E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > I'm going to shoot those BMW techs

01-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
I'm going to shoot those BMW techs

I think they fused my oil cap down. The green indicator dot is like almost an inch beyond where it should be. I'm just gonna let it cool down (and my temper) some more before trying again. I'm almost yanking the car off the ramps trying to get this thing off. Something so simple made difficult by morons. Absolutely no reason for this nonsense.

Please don't tell me the oil cap unscrews in a clockwise direction.

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigito View Post
I think they fused my oil cap down. The green indicator dot is like almost an inch beyond where it should be. I'm just gonna let it cool down (and my temper) some more before trying again. I'm almost yanking the car off the ramps trying to get this thing off. Something so simple made difficult by morons. Absolutely no reason for this nonsense.

Please don't tell me the oil cap unscrews in a clockwise direction.
LOL..I know what you mean. The first time I had the oil changed on my 330 I noticed the tech over TQ'd the cap. I politely asked him to back it out so the marks lined up.

Good luck and stay calm. If you can't back it out, call leave a message with the dealer ASAP telling them you're brining the car in to have a tech unscrew it by 1/4 turn.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The green mark you refer to is not a reference mark for the tightness of the oil filter cap when reassembling it after an oil change. The green dot is a production mark put there by the engine builder who assembled the oil filter. It is an inspection mark to show the cap has been properly torqued during assembly. When reassembled after an oil change the marks don't necessarily need to line up. Get the proper filter cap wrench and you will have no problem removing it.

It is a right-hand thread and unscrews counter-clockwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Craigito
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
GOT IT! Ok..I'm letting the techs off the hook. I realized when I was wrapping the oil wrench around the cap I was a little to low and grabbing the engine block instead of the side. No wonder I was having juuusssttt a bit of trouble.

Now to finish the oil change (the first one on this car since I'm out of warranty in about 100 miles)

CHeers

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Craigito
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
Ok that wasn't too bad...my only issue was the rhino ramps slipping and clearance issues. I had to buy couple rubber mats at lowes so since my concrete floor is really slick and the ramp kept getting pushed away when I'd try and drive up the ramp. I also had to put a coule 1x4's at the base of the ramp so that rubber piece that hangs down in front would clear the ramp. Took some patience but no big issues. I love having the oil filter in such an easily accessible spot but it does got a little messier of course than you typical oil filter replacement. FYI I use the 12000lb rhino ramps.

Appreciate 0