E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > [DIY] N51/N52/N53 Disa Shaft - Way to resolve shaft issue forever

12-17-2023, 03:31 PM   #1
kolopn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 325i N52B25

[DIY] N51/N52/N53 Disa Shaft - Way to resolve shaft issue forever

Hi!

NOTE: I know that this topic will not be completely DIY, but I wanted to share my experience with DISA valves and how I resolved shaft issue in DISA valves.

I had many issues flaps that were sucked inside engine (thankfully nothing more happened). I had enough of it, so I started to disassemble both small and big disa valves - Basically both units are the same in topic of electronic and gearing. Only difference is length of the big shaft.

Solution: I decided to go for reverse engineering, and I made two shafts from stainless steel. I tried several concepts - gear from plastic, gear and part of the shaft from plastic but rest from steel, but nothing was really robust, so I pick option to made everything from stainless steel.

Now I am after driving for 40 000km, and everything is working fine. I disassembled disa units to check if there is anything abnormal in case of this "double" gear that is made from plastic (factory part), but there is no additional wear at all.

Also worth noticing is the seal that is preventing oil from intake coming inside disa valve itself. Size is: 10x14x3 (millimeters).

Machined shaft itself designed by me:

Assembled shaft inside DISA with factory plastic "double gear" - Original Mahle double gear is very robust

Housing glued together, and secured with a few screws

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
k9043.00
      12-24-2023, 10:12 AM   #2
ChristianMoller
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: e91 325 touring

Good work.
That looks very nice.
What module/pitch on the teeth?