E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Troubleshoot fan/cooling issue?

07-02-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
omniscient87
Rep
Drives: 09 335 6mt

Troubleshoot fan/cooling issue?

I have an 09 335xi, 109k, new pumps, injectors, walnut blast etc. my issue is when logging, the engine temp will get up to about 230f before the fan kicks on, when it does I get code 2EFF, the fan kicks on full blast and the car goes into sort of a limp mode, throttle is reduced, no boost. When I clear the code, the fan turns off or goes to low speed and the coolant temps drop down to 190-200 and the car functions normally.

Before I start throwing parts at it, does anyone have a similar experience or a suggestions as to where I should start looking?

I’ve googled the code and I’ve seen everything from a bad coolant temp sensor to a DME defect.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

you said new Punp, so I am assume you purged the coolant of air bubbles via electronic procedure. did you hear the pump go on and off during the purge?

Did you replace the Tstat also or not?
2eff is notorious for Water Pump and Tstat.

after installing WP and Tstat, you have to clear the code and then do a purge.
you could have a Faulty new WP or Tstat.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
omniscient87
Rep
Drives: 09 335 6mt

Sorry for being vague, I meant fuel pumps. The PO did the hpfp in October of last year and I recently did a fuel it stage two.

I believe the water pump has been replaced, it’s a Continental unit, unless they’re an OEM manufacturer.

I just did the bleed procedure to test the pump, it’s moving coolant and there is pressure in the hoses, it was audible, but I’ve only been able to find videos of harsh pump noise so I have no reference to base off of, but it’s denfinetly not as bad as those videos.
Appreciate 0