E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > MOT vs DPF delete, etc

05-28-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

MOT vs DPF delete, etc

Anyone here running their diesel without the DPF; how is it come MOT time? Do you have to swap the DPF back in for the MOT, or can you pass without? ...or do you need a 'postal MOT'?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

If the MOT station is legit it will fail the car without a DPF fitted. New rules state any visible smoke is a fail.

Anyhow there's no need to get rid of a DPF these days. Decent tuners can get good power with a DPF still fitted. If a tuner is telling you the DPF needs removing to get a decent remap walk away. They don't know their onions.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

i have one of each,one with and one without,,,if the car is warm there is no smoke what so ever with no dpf,,stinks though as the nox is getting pumped out,,fine with mot but id keep it if i were you,,my 335d is remapped with the dpf in place,,no stupid whistle also with dpf in place
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks. I was mainly just curious. I'm definitely keeping mine since it helps me destroy the planet a little less. Interesting that you say tuners can get decent gains with the DPF in place, Silver. Any recommendations there?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Thanks. I was mainly just curious. I'm definitely keeping mine since it helps me destroy the planet a little less. Interesting that you say tuners can get decent gains with the DPF in place, Silver. Any recommendations there?
BWCHIPTUNE was actually the company that I came across stating he did many remaps with and without the DPF and witnessed marginal differences from a standard map and most companies take your DPF and sell them on etc. very reputable company, if it's within travelling distance I wouldn't hesitate and you will find many people vouching BWCHIPTUNE if you do a search
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Rasa have you watched the exhaust tips while someone else revs you car with no DPF?? Surprised you see no smoke, every car I've seen without a DPF has smoked when reved.

Agree about the smell, where I live there are loads of white van men that have taken off their DPFs, they smell so bad when following them. It seems they either smoke you out with no DPF or smoke you out with the skunk they smoke while driving.

I second the recommendation for BWChiptune. Only heard good things about them.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks again. Had heard about BW chip tune (only good things right enough), but noticed the other day that their website is down?

Does EGR delete have any effect on MOT emissions? Again, I'm not planning on doing it on my cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

I've done an EGR delete with a bluefin remap (superchips tweaked the map for me) and it went through the mot fine. There is no test that can detect if it's working or not. I did the delete due to faulty vac controller (part that has a solenoid that activates the vacuum that opens and shuts the EGR valve) which is a pain to get to on my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 02:47 AM   #9
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Quote:
Thanks again. Had heard about BW chip tune (only good things right enough), but noticed the other day that their website is down?

Does EGR delete have any effect on MOT emissions? Again, I'm not planning on doing it on my cars.
No need to delete it. Jason at BWchiptune can just deactivate it so that it stays shut when writing the new map. That's what I opted for when he did mine. No problems with MOT. I also left my dpf in place. I had my car mapped there probably a couple of years ago now and had no problems. I also travelled half way across the country to get to them due to their reputation. It's a father and son (Jason & Chris) and another guy who's name I cant remember. Really nice guys, and when it comes to mapping, Jason certainly knows his stuff.
With regards to their website, it didn't really work when I was looking, but yeah I see it's down completely now. Maybe they've ditched it completely and are focusing on their Facebook page? I contacted them via another forum where they are a vendor.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:24 AM   #10
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

As nick46 says above I didn't delete my EGR as in physically remove it I did a delete in the map I had done (as in deactivated) so if I can reactivate it and start using it again in the future if need be.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Good info, thanks guys.

My next daft question is about remaps and actual emissions... I'm all for the improved MPG that's generally seen alongside the power gains, but does this mean that a mapped car will be churning out more NOx/CO2, etc (even if the MOT folk don't detect it)?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #12
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good info, thanks guys.

My next daft question is about remaps and actual emissions... I'm all for the improved MPG that's generally seen alongside the power gains, but does this mean that a mapped car will be churning out more NOx/CO2, etc (even if the MOT folk don't detect it)?
I believe the emissions will be relatively the same assuming you keep the DPF in place, it may just require more frequent regenerations.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 02:50 AM   #13
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good info, thanks guys.

Dont bank on better mpg, I think that's a bit of a myth unless you go for a specific eco map. If you're going for more power and torque then from my experience of having two cars mapped (Mk2 Focus ST and E91 330d), mpg remains the same. Having said that, if you decide to make use of all that extra power and torque on a regular basis expect your mpg to drop like a stone. The same goes for emissions regardless of whether its mapped or not - the more fuel you put in and the more load that is put on the engine, then obviously the emissions will increase. But as far as the mot test is concerned everything will remain the same. On my Focus I even put a 200cell sports cat on (I think the std cat is 400cell so therefore filters more), and even then it still past all emissions tests when it was mot'd.

If you want more power and torque without effecting mpg thats going to be good to drive in all conditions then go for an 'all round' map as opposed to going for an all out power map or an eco map. That's what I did and I'm guessing that's what most people do. The results are still amazing and the car will be transformed. My 330d went up to 317bhp and 673nm of torque.

