E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Question on coolant change

04-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Question on coolant change

So i just did an coolant change. Took out the intercooler and did the full flush. I have a few questions i am unsure of...

I first refilled the tank with just distilled water to get out as much of the old stuff as i could. I left the bleeder screw and cap off and did the bleeding process. Did i hurt anything by leaving these things off?

Next i drained again and made up the 50/50 mix. I filled it and it took about 1.75 gallons. Should i be concerned it did not take all 2 gallons?

I then bles the system again but this time with the bleeder screw on and the cap tight? Was this the propper way to bleed? With the cap on tight? After the bleeding process, i opened the cap and added a little more coolant. I was done after this.

Dod i hurt anything by first bleeding with the distilled water with the bleed screw and cap off? If i did let some air into the system, i am assuming the second bleed i did when i put the actual coolant in would have taken care of that? The DIY on here says to have the cap on.

I am at work for 5 hours now and when i come back out to my car i was gonna open the bleed screw and cap to let out any air and check the level. Just to be safe, should i bleed it one more time? Is it okay to just randomly bleed it again?

If someone can answer these questions i would be so very grateful. Please excuse any typos as i am on my phone
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

I would like to wait a few hours and bleed it maybe twoce more to ensure ots perfect. I know that is a bit obsessive but is there any harm of i decided to bleed it once more just to make sure? This is after the engine ran for an hour but i will be letting it cool down for about 5 hours before bleeding again
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Won't hurt a thing

Proper way to bleed it is with the cap on tight and the bleed screw open.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

If i bled it with cap off what harm does that do? Will it still allow the aor to escape?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Won't hurt a thing

Proper way to bleed it is with the cap on tight and the bleed screw open.
This is incorrect. The proper bleed procedure is: fill coolant reservoir with the bleed screw open until coolant is escaping through the open bleed screw. Close the screw and close the cap fully closed. Bleed the system using the water pump (hold the accelerator down for 10 seconds blah, blah, blah). Let it cycle fully (12 minutes). Open the cap and top off the coolant if necessary.

Op, if you drove your car after the bleed procedure and the engine did not overheat, then the air is out of the system. However, I would check the coolant level before you start the car when you leave work to see if it needs to be topped off. There is no need for you to re-bleed the system at this point because it self-bled when you drove it. But you should always bleed the system using the coolant pump and both the cap and bleed screw fully closed.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

I did this the second time when i filled woth the coolant. The first time when i just put water in there to rinse out the system i left the screw and cap open. Did i hurt anything by doing this? If somethijg did get messed up im sure when i bled it the second time the way you mentioned would have taken care of any problems the first one created.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

I drove about an hour after i bled it and in a few hours when the engine is nice and cold again i will bleed it once more for piece of mind. Any answers to my questions in the first post would be great
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, you didn't hurt anything. You are way over obsessive with this whole thing. Check the coolant level, and leave it alone. There is no need to bleed it again.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was a little paranoid that i overfilled ot so i got a turkey baster and drained some out until the red dipstick was level with the top of the cap of the coolant tank. I then did the bleed again. I know this wasnt necessary but now i know i put the correct anount in and did the bleed a second time to assure no air in the coolant. The coolant level was the same level before the bleed so i assume that means there were no air pockets to begin with taking up space
Appreciate 0