E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > **Bluetooth Retrofit Guide** for TCU and ULF

05-01-2014, 06:26 AM   #551
kenlandrum
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Exactly what I'd suggest. There's a good chance that there's no wire in the harness for the Mic. I have no experience with doing the radio- (rather than MULF-) based retrofit, but it's possible you'll need to run a Mic cable. You can check by pulling the headliner down as you would to install the mic, popping out the FZD, and looking around for a loose 3-pin plug.
Went to the dealer yesterday... for a refresh I have a 2011 -Born April 328i, BT logo on radio, sat and usb in ctr console, 6FL.

Spoke to the BMW "Genius". He said there was a strong possibility I just needed a radio re-code to get the BT working. He wanted to see if I had a mic or not so he pulled down my FZD and said "looks like you have mic" You only need a radio re-code software change etc. I looked up there too and there was a black cube on the other side of the FZD. He didn't pull the whole thing down, so I didn't see wires or anything. but he claimed it was a mic.

IS This possible? As simple as just re-coding the radio to give me BT and VC???

Well, they sent me to the service area to get a quote and verify what he said was true... They had never heard of such a thing. They claim that you need special hardware in addition to the BT equipped radio. Service is checking further and getting back to me today.

Sorry for the long-winded story, but I am just psyched at the possibility of getting this working. I will update later.

Last edited by kenlandrum; 05-01-2014 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #552
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
^ That sounds right based on lots of people here. Some people in your position need to re-route and repin the mic. Apparently after the re-code, if people can't hear you, you'll know. The tutorials don't look too bad if that's the case.

Who does this coding?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #553
PooLBoYJc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
yep, that should be the case.
Just want to verify this since I had spoken to the dealership in Temple, TX about retrofitting bluetooth and they're saying it's not an option.

I have a 2011 335i with the following options:

0609 Navigation System
0620 Voice Control
0645 BMW US Radio
0693 Preparation BMW satellite radio
0697 Area Code 1 for DVD
06FL USB/Audio Interface
06UH Traffic Information
CIC RKO
ULF2_HI

Also, what else would I need to do in order to start using BMW Apps, etc?

Been searching google and the forums, but just looking for a definitive answer.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #554
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooLBoYJc View Post
Just want to verify this since I had spoken to the dealership in Temple, TX about retrofitting bluetooth and they're saying it's not an option.
All I can say is never trust dealerships: they are either full of equine excrement or are talking out of their but-tocks.

I brought my 2008 to my dealer and the first guy that jumps in says, "Yea, you already have Bluetooth because you have the phone button on your steering wheel so all you need to do is pair your phone..." So he hops in and is dumbfounded that he couldn't find any option on the radio (non-iDrive) to pair a phone.

So he gets someone else he pokes around, contemplates, then tells me, "sure, you can add Bluetooth but it's going to cost like $3,500."

After getting home frustrated, I did some research and eventually discovered that my 6FL USB/Audio Interface option actually contains a Bluetooth receiver in the MULF unit and it only required adding a mic, main Bluetooth antenna (I discovered that the backup Bluetooth antenna under the rear window shelf was already pre-installed), re-pinning three wires on the passenger side footwell, and coding (I had actually went out and got a TCU and BMW Assist FZD but later found out I really didn't need all that).

I'm not sure if the MY2011 is similarly prepped with the 6FL package, but since you have Navigation AND voice control, you already have at least the mic upon the roof switch console (there are wiring schematics that indicate up to two mics can be installed: one for phone and one for voice control, I believe. So it might still be necessary to add a mic for Bluetooth phone).
      05-17-2014, 03:37 AM   #555
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
All I can say is never trust dealerships: they are either full of equine excrement or are talking out of their but-tocks.
Yep, I got the same line you did when I asked. Guy said "You already have bluetooth!" I showed him I didn't. He said "well I guess you're out of luck." They don't tend to know a whole lot.

Quote:

I have a 2011 335i with the following options:

0609 Navigation System
0620 Voice Control
0645 BMW US Radio
0693 Preparation BMW satellite radio
0697 Area Code 1 for DVD
06FL USB/Audio Interface
06UH Traffic Information
CIC RKO
ULF2_HI

Also, what else would I need to do in order to start using BMW Apps, etc?

Been searching google and the forums, but just looking for a definitive answer.

Dan
Luckily you've got one of the easiest/cheapest retrofit paths. You already have a microphone, and you already have a MULF (voice control and 6FL, respectively). As soon as you code option $644, you'll be able to pair a phone and place calls. From there, there are two bits to take care of. 1) the bluetooth connection will suck, because you need an antenna. It's probably fine to put it in the trunk. Basically, you want a 2.4GHz duck antenna (like you'd find on a wireless router - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-2dBi-...item2c7d120355) and a cable for it (SMB to whatever connector the antenna has, in the case of the one I linked RP-SMA, so for example, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-SMB-A-...item5404b7caf6) You could buy the official antenna from BMW, but you'd basically be burning $70 mostly needlessly, and the cable is tough to find.

Next bit is the microphone. In theory, some have had luck repinning a connector in the glovebox to reroute the mic from the CIC to the MULF, but that requires the wiring to already exist. In your case, I think it doesn't I've been making custom cables for people that plug into the MULF and mic, then you have to run that from the trunk, under the trunk liner, behind the back seat, through the drivers side scuff plates, through the dash, up the A pillar and through the headliner. It's easier than it sounds, but not trivial (the cable is part of the wiring harness if you're pre-wired for phone, but they stopped doing prewiring in all cars as of the beginning of 2009).

BMW Apps: That requires a combox. It's a very expensive retrofit.
      05-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #556
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:

I brought my 2008 to my dealer and the first guy that jumps in says, "Yea, you already have Bluetooth because you have the phone button on your steering wheel so all you need to do is pair your phone..." So he hops in and is dumbfounded that he couldn't find any option on the radio (non-iDrive) to pair a phone.

So he gets someone else he pokes around, contemplates, then tells me, "sure, you can add Bluetooth but it's going to cost like $3,500."

After getting home frustrated, I did some research and eventually discovered that my 6FL USB/Audio Interface option actually contains a Bluetooth receiver in the MULF unit and it only required adding a mic, main Bluetooth antenna (I discovered that the backup Bluetooth antenna under the rear window shelf was already pre-installed), re-pinning three wires on the passenger side footwell, and coding (I had actually went out and got a TCU and BMW Assist FZD but later found out I really didn't need all that).

I'm not sure if the MY2011 is similarly prepped with the 6FL package, but since you have Navigation AND voice control, you already have at least the mic upon the roof switch console (there are wiring schematics that indicate up to two mics can be installed: one for phone and one for voice control, I believe. So it might still be necessary to add a mic for Bluetooth phone).
Augster, so you did have the TCU and MULF2 connected and working in your car?
      05-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #557
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Augster, so you did have the TCU and MULF2 connected and working in your car?
Yes, both TCU (which does the BMW Assist as well, even though if I press the roof console button it calls out, I don't have a subscription) and I assume the Bluetooth handling over the MULF2 which does the USB/Audio interface. After installing the used 2011 TCU, Bluetooth worked immediately after powering up before any coding, but not the mic until I figured out I had to re-pin the connector on the passenger side footwell.
      05-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #558
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Yes, both TCU (which does the BMW Assist as well, even though if I press the roof console button it calls out, I don't have a subscription) and I assume the Bluetooth handling over the MULF2 which does the USB/Audio interface. After installing the used 2011 TCU, Bluetooth worked immediately after powering up before any coding, but not the mic until I figured out I had to re-pin the connector on the passenger side footwell.
Oh great! I was reading the thread again as I seen your post. Do you mind sharing the pin outs on how you got both to be working together?
      05-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #559
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Oh great! I was reading the thread again as I seen your post. Do you mind sharing the pin outs on how you got both to be working together?
See my post #546 of this thread; it has both the pin-outs, photos, and the reference material that officially supports the procedures I followed.
      05-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #560
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
I forgot to mention that my vehicle already had the Telephone Prep SA640A, so the mounting frame and wires were already pre-installed in the trunk: I just plugged in the TCU with the wiring that was wrapped unused then repositioned the TCU MOST connectors at the MOST junction from the "unused" junction block to the "in use" junction block under the left rear seat back bolster (top of left rear wheel well). A flashlight helps identify the correct MOST cables.
Attached Images

Last edited by Augster; 05-30-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #561
absinfl
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlandrum View Post
Went to the dealer yesterday... for a refresh I have a 2011 -Born April 328i, BT logo on radio, sat and usb in ctr console, 6FL.

Spoke to the BMW "Genius". He said there was a strong possibility I just needed a radio re-code to get the BT working. He wanted to see if I had a mic or not so he pulled down my FZD and said "looks like you have mic" You only need a radio re-code software change etc. I looked up there too and there was a black cube on the other side of the FZD. He didn't pull the whole thing down, so I didn't see wires or anything. but he claimed it was a mic.

IS This possible? As simple as just re-coding the radio to give me BT and VC???

Well, they sent me to the service area to get a quote and verify what he said was true... They had never heard of such a thing. They claim that you need special hardware in addition to the BT equipped radio. Service is checking further and getting back to me today.

Sorry for the long-winded story, but I am just psyched at the possibility of getting this working. I will update later.
Did you ever get the BT working?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #562
PooLBoYJc
United_States
Rep

Anyone heard of FISCON? I'm just looking at all the options for retrofit. See below:

http://www.fiscon-mobile.eu/products/index.php
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #563
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Anyone heard of FISCON? I'm just looking at all the options for retrofit. See below:

http://www.fiscon-mobile.eu/products/index.php
This is interesting. Especially the a2dp capability.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #564
PooLBoYJc
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRichieX View Post
This is interesting. Especially the a2dp capability.
I've seen different ones, but they seem to be mostly in the UK forums. Hoping some had some expereience with these.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #565
bmw_118d
Rep
Drives: bmw serie 1 118d

Hi, i have installed the fiscon bluetooth kit in my bmw 120d with idrive ccc and working well.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #566
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

I was finally able to find a MULF2 reasonably priced and local.

If I buy it, Other than a microphone and bracket, do I need anything else ?

I have a 2007 335i with iDrive and Voice control (I believe I read that I can use the same microphone for bluetooth ? ).

I also read the MULF2 supports USB, can I easily get that part(the plug or whatever) from BMW ?

Here's what I found with the VIN decoder :

Code:
S609A
Navigationssystem Professional	Navigation system Professional
S620A
Spracheingabe	Voice control
S640A
Vorbereitung Telefoneinbau universal	Preparation f tel.installation universal
S672A
CD-Wechsler 6-fach	CD changer for 6 CDs
S677A
HiFi System Professional DSP	HiFi System Professional DSP
S693A
Vorbereitung BMW Satellitenradio	Preparation BMW satellite radio
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #567
beemerbob1
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

I have a 2007 328xi with idrive and voice command. The car is wired for bluetooth but it wasn't installed. I picked up a TCU off Ebay and when I plugged it in I realized that the harness only has 3 connectors that plug into the TCU, but the TCU has 4 slots on the one side like the picture further up on this page (I'm missing blue?)
Does anyone know what each of those wires going into the TCU is related to?

In any event the car doesn't recognize TCU so it probably needs to be coded.

I am waiting for the bracket to arrive to properly mount the TCU, so it is currently wrapped up in a towel to keep it safe back there. Does it need to be bolted in to be properly grounded?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #568
beemerbob1
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Retrofitting TCU in 2007 e90 - Real Close

I am installing a TCU into my 2007 328xi.

1 - Mounted/installed TCU in trunk and ready to go
2 - Corrected pins in MOST junction block so they are not in a loop
3 - Installed microphone
4 - When using INPA and selecting "Telephone" I get the following message
"Requested control unit: "TEL_ECE, TEL_USA, TELE60_2. ULF_60' not found. Control unit found TELE60_3." Program will be stopped!
5 - When using NCSexpert to add $644 to the VO I get the following "COAPI-1000:Error" I have tried replacing the $ with a + but although I don't get an error it doesn't appear in the VO
6 - My eyes are falling out of my head reading page after page on these forums

I'm thinking that I have to program the TCU with my VIN using Tools32 but I can't find any tutorials for Tools32

Can someone please help me cross the finish line?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #569
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

I don't have any experience installing a TCU instead of a MULF, but it looks like your module definitions (Daten) are out of date for the slightly newer TCU you have. I'm also not sure whether $644 is correct for a TCU, but anyway you still shouldn't be getting that error. I'm not sure how to help though.

Also don't know how to help with programming your VIN into the TCU, which it seems logical you'd have to do.
      04-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #570
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

I finally decided it's time to add bluetooth to my car. I have a 2007 335i with CCC,

I have
S609A Navigation Professional
S620A Voice Control
S640A prep for phone
S672A 6 disc changer

What else do I need if I add MULF2 ?

alexwhittemore Augster HELP!

Can I just re-wire microphone and code and that's it ?

Last edited by datbimmer; 04-21-2015 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #571
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Anyone in New England able to do this coding?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:10 AM   #572
SeCsTaC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is ...

Guys I looked up my vin on bmwarchive.org p159404 is the last 7 of the vin.

The car is a 2010 335i with no premium package, therefore no bluetooth. how much would it cost to retrofit it? I looked over the original post and the OP paid 1600 for bluetooth, but thats years ago.

Now in 2015 is there a better way?

Would getting combox be the same thing with more options like bluetooth streaming? Tried to do my research let me know if Im on the right path here.
Appreciate 0