E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > What a Difference a Day Makes. (maybe graphic for some)

07-30-2009, 03:35 AM   #45
CannonballBikeRun
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XJR

Mr Howarth, you are one amazing individual. I knew that was the case before but you just had to go and take it to another level didn't you?

Rest assured mate - whatever the outcome you have the heart and spirit to continue living life the absolute max. Damn it, you'll probably make it even better just for the hell of it.

Just hope I'll be there to share a little of it along the way.

Godspeed buddy.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #46
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8is, Lambo Gallardo

First post updated:

Thursday 30th July: Best day so far really, its hard to say if the vision has improved, but I got my toothpaste on my toothbrush first time today! I drove for the first time last night since the accident with my wife Angela in the car, very strange indeed, but managed around 10 miles with no probs and no cause for concern...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #47
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant397 View Post
First post updated:

Thursday 30th July: Best day so far really, its hard to say if the vision has improved, but I got my toothpaste on my toothbrush first time today! I drove for the first time last night since the accident with my wife Angela in the car, very strange indeed, but managed around 10 miles with no probs and no cause for concern...
Glad to hear that you are improving Ant.

Nasty looking injury.

Do you know exactly what happened? Did the nail come out of the rear of the gun or bounce back off the ground?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #48
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonballBikeRun View Post
Mr Howarth, you are one amazing individual. I knew that was the case before but you just had to go and take it to another level didn't you?

Rest assured mate - whatever the outcome you have the heart and spirit to continue living life the absolute max. Damn it, you'll probably make it even better just for the hell of it.

Just hope I'll be there to share a little of it along the way.

Godspeed buddy.
Cheers Steve, rest assured the Cannonball Bike Run will witness more of 'Dead Eye' Howarth in the future!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #49
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I replied to you, dont think you saw it because its at the bottom of the first page.

Go back and have a butchers mate.

Good luck with the recovery? What if the old bill tug you with only one eye currently working.
      07-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #50
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
You can legally drive with just one eye.

You can't pilot on HGV though.
      07-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #51
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I replied to you, dont think you saw it because its at the bottom of the first page.

Go back and have a butchers mate.

Good luck with the recovery? What if the old bill tug you with only one eye currently working.

Saw it, cheers mate.

I wouldn't have driven if it wasn't legal Bud... got the all clear from the docs, insurance co and DVLA first.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #52
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Really sorry to hear all this Ant and this is nothing short of a miracle. I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a really speedy recovery. Keep well dude.
      07-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #53
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Good to see you posting Ant, great shame it's in such unfortunate circumstances.

Here's hoping you make a full recovery

P.S. You could always sell your story and pics to the HSE!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #54
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

och all the best hope the healing goes well
      07-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #55
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

*kin hell !!

I've got a paslode gun (the orange one that daft joiner with the braces Tommy Walsh uses on the telly prog) and I managed to put a 90mm nail through my little finger a couple of years ago.

I use it a lot and it really is a time saver but gives off a hell of a bang and still scares the shit outa me every time.

Broke the bone in my finger and hurt like hell so I just can't imagine how bad it was through your eye.

Get well soon
      07-31-2009, 04:10 AM   #56
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lons View Post
*kin hell !!

I've got a paslode gun (the orange one that daft joiner with the braces Tommy Walsh uses on the telly prog) and I managed to put a 90mm nail through my little finger a couple of years ago.

I use it a lot and it really is a time saver but gives off a hell of a bang and still scares the shit outa me every time.

Broke the bone in my finger and hurt like hell so I just can't imagine how bad it was through your eye.

Get well soon

Many thanks for you input!

It seems the more people I speak to, the more have/know of someone that has lost their sight through an accident and it has come back eventualy.

One of my mates friends was putting an outdoor trampoline together and a spring flung up and embedded in the outside of his eye... immediate blindness and surgery, but the sight eventualy came back.

Every case is different and its still hard to say, but my spirits are high and I haven't spilt any liquid whilst pouring for a couple of days now!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 04:49 AM   #57
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

I hope you get you full sight back, suppose like you say it could have been much worse hope you make a speedy recovery.

These things can be so dangerous, the black cartridges are designed for firing fixings into steel, for concrete and tarmac generally they are too powerful. Although all the training they provide they say wear goggles in this instance it may have caused more damage. I have heard of a chainman on a site wanting to see whether a hilti nail would fire through his steel toe cap, I believe he lost toes.

