E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Valve cover gasket related to boost issues?

06-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi E92 N55

Valve cover gasket related to boost issues?

Having valve cover replaced and have been getting 002C57 have DME wiring and DME have been checked out and are fine. My mechanic believes the engine is on the way out as he reported the camshaft was tight but no scoring and no bearing damage. I don't know enough about engines to know if my mechanic is way off here. Wouldnt valve cover gasket help with no boost issue? Seems strange that a fixing a pressure problem wouldn't help the boost pressure issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Ok now the S65 question makes sense... No a bad VCG will not cause boost issues. If that is word for word what your mechanic said I'd run far away.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Ok now the S65 question makes sense... No a bad VCG will not cause boost issues. If that is word for word what your mechanic said I'd run far away.
Haha yeah should have put in same thread. Not that I believe these people but part of me wanted an excuse to try and make an AWD S65.

All I wanted them to do was put on new valve cover and address DME boost code and they could only do one of those things. Mechanic first said there would be camshaft scoring there isn't, and now they are saying cam is not turning turning to open intake valves, yet no camshaft or Vanos faults... Any thoughts on boost issue?

Suspect they want me to buy a car from them. Mentioned the m4 and they told me they had no used on the lot and do not sell used m4s very often. Lo and behold there's a now a pre owned m4 on the lot...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
Haha yeah should have put in same thread. Not that I believe these people but part of me wanted an excuse to try and make an AWD S65.

All I wanted them to do was put on new valve cover and address DME boost code and they could only do one of those things. Mechanic first said there would be camshaft scoring there isn't, and now they are saying cam is not turning turning to open intake valves, yet no camshaft or Vanos faults... Any thoughts on boost issue?

Suspect they want me to buy a car from them. Mentioned the m4 and they told me they had no used on the lot and do not sell used m4s very often. Lo and behold there's a now a pre owned m4 on the lot...
I'm going to guess he can't tell the eccentric shaft for valvetronic from the actual intake cam. "hard to turn" and "no scoring" wouldn't make any sense. You started posting about a S65 swap, you should try and diagnose the car yourself if you aren't going to find a new shop.

Besides the code, what issue(s) are you actually having? A S65 swap would be 20-30k, way more than a new N55 if it is actually bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #5
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to guess he can't tell the eccentric shaft for valvetronic from the actual intake cam. "hard to turn" and "no scoring" wouldn't make any sense. You started posting about a S65 swap, you should try and diagnose the car yourself if you aren't going to find a new shop.

Besides the code, what issue(s) are you actually having? A S65 swap would be 20-30k, way more than a new N55 if it is actually bad.
Car starts off fine acceleration and boost are normal but after 10 minutes of driving or so it goes into limp mode. Sometimes car stays in limp mode and sometimes boost will come back during the trip, but it always goes back into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:20 PM   #6
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

If your mechanic says your "cam is tight" either he doesn't know how cars work or you don't know what he really said. That code is either a boost leak or something JB4 related.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
If your mechanic says your "cam is tight" either he doesn't know how cars work or you don't know what he really said. That code is either a boost leak or something JB4 related.
I don't have jb4 and they did smoke test for boost leaks. That's what he said, the cam isn't able to turn freely, it's tight causing issues, not opening intake valves. This wasn't the mechanic, one of the service reps. The rep assured me initially that my camshaft bearing ledges were scored, but they aren't, so then it changed to its tight to turn and the engine is not running correctly. this is their conclusion with the no boost/ boost code, the camshaft isn't opening intake valves and this is throwing off boost putting car in limp mode...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Wow, that takes the cake for one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that takes the cake for one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
I asked for clarification, bmw told me "the intake cam, journal or bearing, has excessive damage somewhere and causing resistance and the Vanos cannot turn the cam to get the right timing and the timing is causing your power reduction" I really do not know enough to know what they are talking about. Any insight?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #10
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Vanos is a mechanism inside the cam sprocket and has nothing to do with "journals". I am not aware of any issues with it jamming, but the previous N54 engine would sometimes grind its cam journal bearings to a pulp and clog the Vanos solenoids with metal shavings. The solenoids are right on the front of the engine and easy to look at. They should be free of metal shavings and should rattle when shaken. I don't think the N55 has any such issues.

There is also a valvetronic cam which does indeed have journal bearings and is commonly known to chew up its worm gear such that the electric valvetronic motor makes a terrible clicking noise.

All that said, I can't imagine how any sort of cam issue could cause a low boost code.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #11
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Vanos is a mechanism inside the cam sprocket and has nothing to do with "journals". I am not aware of any issues with it jamming, but the previous N54 engine would sometimes grind its cam journal bearings to a pulp and clog the Vanos solenoids with metal shavings. The solenoids are right on the front of the engine and easy to look at. They should be free of metal shavings and should rattle when shaken. I don't think the N55 has any such issues.

There is also a valvetronic cam which does indeed have journal bearings and is commonly known to chew up its worm gear such that the electric valvetronic motor makes a terrible clicking noise.

All that said, I can't imagine how any sort of cam issue could cause a low boost code.
I had previously looked at solenoids and noticed one solenoid was tight and very hard to get back in, no metal shavings. I have no abnormal engine noise, engine sounds fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 10:29 PM   #12
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Stock power boost issues: Cracked charge pipe, leaking diverter valve, leaking coupler at turbo, intercooler or charge pipe, boost solenoid, vacuum leak.

Cam/vanos issues that would only cause a boost leak code: none.

Seriously, if you can't diagnose it yourself take it to an indy that knows BMWs. 99% of dealerships are worse than retarded when it comes to diagnosing/fixing their own cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #13
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Stock power boost issues: Cracked charge pipe, leaking diverter valve, leaking coupler at turbo, intercooler or charge pipe, boost solenoid, vacuum leak.

Cam/vanos issues that would only cause a boost leak code: none.

Seriously, if you can't diagnose it yourself take it to an indy that knows BMWs. 99% of dealerships are worse than retarded when it comes to diagnosing/fixing their own cars.
Had my Indy look at it, couldn't figure it out and two dealers one recommended here. I had them check for boost leaks and vacuum leaks. Gotta be boost solenoid then.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 10:57 PM   #14
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Had my Indy look at it, couldn't figure it out and two dealers one recommended here. I had them check for boost leaks and vacuum leaks. Gotta be boost solenoid then.
Well it is only ~$150 and a 5 minute swap, so worth a try.
Appreciate 0