E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Dealer Oil Change

04-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Ch0zen
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Dealer Oil Change

I had to bring my 2009 335i in cause the steering was creaking. While there I asked them to change the oil too. I had to have someone else pick the car up and didn't get to check everything till 1 day later.

When I checked the vehicle status, my oil change was still at 4800 like when i brought it in. The engine bay was still dusty. I opened the oil cap and the oil under the cap and around was dirty still.

Am I being paranoid about the oil not being changed? Last time i got it done it reset back to 12k or 15k. Did they just forget to reset it?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Do your own oil change. Much cheaper and you know it's being done correctly. I really get paranoid when other people work on my car because you never know what they are really doing and if they are doing it correctly. I don't know that much about cars, but I always do what I can. I would just confront them about it and tell them what you just told us because it sounds like it may not have been changed...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

It's quite possible that they just forgot to reset it. Oil that comes out of an engine at 200 miles doesn't look too much different than oil that comes out at 10k miles either. However, the oil change scam has been known to happen.

Assuming that the oil was in fact not changed, some dealerships will tell you flat out that they will NOT change the oil for free until your 12k interval is up. If you want it changed sooner then you usually have to pay for it. Since you had 4800 left to go until change then they may have just not thought it was needed. Is the change listed on your invoice?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]

Garage List
I am sure they just didn't reset the CBS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by els_86 View Post
Do your own oil change. Much cheaper and you know it's being done correctly. I really get paranoid when other people work on my car because you never know what they are really doing and if they are doing it correctly. I don't know that much about cars, but I always do what I can. I would just confront them about it and tell them what you just told us because it sounds like it may not have been changed...
"Much Cheaper"? Most oil change kits are about $75 (https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462) Both my local dealership charge $79 for oil changes. I wouldn't consider $4 a significant savings.

"you never know what they are really doing and if they are doing it correctly." - I would think a BMW dealership knows how to change the oil...

'11 335i M-Sport xDrive Coupe [LMB] COBB V3 & PTF Tune | E45 |4in BERK DP | VRSF 5in FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP | Exotics Tuning CF Lip | CF Diffuser | Eibach Springs | Bilstein Shocks
'07 BMW 335i Coupe & BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone
Appreciate 0