E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > First Look: Helix FMIC Prototype

02-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #221
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
Hey guys there are only 3 intercoolers left in this production run and it will be at least 6-7 more weeks till the next run is completed. if you are on the fence about purchasing a FMIC get off
I never knew a FMIC could help me "get off"....lol
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #222
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Daily bump. How's them sausages coming?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #223
bradcfi
Private
Rep
Drives: 20087 BMW 335i Sedan

All aftermarket IC's are larger, a key selling point. When is to big to big? At what point is air flow deminshed by the increased size, or does it. Is bigger always better with an IC?
      02-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #224
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradcfi View Post
All aftermarket IC's are larger, a key selling point. When is to big to big? At what point is air flow deminshed by the increased size, or does it. Is bigger always better with an IC?

Brad, I think a search here or on the internet would provide you great reading on the subject. You must pressurize all your charge piping including the intercooler, so getting the biggest IC is not necessarily the most important thing. Pressure drop across it, efficiency, turbo size, etc. all play a role in your choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #225
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

I've had some questions regarding fitment for a right-hand-drive car. To my knowledge, we haven't sent an intercooler to a country where people drive on the cack handed side of the street. If anybody has an intercooler part number from the U.K., R.S.A., or other countries with right hand drive, could you forward me that part number?

Better yet, why don't you folks driving on the wrong side, just change. My country did it on a historically famous day in the sixties. Sweden, being flanked by those who drove on the right, changed their errant ways and switched from driving on the left. It was called H day, and at 12 midnight, everybody just switched. It was no problem at all.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #226
DR_E92
Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 Coupe

would this IC fit without any cutting if we have the active cruise control?

the bumper is a bit different
      03-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #227
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

where is that group-buy thread?? Cant find it

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #228
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
where is that group-buy thread?? Cant find it
Second post under the vendor Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust parts forum. I know - hard to find

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...232100&page=13
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:54 AM   #229
BMW-driver
Drive carefully :)
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
You will still get peak gains of 20-25hp with the intercooler but a tune will optimize this gain over more of the powerband.
NO, ofcourse not. Grazy suggestion. The only benefit of a better (aftermarket) IC is that it maintains the power during havy (track) use on a havily tuned/modified car. On a standard car, daily driving, it is a useless modification. Even on a modified car (more psi's) on daily driving(!), where you sometimes pull hard on the highway, it is still(!) a useless modification. Not any extra HP.

So, only if the better FMIC is another extra upgrade, into a complete package of mofications of your car, the benefits are noticable. The benefit is only maintaning the power under havily use (track).

have fun!
ACS1.35i
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:21 AM   #230
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs1.35i View Post
NO, ofcourse not. Grazy suggestion. The only benefit of a better (aftermarket) IC is that it maintains the power during havy (track) use on a havily tuned/modified car. On a standard car, daily driving, it is a useless modification. Even on a modified car (more psi's) on daily driving(!), where you sometimes pull hard on the highway, it is still(!) a useless modification. Not any extra HP.

So, only if the better FMIC is another extra upgrade, into a complete package of mofications of your car, the benefits are noticable. The benefit is only maintaning the power under havily use (track).

have fun!
ACS1.35i
Uh huh. So what about the pressure drop across? What if it is better than stock? What if it is much more efficient than stock? Are you telling me lower IATs are bad in any situation? Come on. I will log IATs on the stock IC for you to show you how fast they rise on the stock IC.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 04:25 AM   #231
BMW-driver
Drive carefully :)
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

^These are technical discussions, on dyno's situations. But not for the real world. In real live, daily driving, people sometimes hit the throttle (you never do 8 runs, after eachother). There is plenty of time for the stock OEM to cool down. And a better intercooler is for preventing power-loss, it is not a powerbooster!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #232
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Not true, I have seen peak boost go down ~2-3 PSI which means the DME IS sensing cooler IATs and less boost is required for the same power. This means less work for the turbos at the same power level. You may realize MORE benefit at the track but I see every day how it also works on the street. ALL OE intercoolers I have ever had were subject to heatsoak on the street, where (at least here in ATL) in traffic the OE intercooler is trying even harder to bring down IATs. This discussion is subject to the intercooler you are using and the climate of the area you live in though

