E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E90 335i need help coding out adaptive headlight

09-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
Nickfreeman14
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

E90 335i need help coding out adaptive headlight

Hi Im in the Norfolk, VA area and was wondering if there was anybody around here that could code out my adaptive headlights for me? my car unfortunately was in an accident and cracked the front headlight. Ill pay anybody who can help/do it for me!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
wollac11
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 (pre-LCI)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Not in that area or I'd help you but you can get kit to do this yourself easily and for not too much. Bimmercode app + one of these adapters in your OBDII port should do the trick: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193060943881

It's much cheaper than Carly and it's a one off payment. Very simple to use and a worth while investment. There are many cool extra features which can be coded in.

Edit: I misread your location (I was thinking you were in Norfolk UK!) but you should be able to get that adapter or a different compatible one from ebay.com in US easily enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollac11 View Post
Not in that area or I'd help you but you can get kit to do this yourself easily and for not too much. Bimmercode app + one of these adapters in your OBDII port should do the trick: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193060943881

It's much cheaper than Carly and it's a one off payment. Very simple to use and a worth while investment. There are many cool extra features which can be coded in.

Edit: I misread your location (I was thinking you were in Norfolk UK!) but you should be able to get that adapter or a different compatible one from ebay.com in US easily enough.
I don't believe Bimmercode has the ability to code out the adaptive headlights, I know they integrate expert mode on F chassis but not sure if that's the same on E chassis since it's fairly new
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 03:33 AM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickfreeman14 View Post
Hi Im in the Norfolk, VA area and was wondering if there was anybody around here that could code out my adaptive headlights for me? my car unfortunately was in an accident and cracked the front headlight. Ill pay anybody who can help/do it for me!
I realize this response is way after the fact but in case the problem was not resolved, you can easily do this your self. Do you have a Windows laptop? Buy a $40 cable from www.bimmergeeks,net and download and install the free BMW Standard tools software from the same site.

You'll use NCSExpert to modify the VO (vehicle order; a list of options installed in your car) by removing $524 (option code for adaptive headlights).

The steps are:
Open NCSExpert with "Expert" protocol
Load VO
Modify VO
Save VO (FA_write) to the CAS and NFRM modules.
"Default" code (SG_Codieren) CAS and NFRM

The above is obviously just the bare bones of what you'd do. There are many tutorials on how to install and use NCSExpert and a number of threads on how to code out adaptive headlights. Search is your friend.

But if your headlights no longer correctly aimed after your accident, coding is not going to help you. The adaptive headlights are rather fragile internally and the plastic bits necessary to establishing the orientation of the projector break easily.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:14 AM   #5
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Can I assume the above method could be used to do the opposite and code IN an adaptive headlight? I got one new headlight after being damaged by hitting a deer and it's not adaptive after the install like my other original one.....the new one was installed by a BMW collision center but they said I had to take it to the dealer to have it "coded"......now I have one adaptive and one not
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:02 AM   #6
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
Can I assume the above method could be used to do the opposite and code IN an adaptive headlight? I got one new headlight after being damaged by hitting a deer and it's not adaptive after the install like my other original one.....the new one was installed by a BMW collision center but they said I had to take it to the dealer to have it "coded"......now I have one adaptive and one not
Not exactly in your case - the VO should already be correct. However, headlight module (AHL) might be from a car with a different I-level and could need either re-programming (using WinKFP) or coding (using NCSExpert) or both.

I'd try coding the AHL first, which is the last step in the very bare bones list I posted. With more detail below:

Open NCS
Load "Expert" or "Factory Coding" profile
F1 (Start)
F3 (CHoose Chassis)
Select E89
Select CAS (this loads the VO so NCSExpert know what to do)
F6 (Back)
F3 (Choose ECU)
Select RSMC or SMC_R or SMCDS_R
(if the offending headlight is on the right; LSMC if on the left)
F1 (Change Job)
Select "SG_Codieren" (This may already be the default)
F2 (Execute Job)

Something like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Thanks, I think I will get the cable and software and give it a try. The headlight I got was brand new so it should just need initial coding I would guess...Also, the step where you choose chassis and select E89, I would select E92 here instead right, since my car is an E92 coupe?

Last edited by nikitino25; 01-07-2020 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #8
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
Thanks, I think I will get the cable and software and give it a try. The headlight I got was brand new so it should just need initial coding I would guess...Also, the step where you choose chassis and select E89, I would select E92 here instead right, since my car is an E92 coupe?
E89 is for all e9x chassis cars. Do the steps dpaul wrote above and it should fix your issue!
Appreciate 1
dpaul653.50