E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Crank but no start after dead battery - EWS or dead DME?

05-23-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
Ryanicholls
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Crank but no start after dead battery - EWS or dead DME?

So, I haven't used my car much over the past few months. I had been trying to start it regularly to try to make sure the battery lasted, but I still managed to let it completely die, to the point where the keyfob wouldn't work and emergency key would only open the boot.

Connected a jump start pack directly to the battery (not advised, I know, but I couldn't get under the bonnet as the front of the car wouldn't open) which gave me enough power to open the car. Then tried to jump the car, but it would only crank and wouldn't start, and the OBD reader failed to connect.

Replaced the battery hoping that it was just a low voltage issue as others have reported here. That at least made the ODB port work again and showed P2610 - ECM/PCM Internal Engine Off Timer Performance. Cleared this and tried to start again - same issue.

I have read on the forums that sometimes if the battery is running low for a while the EWS and DME can become 'misaligned' and this will cause the immobiliser to kick in and the car to crank but not fire, but I'm also worried that when trying to jump with the leads on the battery I might have fried the DME.

Does anyone know which it's likely to be, or if there's an easy way I can test this? If it's the EWS would an auto-locksmith be able to fix this or is it a job for the dealership?

Thanks, Ryan
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

What year is your car? only early models have the EWS3 system that needs to be aligned. if it's 2007 or newer, it has EWS4, and there's no requirement for EWS alignment.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #3
Ryanicholls
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
What year is your car? only early models have the EWS3 system that needs to be aligned. if it's 2007 or newer, it has EWS4, and there's no requirement for EWS alignment.
Thanks for getting back. It's a 2007 model, so I guess not the EWS issue then?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanicholls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Thanks for getting back. It's a 2007 model, so I guess not the EWS issue then?
There would be no synch function on 2007 models. I'd recommend scanning the car with ista or a bmw specific scanner. The fault code you pulled is a generic code, it'll be easier to diagnose with bmw specific codes.
Appreciate 0