber seats are too squished? Could have 5 - 10 mm there. Otherwise I can't think of why it might be like this.

Note I cross checked the part number on the front springs to confirm it was the Pro springs and not the lower Sport springs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christian

Last edited by PranK; 05-02-2021 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
1177
Rep
2,475
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Merica!

iTrader: (1)

What width and offset are your front wheels? What size tires?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 11:18 PM   #3
PranK
Private
8
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, E70 X5
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Front wheels are Style 225's in 19x8 ET37. 225/35/19 I think.

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/225
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 04:08 AM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
561
Rep
2,029
Posts

Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Yeah it's a bit lower. Even more pronounced if you increased your tire size. Have the same setup and it was rubbing on large oscillations. Nothing terrible but bad enough. I put 437m 255/35/19 so it fit the wheel well pretty good, but needed a little height to keep it clean.

Just replace spring perches with E46 ones and it'll raise you 10-15mm. With your camber plates, you should have more than enough clearance.

There's an off chance that you pre-tensioned the suspension, so get it on a rack and loosen the tension. Then torque at ride height control arms and things like the end links.

Of course once you do all that, you have to ride it and wait a few weeks to find out how you did. Welcome to the journey.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
1687
Rep
6,584
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PranK View Post
Hi All,

I've had the Eibach Pro's in my car for a while now, paird with some Bilstein B8's. The car rides and handles really well but the front is way lower than I expected. Theres not even a single fingers gap and it scrubs a lot.

I'm running -1.5 degrees front camber which tucks the tops into the arches a lot too.

I'm trying to work out why it might be that low. I've got some E30 front perches on order to bring it up 10mm and I was considering just getting the 20mm BMW spacers for the front but I think that might be too much. Fixing it isn't the issue, its the reason its that low to start with.

Maybe the rubber seats are too squished? Could have 5 - 10 mm there. Otherwise I can't think of why it might be like this.

Note I cross checked the part number on the front springs to confirm it was the Pro springs and not the lower Sport springs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christian
The b12 kit will take 2000 miles or so to really settle in. I wouldn't suggest 19" wheels with it. I think it's about 1/2" lower than the m-sport suspension. 18" yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
whyzee125
Lieutenant Colonel
532
Rep
1,751
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

the e30 perches get you 12mm and you can use the e30 thicker spring pads for another 7mm I believe. I did this with my Tein S tech springs on my old car and the height was perfect in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #7
PranK
Private
8
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, E70 X5
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
the e30 perches get you 12mm and you can use the e30 thicker spring pads for another 7mm I believe. I did this with my Tein S tech springs on my old car and the height was perfect in my opinion.
I got the perches and not the thicker spring pads. I did though get some fresh E90 spring pads because I think there'll be a few mm squished out of my current ones.

I've also reached out to Eibach to see if they knew why my front was so low.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
andreu12qw
Private First Class
andreu12qw's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranK View Post
Hi All,

I've had the Eibach Pro's in my car for a while now, paird with some Bilstein B8's. The car rides and handles really well but the front is way lower than I expected. Theres not even a single fingers gap and it scrubs a lot.

I'm running -1.5 degrees front camber which tucks the tops into the arches a lot too.

I'm trying to work out why it might be that low. I've got some E30 front perches on order to bring it up 10mm and I was considering just getting the 20mm BMW spacers for the front but I think that might be too much. Fixing it isn't the issue, its the reason its that low to start with.

Maybe the rubber seats are too squished? Could have 5 - 10 mm there. Otherwise I can't think of why it might be like this.

Note I cross checked the part number on the front springs to confirm it was the Pro springs and not the lower Sport springs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christian
So I had this exact problem with my car. 2011 335i M-Sport. I am slowly detailing my "build" in the Sal-hoon thread in the photos section. I don't have any photos located yet but I will continue to dig. When I first installed the B-12 kit I lived in the middle of nowhere, California and the roads were actually nice. The car drove well on the road and on the track. The ride quality is really nice and I would have kept this kit on if I did not move to LA. With all of the steep entranceways and deep intersection dips, I started to destroy the front bumper and intercooler. I really wish I could influence Mark@Eibach or Tanner at Eibach or anyone else there to increase the ride height but I know Eibach is slammed with much larger and more profitable projects. (not a knock but just reality)

If I could go back, I would have installed BMW's 20mm spacer along with some fixed camber plates or go with the Koni/Eibach kit. Nonetheless, I liked the simplicity of this kit and the car felt very stable.

