E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > CCC idrive woes

03-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #1
adammcf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D

CCC idrive woes

I recently took my idrive unit out to change the wiring loom so my Parrot handsfree would work through all the speakers.
It looks like in the process the movement/shock of taking it out has disturbed something inside and now the DVD Nav unit wont recognise the disc and idrive is acting strange.
I just wanted to check as I cant remember what it used to do - when powering on the car does your idrive come up with the clock time straight away or does it take a while to appear? It looks almost as if mine is starting up for the first time every time and it takes ages to respond.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Do you notice any difference if you start it with the nab DVD in the drive compared to without it in?

Sometimes a bad or damaged disc can cause CCC lockups. I recently experienced this. CCC randomly unresponsive and would even stay powered on for a while with ignition off and car locked!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:55 AM   #3
adammcf
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Do you notice any difference if you start it with the nab DVD in the drive compared to without it in?
Sometimes a bad or damaged disc can cause CCC lockups. I recently experienced this. CCC randomly unresponsive and would even stay powered on for a while with ignition off and car locked!
That's one of the problems with the DVD drive, it wont eject the disc either. I've tried holding the usual reset buttons but only the CD player disc comes out.

Im considering just replacing the DVD drive as I know that needs done but what worries me is after spending money on it and then then idrive unit is also faulty and I have to send it all away to get repaired anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:37 AM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammcf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
That's one of the problems with the DVD drive, it wont eject the disc either. I've tried holding the usual reset buttons but only the CD player disc comes out.

Im considering just replacing the DVD drive as I know that needs done but what worries me is after spending money on it and then then idrive unit is also faulty and I have to send it all away to get repaired anyway.
Tonne honest, I'd look at doing a CIC retrofit.

You literally just need CIC, screen, Cable and new connector.

You no longer need an emulator as nav can be script activated.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:41 AM   #5
adammcf
Private First Class
Rep

I did consider it as one of the first options but after looking around it would be around a grand at least for the kit then I'd have to find someone to code it to the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 04:21 AM   #6
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I did consider it as one of the first options but after looking around it would be around a grand at least for the kit then I'd have to find someone to code it to the car.
i did my CIC retrofit for well less than a grand and i had to pay a premium to get a DAB one, CIC kits on ebay are cheap enough and the coding is very easy to do yourself if you have a laptop
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 04:28 AM   #7
adammcf
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_G View Post
i did my CIC retrofit for well less than a grand and i had to pay a premium to get a DAB one, CIC kits on ebay are cheap enough and the coding is very easy to do yourself if you have a laptop
Im getting tempted. Ive just spent the last hour reading through a guide on an M3 forum. They had to cut and solder some wires on the loom though which puts me off. Can you get a retrofit loom which is just plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 04:54 AM   #8
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Im getting tempted. Ive just spent the last hour reading through a guide on an M3 forum. They had to cut and solder some wires on the loom though which puts me off. Can you get a retrofit loom which is just plug and play?
With the CIC script activation (im unsure how this works as i have an emulator) you just use the normal conections. if you go the emulator rout you can buy ones prewired with the quadlock or buy a quadlock loom sepratly and splice the emulator into that. when i did mine i didnt cut any wires at all.

For the coding watch this vid. I followed it after setting up the bmw tools and was a breeze, gave me the confidance to code a combox

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 05:16 AM   #9
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

With script activation you doing need any loom. You just replace the CIC and screen. Don't even have to worry about the controller unless you really want to.

The only physical change you'll have to make is repin the screen connector into a new connector. It's not difficult.

With emulator you have to tap into different points. Again, it's not difficult but is an extra cost which you don't really need.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 06:34 AM   #10
adammcf
Private First Class
Rep

Interesting. Just read into the script activation but some people were saying you cant update the maps afterwards.

Any idea if my Parrot system would still work after the upgrade? Currently it has its own loom to the back of the CCC unit which the original loom plugs into.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Just read into the script activation but some people were saying you cant update the maps afterwards.

Any idea if my Parrot system would still work after the upgrade? Currently it has its own loom to the back of the CCC unit which the original loom plugs into.
That's old info re map updates. Maps can be updated fine with FSTool.

The parrot device should work as it's just a sort of piggy back onto the head unit and not really factory design if it's the same as mine.
Appreciate 0