Get in touch with Jason at BWchiptune and he will answer all your questions to put your mind at rest. Then get it booked in and enjoy Oh and report back here with the results
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:05 AM   #14
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
no cool whistle also with dpf in place
There, fixed that for you
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:24 AM   #15
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
Dont bank on better mpg, I think that's a bit of a myth unless you go for a specific eco map. If you're going for more power and torque then from my experience of having two cars mapped (Mk2 Focus ST and E91 330d), mpg remains the same. Having said that, if you decide to make use of all that extra power and torque on a regular basis expect your mpg to drop like a stone. The same goes for emissions regardless of whether its mapped or not - the more fuel you put in and the more load that is put on the engine, then obviously the emissions will increase. But as far as the mot test is concerned everything will remain the same. On my Focus I even put a 200cell sports cat on (I think the std cat is 400cell so therefore filters more), and even then it still past all emissions tests when it was mot'd.

If you want more power and torque without effecting mpg thats going to be good to drive in all conditions then go for an 'all round' map as opposed to going for an all out power map or an eco map. That's what I did and I'm guessing that's what most people do. The results are still amazing and the car will be transformed. My 330d went up to 317bhp and 673nm of torque.

Get in touch with Jason at BWchiptune and he will answer all your questions to put your mind at rest. Then get it booked in and enjoy Oh and report back here with the results
Aye, fair enough. I think I'll need to talk to the man to get firm answers. My thinking was that on the maps which improve fuel efficiency, they must be running leaner (at a cruise) which must increase combustion temps and therefore NOx emissions.

317bhp is a mad increase in power! Still got the dpf in place on that? I guess it's an N57 (mine's M57) so it's got a head start on mine there.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #16
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes dpf still in place and working fine, and yep N57.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #17
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiS330d View Post
There, fixed that for you
yeh if ya five or six
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 05:17 AM   #18
Frogs422
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series MSPORT

Hi, Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would ask in here? Only bought my E90 320D a couple of months ago and in the last week or so I got the particular filter warning light come on every time I drive it and noticed a lack of power in the last few days.

I do a lot of city driving so I'm guessing that has not helped, I've been reading up some people are saying get it on the motorway for half hour and keep it over 2k rpm and then the regen should kick in? If that fails whats my next step?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 05:45 AM   #19
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogs422 View Post
Hi, Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would ask in here? Only bought my E90 320D a couple of months ago and in the last week or so I got the particular filter warning light come on every time I drive it and noticed a lack of power in the last few days.

I do a lot of city driving so I'm guessing that has not helped, I've been reading up some people are saying get it on the motorway for half hour and keep it over 2k rpm and then the regen should kick in? If that fails whats my next step?
You can try a force regeneration which in reality doesn't exist but the way people do this is connect a diagnostic tool to the car whether that be Carly, laptop with INPA or a diagnostic tool and clear the fault codes while your driving and immediately request a regeneration, after a few attempts it should trigger a regeneration before a fault is logged again to stop the regeneration from happening, so this is what people called "force regeneration"

Be careful though you want to sort this as quick as possible, a blocked dpf creates back pressure and the easiest routes for escape are turbo seals or rear main seals which either one you would want last resort and it's fairly easy nowadays is a manual dpf clean, its removed from car with hoses attached and cleaning solutions are blasted into the dpf to clear it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #20
Frogs422
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
You can try a force regeneration which in reality doesn't exist but the way people do this is connect a diagnostic tool to the car whether that be Carly, laptop with INPA or a diagnostic tool and clear the fault codes while your driving and immediately request a regeneration, after a few attempts it should trigger a regeneration before a fault is logged again to stop the regeneration from happening, so this is what people called "force regeneration"

Be careful though you want to sort this as quick as possible, a blocked dpf creates back pressure and the easiest routes for escape are turbo seals or rear main seals which either one you would want last resort and it's fairly easy nowadays is a manual dpf clean, its removed from car with hoses attached and cleaning solutions are blasted into the dpf to clear it.
Cheers for the reply. Which Diagnostic tool would you recommend? Or which would be the cheapest way around this?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #21
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

need to check coolant temps before going for a drive,,they will have to be getting to minimum 75 degrees,,but if they reach that sort of number and do not eventually get above 88-90 degrees then your thermostats/stat are shot,,thats the main cause of dpf probs..and as above you need to find root cause before anything else,,
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #22
Frogs422
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
need to check coolant temps before going for a drive,,they will have to be getting to minimum 75 degrees,,but if they reach that sort of number and do not eventually get above 88-90 degrees then your thermostats/stat are shot,,thats the main cause of dpf probs..and as above you need to find root cause before anything else,,
I managed to get into the engine temperature display and did a 5 mile journey to work this morning and I was getting to around 88-90 degrees, What else could be causing the dpf to block up?
Appreciate 0