E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Problem removing waterpump+thermostat

04-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
FrankyTheCyborg
Slow driver
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
Problem removing waterpump+thermostat

I am trying to change my water pump and thermostat but I am currently stuck in the step where I pull out the pipe that connects to the thermostat. If you go to the video I linked below and skip to 11:00, you will know which pipe I am talking about. I have spent hours prying it out but it has not moved 1 bit. I also removed the clamp already. Do you guys have any suggestion on how it can be taken out? Additionally, the thermostat on the car right now is made by plastic, not like the one in video.
Million thanks!

Last edited by FrankyTheCyborg; 04-21-2014 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

By "clamp" I'm assuming you mean the retaining clip, and yes, it's best to remove it completely while you fight with the quick-connect. Unfortunately, there's no real trick to removing it. Some are easy to remove and others can be a real bitch. You need to pry at different locations while wiggling and twisting the connector. Keep at it -- it will give eventually.
      04-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
HouseN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
By "clamp" I'm assuming you mean the retaining clip, and yes, it's best to remove it completely while you fight with the quick-connect. Unfortunately, there's no real trick to removing it. Some are easy to remove and others can be a real bitch. You need to pry at different locations while wiggling and twisting the connector. Keep at it -- it will give eventually.
as he said but DO NOT TWIST the connector, it has a type of key way so it only goes on in 1 way. Also if your pulling from the 90 degree part of the elbow, your fighting yourself due to the fact it will bind. You have to pull straight, it is a tight connection.
      04-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
FrankyTheCyborg
Slow driver
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
Thanks for the reply. Gonna try it again in these few days. It is so frustrating
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
RALFnotralph
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' 335xi, 97' 328is

Wiggle the thing up and down while pulling straight out. Do not twist as they only fit one way (small plastic tab).

It'll take some fighting to remove. If you have a heat gun, blast it here and there to help loosen it a little too.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Ah, yes the old "quick connect". Or, "slow disconnect" as it should be.

I had the same problem with these. Called a tech buddy of mine and here's what he recommended I it won't come off:

1. Remove clip completely
2.spray wd40, and wiggle it
3. If it doesn't come out, try #2 again a few more times. Spray it allover and inside where the clip was to remove as much grime as you can and try pulling/wiggling
4. If it still won't come out, take a flat head screw driver and ever so gently try prying along part of te edge - just a gentle twist of the flathead here and there over and over. Eventually, combined with the lube, it will start to give.
Warning - if you pry too hard you'll break the connector an then your screwed bc no one carries these in stock.