You are correct that it is not a power adder but does make power consistent.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #233
335i/335d?
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340 m sport individual

Does someone know if there is a problem installing the Helix FMIC on a m-sport 335i e92 '09?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #234
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
Not true, I have seen peak boost go down ~2-3 PSI which means the DME IS sensing cooler IATs and less boost is required for the same power. This means less work for the turbos at the same power level. You may realize MORE benefit at the track but I see every day how it also works on the street. ALL OE intercoolers I have ever had were subject to heatsoak on the street, where (at least here in ATL) in traffic the OE intercooler is trying even harder to bring down IATs. This discussion is subject to the intercooler you are using and the climate of the area you live in though

You are correct that it is not a power adder but does make power consistent.
I will be doing realtime IAT tests this weeks with the BMS Tuning tool. You will be able to see how high the IATs climb on a stock IC before this week is over.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #235
335i/335d?
Private First Class
Rep

I dont know if this is with a stock or upgraded FMIC:

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #236
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I will be doing realtime IAT tests this weeks with the BMS Tuning tool. You will be able to see how high the IATs climb on a stock IC before this week is over.

the testing has already been done, the Helix FMIC is a huge improvement over stock. To the guy saying a FMIC is a waste on the street, well your wrong...plain and simple. There are datalogs to back it up. Even over a 1 gear pull at WOT IAT's on the stock FMIC skyrocket, with the Helix, they are basically stable.
      03-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #237
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
the testing has already been done, the Helix FMIC is a huge improvement over stock. To the guy saying a FMIC is a waste on the street, well your wrong...plain and simple. There are datalogs to back it up. Even over a 1 gear pull at WOT IAT's on the stock FMIC skyrocket, with the Helix, they are basically stable.
... plus he thinks you can't make more power with a FMIC. It's been shown numerous times that you can. Pressure drop + raise the boost back up = more power than before, along with more stable IATs. It's not a complex equation
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #238
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

he is butthurt that ACS does not make an intercooler - hence his bias towards not getting one

Real world? I think an upgraded IC would show its benefits MOST in real world driving
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #239
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

in a week or two i'm going back to the dyno with the VK FMIC and will be able to show clear before/after graphs for all the naysayers out there (mainly just this guy)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #240
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
in a week or two i'm going back to the dyno with the VK FMIC and will be able to show clear before/after graphs for all the naysayers out there (mainly just this guy)
Plenty of those exist. It won't be ground breaking that an upgraded FMIC keeps IATs substantially cooler. More power on the road and more power in the summer when it matters most.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #241
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
... plus he thinks you can't make more power with a FMIC. It's been shown numerous times that you can. Pressure drop + raise the boost back up = more power than before, along with more stable IATs. It's not a complex equation
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
he is butthurt that ACS does not make an intercooler - hence his bias towards not getting one

Real world? I think an upgraded IC would show its benefits MOST in real world driving
yup

Quote:
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Plenty of those exist. It won't be ground breaking that an upgraded FMIC keeps IATs substantially cooler. More power on the road and more power in the summer when it matters most.
and yup
      03-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #242
335i/335d?
Private First Class
Rep

I posted this question also on N54tech:

Is boost measured after the FMIC or before? If boost is measured after IC the boost is controlled by the piggyback/ECU so boost at the intake manifold will be similar as with the factory IC, will this mean that the extra power of the FMIC is only caused by lower intake air temperature? Further this will mean that the turbo's have to work less to make the same boost (due to less pressure loss in the after market FMIC), so the longelivity will improve. Further advantage will probably be that you can drive an higher boost map during warmer days

Am I correct??
Appreciate 0