E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Crazy Electrical Issues

06-25-2018, 01:25 AM   #1
Ohiodiesel
Mens Sana In Corpore Sano
Rep
Drives: E90 335D-F15 X5 35D-Mk6 TDI

Crazy Electrical Issues

Ive searched on the forums and haven't been able to find exactly what I'm experiencing - so I figured I would post this new topic and see if I can figure it out and possibly help others in the process.

Some of the issues sound like a faulty Steering angle sensor and/or possibly a bad control module somewhere but with this i'm just not sure as of yet.

A few weeks back I was driving and when mashing the throttle a bit & losing some traction - In the iDrive a notice popped up saying "Control Systems" - "Braking and dynamic-response system malfunction. Drive moderately. Avoid hard braking. Have they system checked by the nearest BMW center." (See Picture Below)

I shrugged it off the first time but started paying closer attention a week later when it came on again. Well, just the other day when I went to start the vehicle up, the windshield wipers started on their own, would not turn off and all the dash lights stayed illuminated. Service engine light, ABS, both seatbelt lights, etc. illuminated and wouldn't go off.

Eventually after 5 minutes with the motor running, the lights all went off after removing the key and starting the motor again. I cleared out the codes on ISTA and none remained after. Everything remained normal for a day or so until once again tonight the same thing happened but didn't go off for about 10 minutes while trying to drive back to my garage. There has been no rain and the battery voltage appears fine - around 14.1v while running.

Do NOT pay attention to the 4 TPMS "Wheel Electronics" faults, the vehicle has a Macht Schnell TPMS emulator.

I had my trusty Carly OBD reader present and hooked it up to find 32 codes active and stored then once I got back to the garage loaded up ISTA and found the codes below. Any guidance or help to solve the issue would be much appreciated.

See pictures -

06-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking to Buy

FRM. Under extended warranty. If under 120k miles take it to the dealer. But I don't think that will solve all your problems.
Also there is a recall for the battery cable. Maybe that is causing some issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
Ohiodiesel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranthum View Post
FRM. Under extended warranty. If under 120k miles take it to the dealer. But I don't think that will solve all your problems.
Also there is a recall for the battery cable. Maybe that is causing some issues.
Most of what I find about the FRM is related to the lighting and lighting control systems. I called the local dealer and scheduled to get the 2 recall items replaced - the fuse block and harness behind the glove box and some harness for the blower motor. They said they didn't see anything about the battery cable or really know anything about the FRM extended warranty.....
      06-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

FRM module is a known turd. This may not be the most up-to-date notice but here it is, nonetheless:

Also, a dying battery is know to cause all manner of electrical issues. How old is your battery?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI-B-01-20-16_Footwell.pdf (246.5 KB, 122 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
Ohiodiesel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
FRM module is a known turd. This may not be the most up-to-date notice but here it is, nonetheless:

Also, a dying battery is know to cause all manner of electrical issues. How old is your battery?
Battery is brand new. Only a few months old. Its an AGM. Battery voltage appear to be within spec.
      06-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiodiesel View Post
Battery is brand new. Only a few months old. Its an AGM. Battery voltage appear to be within spec.
Did you have an AGM battery before the replacement?

I am asking because my 2010 335d had a regular battery. When changing battery, especially a different type, the charging circuit needs to be coded.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
Ohiodiesel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
Did you have an AGM battery before the replacement?

I am asking because my 2010 335d had a regular battery. When changing battery, especially a different type, the charging circuit needs to be coded.
No but I coded it in when installed. Now the speedo is not working off and on. It will work but then go to zero, then come back up to speed only to return back to zero within a few seconds. Also instead of being intermittent the vehicle goes crazy literally every time I start driving faster than 5-10mph and all the dash lights illuminate as well. I pulled the wiper relay so the wipers wouldn't goo off while driving as well. I don't know whats going on with this car......

Something has to be causing everything to do this all at once because before it was a constant issue, I would clear the codes out and not have a single issue with the vehicle for awhile and when these issues appear its all together, all at once.