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 04:57 AM   #58
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant397 View Post

I haven't spilt any liquid whilst pouring for a couple of days now!
Well that's not difficult - just drink it out of the bottle, (keep your thumb on top though in case somebody sneaks up on your bad eye side and spikes your drink)

You must have a great outlook on life - I'd be climbing the walls.
Good luck mate
      08-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #59
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lons View Post
Well that's not difficult - just drink it out of the bottle, (keep your thumb on top though in case somebody sneaks up on your bad eye side and spikes your drink)

You must have a great outlook on life - I'd be climbing the walls.
Good luck mate
I think I have too because I always thought of losing my sight as worse than losing my life... Truth is its not so bad really, both lost would be a different story, but for 1, you just need good people around you to take the bad times really.

I feel its best to keep busy and keep active and push myself to adapt.

I WENT TO A TRACKDAY AT OULTON PARK TODAY IN MY MATE PAULS E46 M3, WHAT A LAUGH IN THE RAIN!

JUST GOT TO KEEP AT IT.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #60
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Ant mate? you confirmed as you have lost your sight?

Your in Autosport Buddy, read it earlier. They called you Andrew.

Thats the least of your worries though.
      08-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #61
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Ant mate? you confirmed as you have lost your sight?

Your in Autosport Buddy, read it earlier. They called you Andrew.

Thats the least of your worries though.
Yeah I know!

The writter of that column makes daft mistakes all the time...

Just clarify:
"Ant mate? you confirmed as you have lost your sight?" for me, not sure what you mean mate.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #62
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Loosing your sight totally just a is a scary thought, been there and dont wish it to anybody. Hope it all heals.

About 3 years ago a day before a house move I got realy bad face pains while driving home felt like I was punched in the face, thought nothing of it apart from either migrane (way too many years of rugby, boxing, american footbal). But as I got home it got worse and pain started to move around to point I could not bend down without always passing out from pain.

Rung NHS direct and for once they immiediatly made an appointmen for me in 24h GP and for tests. Turned out I had suspected Temporal Arteritis as it can be caused by alergy to Penicilin and few days earlier I finished a course of them. Basically if left untreated in few days you can be blind in both or one eye. You can imagine the panic in my mind when I was told this. Only treatment is some serious asteroids and this was case of find them now and start within the hour dont wait for tests which take 72hours to come back.

Anyway seems by the time the blood was take 24hours after starting the treatment the results came back as safe though it still took another 5 days before I got off the steroids as had to reduce the dosage daily cant go cold turkey. Either I got lucky and the intial hit of drugs got rid off it as cought it early or it was minor attack.

Either way it left a lot of questions in my mind on what if?

For one I would have never seen my little girl born in November last year and that alone would have killed me.

Hope you get all sorted
      08-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #63
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

My God ,you have just made me really think about how I operate my power tools ,as an owner of a very reputable building company I use all sorts of power tools and never in 26 years have I worn any protective eyewear, now before you all tell me I am stupid it is really hard to see when wearing goggles or even glasses as they mist up or get covered in dust and allthough goggles are now banned I still don't like wearing the glasses but I tell you all one thing I am going to be wearing them from now on .

Ant, you are a very brave Guy and you remind me of myself I wish you a very speedy recovery mate.
      08-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #64
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
My God ,you have just made me really think about how I operate my power tools ,as an owner of a very reputable building company I use all sorts of power tools and never in 26 years have I worn any protective eyewear, now before you all tell me I am stupid it is really hard to see when wearing goggles or even glasses as they mist up or get covered in dust and allthough goggles are now banned I still don't like wearing the glasses but I tell you all one thing I am going to be wearing them from now on .

Ant, you are a very brave Guy and you remind me of myself I wish you a very speedy recovery mate.
have a look at the oakley protective eyeware, screwfix do some good ones and are very good

I was the same but after my scare I began to think otherwise now have a pair of oakleys clear clenses, just a simple case of putting some contacts in and wearing them, they dont mist up or anything, and in terms of dust no worse then normal glasses as close to face they fit great
      08-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #65
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

I will take a look matey ,thanks

michael.
      08-02-2009, 04:21 AM   #66
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Blimmin 'ell thats a serious piece of bad and good luck Ant! Hope the recovery continues to go well.
Appreciate 0