I contacted Tirerack when I was experiencing all of this and they helped out by taking the kit back and refunding me! Very nice of them to do! They also published a note on their page. See below. At this time I could not locate the 20mm spacers or else I would not have returned the kit.

Since then I have gone the coilover route. They are more fussy to deal with and the longevity is not there like you get with a set of Bilstein's but I am at the "perfect ride height" for me.

You are not alone with this frustrating issue. I would love to see what the 20mm spacers would do for the stance. If there is anything else I can provide, please don't hesitate to ask.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 09:17 PM   #9
PranK
Private
8
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, E70 X5
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Good info andreu12qw thanks!

My car isn't an MSport though. Its a grandpa spec. I read lots about the difference in height between Grandpa and MSport and was comfortable that mine was not going to be too low.

Its bugging me because I'm worried something is wrong. The rear is great!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 05:55 PM   #10
andreu12qw
Private First Class
andreu12qw's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranK View Post
Good info andreu12qw thanks!

My car isn't an MSport though. Its a grandpa spec. I read lots about the difference in height between Grandpa and MSport and was comfortable that mine was not going to be too low.

Its bugging me because I'm worried something is wrong. The rear is great!
Maybe its just a design flaw? I know it has been discussed at length regarding the differences between the B8 and B6 strut. It could be a case that when Eibach was designing the spring they used the stock strut for a baseline, which is more closely similar dimensionally to the B6 strut. So, once the springs were paired with the shorter (an thus lower) B8 strut in the B12 kit, the cars are lowered a little more than intended.

It is frustrating because the car drove really well as a dual purpose car but my front end was just too low.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:42 PM   #11
PranK
Private
8
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, E70 X5
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreu12qw View Post
Maybe its just a design flaw? I know it has been discussed at length regarding the differences between the B8 and B6 strut. It could be a case that when Eibach was designing the spring they used the stock strut for a baseline, which is more closely similar dimensionally to the B6 strut. So, once the springs were paired with the shorter (an thus lower) B8 strut in the B12 kit, the cars are lowered a little more than intended.

It is frustrating because the car drove really well as a dual purpose car but my front end was just too low.
Yeah mine drives beautifully! If only it didn't scrub every now and then I'd probably just leave it.

I've had the springs on two different shocks now, an OEM replacement and the Bilsteins with the same result.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2021, 12:26 AM   #12
andreu12qw
Private First Class
andreu12qw's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreu12qw View Post
Maybe its just a design flaw? I know it has been discussed at length regarding the differences between the B8 and B6 strut. It could be a case that when Eibach was designing the spring they used the stock strut for a baseline, which is more closely similar dimensionally to the B6 strut. So, once the springs were paired with the shorter (an thus lower) B8 strut in the B12 kit, the cars are lowered a little more than intended.

It is frustrating because the car drove really well as a dual purpose car but my front end was just too low.
Yeah mine drives beautifully! If only it didn't scrub every now and then I'd probably just leave it.

I've had the springs on two different shocks now, an OEM replacement and the Bilsteins with the same result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PranK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreu12qw View Post
Maybe its just a design flaw? I know it has been discussed at length regarding the differences between the B8 and B6 strut. It could be a case that when Eibach was designing the spring they used the stock strut for a baseline, which is more closely similar dimensionally to the B6 strut. So, once the springs were paired with the shorter (an thus lower) B8 strut in the B12 kit, the cars are lowered a little more than intended.

It is frustrating because the car drove really well as a dual purpose car but my front end was just too low.
Yeah mine drives beautifully! If only it didn't scrub every now and then I'd probably just leave it.

I've had the springs on two different shocks now, an OEM replacement and the Bilsteins with the same result.

