E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW 335i (N54) turbo warranty extended for wastegate issues to 8yrs/82k miles

08-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #45
2nice89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalih View Post
Any mods?? ..
i had the jb4, but i took it out and cleared the dmd
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #46
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandroad83 View Post
Sounds like your SOL then if you don't want to pay up.

How is it a waste of money i am doing the work myself? Also why would they deny, its wastegate rattle sounds like it my car is playing the tambourine on steroids nothing normal about that. I have already had work done Good Will Work done to the car though the same BMW Center and the SA was awesome to work with.

I don't see a big deal take off mods, go in for service and if its a part they warranty i don't see a problem having it covered. In the mean time drive around in a 2012 BMW loaner while it gets fixed
My point is merely that it is BS for BMW to be so stingy about modifications when there is little to no causation between modifying the vehicle and wastegate failure. Speculate all you want that there is, but when the same part fails across the board, modified or stock, I see it as a complete cop-out on BMW's part to exclude modified cars- with exceptionally broad exclusion language, as well.

The big deal is this:what if you take the time and/or the money to remove the mods, and BMW turns around and tells you that the turbos are fine? There wouldn't be a problem if I was guaranteed that so long as I brought them a stock car, it would get fixed. But there is no such guarantee. Bring them noisy turbos, and they will tell you that some rattle is normal. Oh, and at least according to the SA I talked to- they can detect "software manipulation."
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #47
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

Way to go BMW! I just had my turbos replaced last month and the car is rattle free. No 30ff code despite my best efforts.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #48
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Can't wait to bring mine in. My wastegate's definitely qualify for this. Hopefully I'll get new turbo's
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #49
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

I guess I have to take my DPs off and hope for the best. What a pain...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #50
oma3710
Major
Rep
Drives: ?

I called local BMW yesterday and gave them my vin. The rep told me that the wastegate rattle is normal and thats not covered under warranty.
SOLD! 435i- Cary Jordan E30 Tune~ Dinan Turbo~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ FTP oil catch can~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #51
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

For those who will have the turbo's replaced, and are familiar with the process, does it require dropping the engine? If so, would it be easy for them to toss a new clutch in while the engine is out?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #52
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jones View Post
Way to go BMW! I just had my turbos replaced last month and the car is rattle free. No 30ff code despite my best efforts.
Can you elaborate please?

I'm getting that code right now, and am trying to track down its source. I had a bit of wastegate rattle a few days ago, though it went away. My car boosts to 4/5 PSI, but then throws the code and a check engine light, if I push it any more than that.

Are you saying that you were getting that code and it was because your turbos were not making boost and had blown? I'm really scared if that's possibly what's happened to mine...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #53
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

4 to 5 psi seems pretty low. I really had to stand on the throttle in a high gear to throw the code. I guess 30FF can be caused by alot of things based on the extensive time required to diagnose my car (severral hundred bucks at one dealer before i pulled the car and went to another). Some are relatively easy to fix (leak in the charge piping, vacuum leak) and some aren't.

I had a intermittent 30FF and constant rattle during warranty and only took the car in after the limp modes became more frequent (around 69.5k miles). They confirmed it wasn't a vacuum leak and replaced both turbos.

The service manager explained that "waste-gate play" was responsible for the rattle and the inability for the engine to make/maintain max-boost. I certainly don't baby my car, but she has always been bone-stock. They must have assembled mine on a Friday because I went through 4 fuel pumps in roughly 40k miles.

Best of luck with your car.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #54
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

My 30FF was caused by a crack in the wastegate vac line.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #55
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
4 to 5 psi seems pretty low. I really had to stand on the throttle in a high gear to throw the code. I guess 30FF can be caused by alot of things based on the extensive time required to diagnose my car (severral hundred bucks at one dealer before i pulled the car and went to another). Some are relatively easy to fix (leak in the charge piping, vacuum leak) and some aren't.

I had a intermittent 30FF and constant rattle during warranty and only took the car in after the limp modes became more frequent (around 69.5k miles). They confirmed it wasn't a vacuum leak and replaced both turbos.

The service manager explained that "waste-gate play" was responsible for the rattle and the inability for the engine to make/maintain max-boost. I certainly don't baby my car, but she has always been bone-stock. They must have assembled mine on a Friday because I went through 4 fuel pumps in roughly 40k miles.

I took off the lower engine cover, and the hoses to the FMIC seem ok. I'm taking it in a week or so, and the guy said the first thing he'll do is a smoke test, not pressurize the system.

So were you getting any boost at all? Just trying to figure out if my turbos could possibly be the culprit, though they only have 25,000 miles on them, and other than a few track days, were mostly city driven, occasionally spiritedly. I was stage 1 until one month ago.

I get the 4/5 PSI with only 30% or so throttle input I'm guessing (haven't logged, I'm saying that based on foot travel). So I'm hoping that the fact I'm still boosting means that the turbos are ok?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #56
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

Unless your avatar pic is your turbo I bet you're good. A turbo failure after 25k would be absolutely ridiculous! Don't worry until there is something to worry about!

