E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK BMW Dealers: General Opinions?

04-18-2007, 04:53 AM   #45
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
So far, I'm happy with the woman i'm dealing with now. By some strange quirk of fate, she sold me my last car as well (25th Anniversary Golf GTI!)

She'd just started at VW when I got that, and I was her first customer at BMW as well!

Small world, I was thinking about writing a letter to BMW though. If i have to fill in some kind of questionairre, I will put good marks as I'm pleased with my current person, but that will not reflect my experience overall.

It's not as if i'm just some muppet. Expl. from the start that I was co. director either looking to purchase outright (either privately or via co.) & that it was pretty much a gaurenteed sale, just need to try 335i & 335d to decide.

Worked out OK in the end though

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 05:12 AM   #46
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs View Post
It's not as if i'm just some muppet. Expl. from the start that I was co. director either looking to purchase outright (either privately or via co.) & that it was pretty much a gaurenteed sale, just need to try 335i & 335d to decide.
This shouldn't matter one bit to salespeople - I bought mine outright but never felt the urge to justify how or why. If you rolled up in a banger wearing scruffy jeans, you should get the same treatment as if you wore a suit.
      04-18-2007, 05:27 AM   #47
rjs
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
If you rolled up in a banger wearing scruffy jeans, you should get the same treatment as if you wore a suit.
You should, but you won't.

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 05:31 AM   #48
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
You should, but you won't.

I did! - turned up in a Old picasso in jeans and T shirt - was treated well and made the deal.
      04-18-2007, 05:57 AM   #49
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
I used my local dealer, JCT600 in Bradford. Initial impressions were good and the sales guy was reasonable. However, I'm distinctly unimpressed with them for a number of reasons:

Could only test drive a 335i auto, accompanied, for about 45 mins. Audi let me take the new TT out for an hour unaccompanied. Luckily I liked the coupe enough to place an order.

After I had ordered they couldn't be bothered to contact me to keep me informed as to delivery date etc. Despite numerous phone calls I was passed from pillar to post and even the receptionists seemed embarrassed! I was so fed up I wrote a letter to the dealer principal, but received no reply. I had to hand my RX8 back on a fixed date as it was on a PCP and couldn't get a straight answer from the dealership about a definite delivery date. The sales guy had been on holiday and he used this as an excuse when he returned. I asked him about my letter and he went to check on it, made various mutterings of apology, but the dealer principal never had the courtesy to answer.

When I finally took delivery car wasn't waiting in the handover bay and had to be driven round in the drizzle by the salesman who ragged the ar*$e off it in 1st gear to demonstrate the engine note! I then asked for some mats to be given to me as a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience. Sales guy said he would have to check etc. etc. Cue more phone calls and eventually 10% off the mats and they made it sound like a huge favour!

Not sure I'd buy BMW again based on this experience. I thought I was buying into a quality marque, but it seems that customer care is of little importance.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #50
rjs
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
I did! - turned up in a Old picasso in jeans and T shirt - was treated well and made the deal.
They do seem a bit of a lottery, think I will pen (keyboard?) an email to BMW to rant

E93 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 06:17 AM   #51
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Datsun Sunny

its the same in most industries when you talk about service, its just so damn in tangible. for most of us on this site its a passion for many of the salesmen its a job.

i have been impressed so far with my local dealer, not the case when trying to deal with Audi when i was looking at the A5, or trying to get info.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #52
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep

and rjs, what made u go for the le mans, were u sold from u r trip to the dealer the other week?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 06:22 AM   #53
rjs
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
I just get the impression that they are not particularly interested in selling you a car. It's almost as if they are doing you a favour. I’m not expecting the earth, but ringing you back when promised or sending you something when promised is just basic customer service surely?

I never had any of these issues when I got my last car (Golf GTI)

E93 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #54
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
I just get the impression that they are not particularly interested in selling you a car. It's almost as if they are doing you a favour. I’m not expecting the earth, but ringing you back when promised or sending you something when promised is just basic customer service surely?

I never had any of these issues when I got my last car (Golf GTI)
There is an arrogance to BMW dealers - but I found this was much worse with Audi.

Lexus do manage to strike the balance of being respectful and formal, without undue airs and graces.

It's down to the person you are dealing with. The guy that sold me my e90 was very good and always got back to me.

But when I bought my e60 it was a very different story.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #55
rjs
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skansa View Post
and rjs, what made u go for the le mans, were u sold from u r trip to the dealer the other week?
Pretty much, there's too many dull cars about these days. I've driven silver cars for the last 10 years so felt like something a bit more colourful

It's also exclusive to the m-sport.

My second choice would be graphite, but not too keen on the pink tones in the sun.

Hope I don't change my mind

E93 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #56
rjs
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
There is an arrogance to BMW dealers - but I found this was much worse with Audi.

Lexus do manage to strike the balance of being respectful and formal, without undue airs and graces.

It's down to the person you are dealing with. The guy that sold me my e90 was very good and always got back to me.

