E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Intake Valve Cleaning N54/Valve Positioning

05-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
2blu4u
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego Blue 335i

Intake Valve Cleaning N54/Valve Positioning

I've been reading a lot on the discussions of guys that are cleaning their intake valves, what to use to clean them, and how to get each valve to reach TDC. no matter what you use to clean them its going to be a complete mess. I clean mine with a sand blaster and walnut shells just like the dealership does, most of the tools to do this job you can buy the cheap knock off stuff from Harbor Freight ($70). You will probably end up spending that on Carb/Choke cleaner or SeaFoam. Next some people were asking how to get each valve to TDC. Recently I had one of my front wheels off and couldn't rock the car which is a pretty simple method to move the valves. for those of you in the same predicament that I was in, you can remove the fan by taking out the torx screw on the passenger side of the fan, pull the plug from the top and mover the lines out of the way, next pull up to get the rubber grommet out of the intercooler CP. After the fan is out use a 22mm socket on either 3/8in or 1/2in drive ratchet to spin the crank. I didn't have a socket that big in metric size so I used a 7/8 socket instead. I'll tell you now though the fan was a pain to go back in so I ended up taking off the lower splash shield to try to guide it in. what I should have done was disconnect my CP from the intercooler CP elbow and you can maneuver it however you need to get the rubber grommet back in the fan. Hopefully this helps a few of you!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
U are aware, u could just bump the starter. Makes life a lot simpler. Key in slot, foot on pedal. Push button, engine beings to turn...Release brake pedal. Repeat procedure as needed for remaining cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
2blu4u
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego Blue 335i

yea your right but in my case I didn't even have a battery in my car haha! I was literally down to nothing...
Appreciate 0