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #57
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin
Quote:

I took off the lower engine cover, and the hoses to the FMIC seem ok. I'm taking it in a week or so, and the guy said the first thing he'll do is a smoke test, not pressurize the system.

So were you getting any boost at all? Just trying to figure out if my turbos could possibly be the culprit, though they only have 25,000 miles on them, and other than a few track days, were mostly city driven, occasionally spiritedly. I was stage 1 until one month ago.

I get the 4/5 PSI with only 30% or so throttle input I'm guessing (haven't logged, I'm saying that based on foot travel). So I'm hoping that the fact I'm still boosting means that the turbos are ok?
Your problem could be boost lines as well before they figured out it was my wastegates all the boost lines were replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #58
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

i have a metallic rattle that's pronounced when letting off throttle only during the first 30-60 seconds every time i start the car up. after that time it'll go away but i'lll still hear it lightly if i have the windows down. sometimes when i'm driving on the street and pass a van, i'll hear some rattling due to the sound bouncing back to me, but i rarely ntoice this consistently.

is this something the dealer will consider fixing?

EDIT: the previous owner said when he had a Procede mod installed, it wouldn't make the rattling.... I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff but does that make sense the mod would fix the rattling? If so, i might pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #59
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
i have a metallic rattle that's pronounced when letting off throttle only during the first 30-60 seconds every time i start the car up. after that time it'll go away but i'lll still hear it lightly if i have the windows down. sometimes when i'm driving on the street and pass a van, i'll hear some rattling due to the sound bouncing back to me, but i rarely ntoice this consistently.

is this something the dealer will consider fixing?

EDIT: the previous owner said when he had a Procede mod installed, it wouldn't make the rattling.... I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff but does that make sense the mod would fix the rattling? If so, i might pick it up.
When I dropped mine off the the tech could not verify the rattle. But I was already prepared. I knew exactly what conditions I could reliably replicate the problem. When I started the car to leave I was able to get the sound right away and I called my SA over. He agreed but we knew were stuck unless a tech could validate it but it was already after hours. I took it in the next day, pulled into the garage, SA called over tech and Service Manager. I turned engine off for a few minutes (part of my guaranteed process to replicate the problem), started it up and demonstrated the rattle by revving to ~3300 rpm and let off the gas. rattle-rattle-rattle as the rpms came down. All three nodded their heads in unison.

This had been a problem for me for a while but have learned it is best for everyone if I am sure a problem can be reliably repeated.

If you are just cruising past the van you should not hear any wastegate rattle I wouldn't think. Maybe muffler flap rattle or heat shield or something ??
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #60
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
When I dropped mine off the the tech could not verify the rattle. But I was already prepared. I knew exactly what conditions I could reliably replicate the problem. When I started the car to leave I was able to get the sound right away and I called my SA over. He agreed but we knew were stuck unless a tech could validate it but it was already after hours. I took it in the next day, pulled into the garage, SA called over tech and Service Manager. I turned engine off for a few minutes (part of my guaranteed process to replicate the problem), started it up and demonstrated the rattle by revving to ~3300 rpm and let off the gas. rattle-rattle-rattle as the rpms came down. All three nodded their heads in unison.

This had been a problem for me for a while but have learned it is best for everyone if I am sure a problem can be reliably repeated.
thanks for sharing yoru experience. what did the dealer end up servicing in your situation?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #61
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
thanks for sharing yoru experience. what did the dealer end up servicing in your situation?
2 new turbos, new vac lines.

They have a procedure to measure tolerances that require them to make adjustments rather than replace turbos. Rattle does not always = new turbo and it does not mean they will always replace both.

They also have some guidelines on what is "normal" rattle. This is a mechanical device it does make some noise.

Only reason I got both turbos is because my car ended up with a new model turbo and an old model turbo installed at the factory. When the tech tried to work on them they were different and BMWNA told him to replace both.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #62
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
2 new turbos, new vac lines.

They have a procedure to measure tolerances that require them to make adjustments rather than replace turbos. Rattle does not always = new turbo and it does not mean they will always replace both.

They also have some guidelines on what is "normal" rattle. This is a mechanical device it does make some noise.

Only reason I got both turbos is because my car ended up with a new model turbo and an old model turbo installed at the factory. When the tech tried to work on them they were different and BMWNA told him to replace both.
ah, i'll try to make sure the issue i'm having is replicable and then bring it in to see what they can do. thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #63
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
My 30FF was caused by a crack in the wastegate vac line.
+1 - Same thing happened to my car last month.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #64
2nice89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [1.00]
bmw just replaced my turbos under the extended warranty and i had all my hoses changed...feels like i have a brand new car
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #65
DuDai
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Taking my car in next Tuesday for the diagnosis. Hopefully they don't try to rip me off and say it's not covered under cpo. My rattle is really loud when letting off the throttle. Can hear it with windows rolled up easily never mind with windows down. Hope the mechanic here will be decent. Never been to this dealer yet as I just moved here 2 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #66
captainslow
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

does this happen to everyone at completely different mileage? i'm at 44,000 miles and have no rattle. when did you guys start noticing it? thanks
Appreciate 0