Last edited by Ohiodiesel; 06-29-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 12:26 AM   #8
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Some folks indicated in the past that disconnecting ABS pump would trigger wipers going. Hope I remember this correctly. I would be running tests for all traction control and brake related components. Start with wheel speed sensors. Look like you have access to ISTA and can prove different systems with it. In these cars everything is so interrelated that one small failure can cause quite a havoc with some seemingly unrelated systems. Of course battery voltage needs to be up to snuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

I don't think it is the FRM. You most likely have some CAN bus problems. I'd start with the DSC module and take a look at the connector. Maybe some corrosion due to water ingress. Then start to look at grounding - there are a few spots in the E90 where many ground straps are tied to the chassis. Sometimes those corrode and cause ground offsets for the connected modules.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
Ohiodiesel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Some folks indicated in the past that disconnecting ABS pump would trigger wipers going. Hope I remember this correctly. I would be running tests for all traction control and brake related components. Start with wheel speed sensors. Look like you have access to ISTA and can prove different systems with it. In these cars everything is so interrelated that one small failure can cause quite a havoc with some seemingly unrelated systems. Of course battery voltage needs to be up to snuff.
I ended up putting her up on the lift and loaded up ISTA. Went through all the control modules and reset them all. Checked speed sensors to make sure all were reading correct speed, direction, etc. Everything checked out and looked good. I was having an issue with one of the BMW retrofit LED bulbs on the interior and removed that to swap it with another. After resetting and checking everything as well as spraying WD40 on the rear hub ring for the speed sensors I haven't had an issue since. Not a single problem or code has popped up. I don't know what was wrong but all seems fine for now........ go figure.
      07-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #11
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Resetting probably did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #12
Ohiodiesel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Resetting probably did the trick.
So all the issues came back! After driving for a few weeks. So now I'm getting frustrated but after digging, I think I might have found the issue. DSC. I pulled live data on the DSC through INPA and noticed that when I first start moving and get to 20 km/h the DSC goes offline and all those codes start appearing. When I slow back down below the 20 Km/H the codes go away. I checked the wheel speed sensors and they are fine. Literally everything related the the DSC goes offline and fails above the 20 Km/H.

So, whats the fix? Ive seen where people send out their DSC to be repaired but I've also seen that now days I can just get an entire new unit for like $140-240. I take it I would have to get it re-coded? Does it sound like I'm on the right track?
      07-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #13
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiodiesel View Post
So all the issues came back! After driving for a few weeks. So now I'm getting frustrated but after digging, I think I might have found the issue. DSC. I pulled live data on the DSC through INPA and noticed that when I first start moving and get to 20 km/h the DSC goes offline and all those codes start appearing. When I slow back down below the 20 Km/H the codes go away. I checked the wheel speed sensors and they are fine. Literally everything related the the DSC goes offline and fails above the 20 Km/H.

So, whats the fix? Ive seen where people send out their DSC to be repaired but I've also seen that now days I can just get an entire new unit for like $140-240. I take it I would have to get it re-coded? Does it sound like I'm on the right track?
Possible and for that price worth a try. But I still think you have some connector or grounding issue. If Detroit isn't too far for you to drive I can help you with the coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:04 AM   #14
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
I've had this exact issue, christmas tree dash, abs sensor, wiper blades running.

In my case it was a bad alternator, and the errors all cropped up when the battery is run down. Did they charge the battery when doing the reset?

Also BMW alternators can fail totally without warning, very common on X5's rare on the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #15
Ohiodiesel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I've had this exact issue, christmas tree dash, abs sensor, wiper blades running.

In my case it was a bad alternator, and the errors all cropped up when the battery is run down. Did they charge the battery when doing the reset?

Also BMW alternators can fail totally without warning, very common on X5's rare on the 335d.
Did your lights come on at a certain speed and go away under that speed? I checked voltage and for the most part is appears to be fine. Do you know what your voltages were when driving or idling? Literally the DSC goes offline at that 20/Kmh and comes back online below that same speed. Just DSC related components fail until a few seconds or minutes after the DSC goes offline but then the KCAN and other associated electronics realize the communication faults with the DSC and start throwing codes that are all associated with the DSC.
      07-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #16
Ohiodiesel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
Possible and for that price worth a try. But I still think you have some connector or grounding issue. If Detroit isn't too far for you to drive I can help you with the coding.
Detroit is around 4 hours from me I believe. Definitely appreciate the help!