Interesting... maybe the spring needs to be longer or stiffer then? Or some combination of both?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #13
Shoooter_j
Private First Class
20
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 07 e92 335
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Iíve noticed this for a while now and glad there are other e9x folks confirming this, since any search I did in the past came up with mostly e82 or audi folks with front rake.

That said, car handles great on street with this setup and recently put 245/35/19 PS4S in the fronts, which, paired with the 265/30/19 in rear makes the car rotate better and feel more balanced than with 235ís in front. Iím sure you can also even the fender gap in going with a 35 profile tire in rear, but that would throw off the speedo. Will try 275/30/19 in rear when its time to replace and that should even it out a bit more.

Checkout the last post in this thread here:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1657881
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #14
mantis
Captain
mantis's Avatar
United_States
265
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreu12qw View Post
So I had this exact problem with my car. 2011 335i M-Sport. I am slowly detailing my "build" in the Sal-hoon thread in the photos section. I don't have any photos located yet but I will continue to dig. When I first installed the B-12 kit I lived in the middle of nowhere, California and the roads were actually nice. The car drove well on the road and on the track. The ride quality is really nice and I would have kept this kit on if I did not move to LA. With all of the steep entranceways and deep intersection dips, I started to destroy the front bumper and intercooler. I really wish I could influence Mark@Eibach or Tanner at Eibach or anyone else there to increase the ride height but I know Eibach is slammed with much larger and more profitable projects. (not a knock but just reality)

If I could go back, I would have installed BMW's 20mm spacer along with some fixed camber plates or go with the Koni/Eibach kit. Nonetheless, I liked the simplicity of this kit and the car felt very stable.

I contacted Tirerack when I was experiencing all of this and they helped out by taking the kit back and refunding me! Very nice of them to do! They also published a note on their page. See below. At this time I could not locate the 20mm spacers or else I would not have returned the kit.

Since then I have gone the coilover route. They are more fussy to deal with and the longevity is not there like you get with a set of Bilstein's but I am at the "perfect ride height" for me.

You are not alone with this frustrating issue. I would love to see what the 20mm spacers would do for the stance. If there is anything else I can provide, please don't hesitate to ask.
was recently shopping carid for B12 kits and noticed 3 different ride heights available, still looking for right kit too
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2021, 04:49 PM   #15
andreu12qw
Private First Class
andreu12qw's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

@mantis

I did notice that tirerack offers three B-12 kits for the E9X chassis. One for the coupe, convertible and sedan. Curious to see how a coupe or convertible kit would look on a sedan.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #16
mantis
Captain
mantis's Avatar
United_States
265
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreu12qw View Post
@mantis

I did notice that tirerack offers three B-12 kits for the E9X chassis. One for the coupe, convertible and sedan. Curious to see how a coupe or convertible kit would look on a sedan.
well i think car weights will be the determining factor there
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 04:43 PM   #17
andreu12qw
Private First Class
andreu12qw's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreu12qw View Post
@mantis

I did notice that tirerack offers three B-12 kits for the E9X chassis. One for the coupe, convertible and sedan. Curious to see how a coupe or convertible kit would look on a sedan.
well i think car weights will be the determining factor there
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreu12qw View Post
@mantis

I did notice that tirerack offers three B-12 kits for the E9X chassis. One for the coupe, convertible and sedan. Curious to see how a coupe or convertible kit would look on a sedan.
well i think car weights will be the determining factor there
I was more saying that, that may be related to the three ride heights you were seeing.

I did check out the carid website and they list all three kits with different drop amounts but when you check each of them out, they specify one if for the convertible, one for the coupe, and the third is not labeled but cross referencing the part number, one would see its for the sedan.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #18
PranK
Private
8
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, E70 X5
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Rear springs are shorter for the coupe and convertible than the sedan also.

I updated my front shock/springs with fresh spring pads, E30 hats and new Sachs mount/bearing on the weekend. Totally amazing. The extra height is so much nicer and the extra shock travel is so much better for smaller bumps.

Will take pics soon.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST