E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E92 msport rear bumper / diffuser install

03-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #23
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav View Post
I was thinking of trying to use heat to maneuver that tab a little bit, I may just mount the bumper and attempt to make the DD diffuser work since the oem one seems easy enough to mount even when the bumper is installed. How did you secure the tab with a zip tie? I am not sure if the tab is long enough to drill a hole in it
Try to put just that tab into place alone and see how far it extends. Hopefully it at least extends a bit past the slot so that you can drill a small hole for a zip tie. I just took a quick picture of what I did with my old diffuser, picture sucks but hopefully you can see what I mean.
Attached Images

03-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #24
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 LCI 335i xdrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY. View Post
Try to put just that tab into place alone and see how far it extends. Hopefully it at least extends a bit past the slot so that you can drill a small hole for a zip tie. I just took a quick picture of what I did with my old diffuser, picture sucks but hopefully you can see what I mean.
At this point I can't even get that tab in even if it is the first one i try to install, so what did you attach the zip tie to to keep it secure? Or did you just run it through the hole so the tab couldn't come back out?
      03-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #25
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At this point I can't even get that tab in even if it is the first one i try to install, so what did you attach the zip tie to to keep it secure? Or did you just run it through the hole so the tab couldn't come back out?
Seems like that tab really isn't going to line up no matter what. My biggest question is whether or not the curved area of the diffuser will fit onto the bumper if you cut off the tab. If it fits and it's constantly fighting you and wanting to pop out then like I mentioned yesterday, the 3m tape will not help but in the case that it goes on without wanting to pop out then you may be good to go. I just thread the zip tie through, locked the zip tie and cut off the excess.

Last edited by StevenY.; 03-10-2015 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #26
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Seems like that tab really isn't going to line up no matter what. My biggest question is whether or not the curved area of the diffuser will fit onto the bumper if you cut off the tab. If it fits and it's constantly fighting you and wanting to pop out then like I mentioned yesterday, the 3m tape will not help but in the case that it goes on without wanting to pop out then you may be good to go. I just thread the zip tie through, locked the zip tie and cut off the excess.
It's hard to tell if it will fit correctly or not. I guess I'm going to need to mess around with it a bit and hope it will fit.
      03-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #27
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's hard to tell if it will fit correctly or not. I guess I'm going to need to mess around with it a bit and hope it will fit.
Yeah, the fit may be bad but there's definitely a way to get it on. It took me about 5 days of working on it to finally get it to fit. Keep me updated and good luck!
      03-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #28
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the fit may be bad but there's definitely a way to get it on. It took me about 5 days of working on it to finally get it to fit. Keep me updated and good luck!
Wow that's dedication , will do, thanks again for your help
      03-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #29
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Got the bumper installed today! I even got the diffuser to work it just took some work and some double sided tape lol. Hopefully it'll be nice out tomorrow so I can get some pictures of it installed and hopefully get the exhaust installed so things look right
      03-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #30
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got the bumper installed today! I even got the diffuser to work it just took some work and some double sided tape lol. Hopefully it'll be nice out tomorrow so I can get some pictures of it installed and hopefully get the exhaust installed so things look right
Glad that it worked out!
      04-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #31
solufotebi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW 335i XDrive

Quote:
Did you need Msport bumper guides for the install, or did the regular bumper guides work?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #32
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solufotebi View Post
Did you need Msport bumper guides for the install, or did the regular bumper guides work?
I did not need anything other than the bumper cover, diffuser, and tow hook cover. I did not replace the bumper guides and fitment is spot on.