E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Canadian D Owners - Help Needed

03-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
Jackhammer57
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Canadian D Owners - Help Needed

I took my car into the shop because I had the check engine light on. As well I’ve had several occurrences where I would go out to unlock my car and have no power at all. Now thanks to all the info I’ve found on here, I was able to determine that the no power had to do with the battery cable to fuse panel connection. With further research I found that there was a recall affecting about 600,000 cars with the same issue but there was no recall coming up for my car.
Also thanks to this forum I determined the ses light had to do with the scr tanks. There were three codes regarding the scr. Passive level sensor, active level sensor, and active temp sensor.

I found that bmwna put out an extended warranty for the active tank in may 2017. However this only applies to US cars.
We talked to customer relations about these issues and they have agreed to cover the battery cable and fuse panel replacement, however they refuse to do anything regarding the scr tank.

So my question to all the Canadian D owners out there, how many of you have had issues with the scr tanks? Did BMW do anything for you? Did you complain to customer relations?

I find it odd that they would warranty 10,000 cars in the states plus the x5’s. yet they won’t cover the 739 cars that came to Canada.

I’m thinking about doing a tune as well as the alphabet soup deletes, are there any guys around the lower mainland, Vancouver area that do tuning? Or would it be best to get the JR obd tuner?

Thanks,
Joe
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhammer57 View Post
I took my car into the shop because I had the check engine light on. As well I’ve had several occurrences where I would go out to unlock my car and have no power at all. Now thanks to all the info I’ve found on here, I was able to determine that the no power had to do with the battery cable to fuse panel connection. With further research I found that there was a recall affecting about 600,000 cars with the same issue but there was no recall coming up for my car.
Also thanks to this forum I determined the ses light had to do with the scr tanks. There were three codes regarding the scr. Passive level sensor, active level sensor, and active temp sensor.

I found that bmwna put out an extended warranty for the active tank in may 2017. However this only applies to US cars.
We talked to customer relations about these issues and they have agreed to cover the battery cable and fuse panel replacement, however they refuse to do anything regarding the scr tank.

So my question to all the Canadian D owners out there, how many of you have had issues with the scr tanks? Did BMW do anything for you? Did you complain to customer relations?

I find it odd that they would warranty 10,000 cars in the states plus the x5’s. yet they won’t cover the 739 cars that came to Canada.

I’m thinking about doing a tune as well as the alphabet soup deletes, are there any guys around the lower mainland, Vancouver area that do tuning? Or would it be best to get the JR obd tuner?

Thanks,
Joe
PM Yozh, he is in your area and may be able to point you in right direction
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 03:15 AM   #3
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Because we in Canada do not matter much to BMW. Just economics. If you need a full replacement urea tank with all the bits and pieces I have a nice clean one off my car. If you have other questions, pm me.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

I had my SCR tank replaced by the stealer under a "Voluntary Recall" about 2 years ago.

I had to go in and ask them if there are any recalls, they said no. I asked again, and again, and they kept saying no. I said why is it there is a service buletin out there for the scr tank, so then they asked what buletin is this? I found it online and showed them, they punched in the # and said " Oh, thats a voluntary recall, it's only if your scr tank is broken. and you can't pass emission test"

I rolled my eyes and slapped the fu(k out of the service person, (in my mind atleast) and I said I need that replaced it's broken and my car will not pass etest. Then they went to scan my car and came back and said yes they will do it and bmw North America will pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
kb2755
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:

Thanks,
Joe
My active tank temp sensor has been an on/off issue over the winter as well. Fortunate to have some good friends managing/working in the local BMW service department, however they confirmed the North America recall will not cover my issue because, Canada. $3200 tank replacement required if I take it to them.

As per this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209238 I ordered a new $5 thermistor instead. Waiting on availability from a certified former tech to do the dirty work for me. Unfortunately, need it done to pass the Drive Clean program this year
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Read through some of my posts. You can purchase this replacement part instead of the whole tank BMW sells, from Volkswagen if you're not under warranty anymore.

I don't overfill my urea tank anymore to prevent it from screwing up
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
Cottage Dude
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d & 2012 X5d

Like many of us out there I am also having problems with the scr tank. I've had my 09 335d since new and it has 225km on it. The dealer replaced the tank about a year after I bought it due to "premature failure". Problem is that it's failed again about 18 months ago and BMW is unwilling to help.
While I love reading all these technical posts, the applied knowledge is way beyond what I can do myself.
I'm looking for a good shop in the (East) GTA who knows how to solve these diesel problems.
I have a couple great guys but they often scratch their heads with diesel specific problems since the cars aren't too common.
Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #8
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

I think there’s a 24 month warranty on Bmw parts and labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottage Dude View Post
Like many of us out there I am also having problems with the scr tank. I've had my 09 335d since new and it has 225km on it. The dealer replaced the tank about a year after I bought it due to "premature failure". Problem is that it's failed again about 18 months ago and BMW is unwilling to help.
While I love reading all these technical posts, the applied knowledge is way beyond what I can do myself.
I'm looking for a good shop in the (East) GTA who knows how to solve these diesel problems.
I have a couple great guys but they often scratch their heads with diesel specific problems since the cars aren't too common.
Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #9
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottage Dude View Post
Any suggestions?
Talk to Jarek@JRAuto

JR Auto Performance

1428 Speers Rd Unit#3
Oakville, Ontario L6L 5M1

905-618-0279

info@chiptuning.ca

http://chiptuning.ca
JR Auto tune and Bohl Diesel Downpipe - KWv2 coils - Apex Racing 18" EC7 wheels wrapped in Michelin PSS 245/275 F/R - Zimmerman cross drilled rotors F/R with Hawk HPS pads - SS brake lines - Motul RBF 600 - ADD W1 oil catch can - BMW performance CF spoiler
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
newfie36
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335

I just replaced my SCR tank with the volkswagen part number for $280 instead of over $2000.00.

Took about 2 hours to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #11
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Glad I found this info, I had my tank replaced by BMW close to the end of my extended warranty but the master mechanic that was quitting at that time told me this tank is never ending story so far no issues but from that time I did refuse to have my tank filled up by the BMW, one reason is that they have cracked (half broke) the locking clip for that cover (part of the bumper) and gladly I was inspecting it and noticed so glued all together but I know next time they would touch it they would blame the part failure and make me pay for the entire bumper. Since then I have noticed many parts in the engine bay half broken, cracked, screw missing etc. Even half of my top engine cover for the noise absorption is gone and the oil drain cover as well. Now who the hell is checking for those thing when they have one source to do all the regular maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
Hamzah
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie36 View Post
I just replaced my SCR tank with the volkswagen part number for $280 instead of over $2000.00.

Took about 2 hours to do.
Can you please provide the part number? Did you get it online?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #13
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Not a part number, but this might help you:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1503794
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #14
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Screw paying for a SCR tank, get a stage 0 tune and disable it completely. Or go full deletes.

....and yes you'll still pass emissions.
      07-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
E_Fahlman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335D

Quote:
are there any guys around the lower mainland, Vancouver area that do tuning? Or would it be best to get the JR obd tuner?
Joe,

Malone Tuning in Surrey BC also offers tuning for the 335d / X5d ask for Owain

Cheers

Erik
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #16
Davll
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Concur - tune out the SCR and you don't have to worry about it.

I have the JR Stage 2 with only the EGR and SCR tuned out, but DPF intact. Best of both worlds imo (without the smell that comes with the deletes)
Appreciate 0