But when I bought my e60 it was a very different story.
There do seem to be some ok people out there, just got to find one

If anyone wants a corporate sale, try Danielle at Wolverhampton. Tell her Richard S. sent you

E93 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #57
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep

and u get £100
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #58
Rehnquist
Rep
Drives: 320d M sport, soon

Anyone got any experience of Stratstone at Wallsend Tyne & Wear? I've already ruled out Stockton after some of the comments from this thread
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #59
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehnquist View Post
Anyone got any experience of Stratstone at Wallsend Tyne & Wear? I've already ruled out Stockton after some of the comments from this thread
The 'stealers' at Preston Hall in Stockton-on-Tees are bunch of f*****g dips**ts- & that's putting it very mildly.
Their manager is a complete & utter a**e.

When I was thinking about buying my car (after a number of bad experiences with them), I 'used' that stealer for a full day test drive of one of their cars, on my own.
I took the car back at the end of the day & thanked them for the pleasure of 'ragging their car senseless', however "...I'll be importing my car from Germany...thanks very much...", I told them!

The look on their faces....priceless!

If you want a really good experience, go to Mill at Boldon- I highly recommend them- I use them to service my car & they aren't at all bothered about the fact that I imported it!
They happily upgraded my iDrive software free-of-charge to let me play mp3s (which I should have been able to do anyway), over a year ago.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #60
Rehnquist
Rep
Drives: 320d M sport, soon

I actually know the manager if its still the same guy (agreed)

Possibly getting my car from Dundee John Clarke? family member, do BM do a family discount
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #61
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
Only had a problem with one dealer who told us we wouldn't find what we were looking for at a main dealer (we did) so we don't go there anymore.

Bought our last e46 at Park Lane Mayfair, turned up in jeans, got served coffee by the waiter and did a great deal, even got a five year service pack without even knowing.

Our e90 was bought from our local dealer who are brilliant and on first name terms with. Nothing is ever too much trouble.

Regards

Chris
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #62
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
If you want a really good experience, go to Mill at Boldon- I highly recommend them- I use them to service my car & they aren't at all bothered about the fact that I imported it!
Boldon?

My mum lives in South Shields!

I didn't realise you were that far North Viv.

Howay the lads
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #63
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Boldon?

My mum lives in South Shields!

I didn't realise you were that far North Viv.

Howay the lads
I'm closer to those b******s at Preston Hall in Stockton, NFS, but I use Mill in Boldon as my 'friendly' dealer.

Had some great times on Ocean Rd in South Shields- a great place to spend a Friday & Saturday night!

The brother of a friend of mine used to work for the RAF as an acoustics engineer. He told me that on some of their 'exploits', they used to visit some of the nightclubs in Sunderland, Newcastle & the surrounding areas.

They found that the clubs they visited produced more decibels than any other clubs in the UK & on par with some of the aircraft they tested!

So...speak up NFS....I can't hear a damn thing you're saying!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #64
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm closer to those b******s at Preston Hall in Stockton, NFS, but I use Mill in Boldon as my 'friendly' dealer.

Had some great times on Ocean Rd in South Shields- a great place to spend a Friday & Saturday night!

The brother of a friend of mine used to work for the RAF as an acoustics engineer. He told me that on some of their 'exploits', they used to visit some of the nightclubs in Sunderland, Newcastle & the surrounding areas.

They found that the clubs they visited produced more decibels than any other clubs in the UK & on par with some of the aircraft they tested!

Viv
Brings back some memories. The last time I was there was at night and the police were parked where the carousel is trying to stop the fights.

Shields is a great night out, so long as you can avoid getting you're head kicked in.

Here's the other side of the road:

I trust you have been for a curry on Ocean Rd?

The only place in the country where they charge you 30p extra for chicken breast meat in your Madras (not sure what bit of the chicken you get in the basic price)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #65
Trigger2007
E93 320i M Sport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Convertible

lol, I love turning up in Jeans and T Shirt for dealers! Its always interesting to see there response.

Did this at an Audi dealer, and the guy gave me all the reasons not to buy a TT. Which as a Sales Director was great, I asked him if he didn't want me to buy one, and he really couldnt answer me! Out of courtesy gave the manager a call to let him know his sales people were total unprofessional. Of which he didnt seem surprised.

Back to dealers - Halliwell Jones in Southport is pretty good. The after sales service is A1, after 3 cars still never can complain about anything. The sales people need to improve but are okay. In my line of sales we deal with orders in excess of £100K so all my people are well trained, it blatantly shows that some of the people you speak to just haven't got the general training!

Normally they hate me as I buy via Fleet Sales, but now they seem to be seeing the bigger picture that they are selling the brand not just a car! Which was good, I ordered 3 new cars last time I visited them!

BMW E93 320i M Sport - Black Sapphire / Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #66
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:

Viv
...and so ends the mystery of why Viv keeps getting lost - he just doesn't hear his SatNav

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0