E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Dent

04-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
KnockTsuKow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

Dent

p

Last edited by KnockTsuKow; 02-23-2016 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Whitedove
Rep
Drives: E36... E46...Z4............E92

Mmmm

Time for a Cf lip to seal that hickup...lol!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:10 AM   #3
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

I would let it go since it's minor. My bumper is probably all scrapped up underneath. I just don't look. If I fix it, I'll have the same problem. I'd just leave it alone or add a lip as suggested.
      04-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

yes, i have seen ppl use commercial heat gun to reshape them back,
      04-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
KnockTsuKow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
yes, i have seen ppl use commercial heat gun to reshape them back,
Got it,does that require removing the bumper in this case? and how much they run about?

THX
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
KnockTsuKow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
I would let it go since it's minor. My bumper is probably all scrapped up underneath. I just don't look. If I fix it, I'll have the same problem. I'd just leave it alone or add a lip as suggested.
I think scraped up I don't mind but dented drives me nuts lol
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revhardrsx View Post
Got it,does that require removing the bumper in this case? and how much they run about?

THX
there are pro shop does bumper repair, but i believe its not worth it in ur case.

for diy, probably best pull the bumper cover down and heat it up from the otherside so you dont damage the paint.

there are several you tube video about this technique.
      04-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

You can get a $10 heat gun from Harbor Freight, you don't need anything fancy. Put the car on ramps or jack stands and then remove the splash shield so you have access. Slowly heat the area - I'd try to get both sides, but if you can't get the heat gun to the backside, heating up just the bottom will work. Then I'd push out the bump slowly and see what happens. Make sure you wear gloves, it's hot.

You're not likely to damage the paint as long as you don't hold the heat gun aimed at one spot, move it around. It's no different than heating up the paint when rolling fenders. I don't know if you'll ever get it perfect, but you should get most of it out. And by heating up the paint, you're less likely for it to crack while you're trying to push the dent out.

I've done similar stuff and it's not hard, just take your time.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
KnockTsuKow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
You can get a $10 heat gun from Harbor Freight, you don't need anything fancy. Put the car on ramps or jack stands and then remove the splash shield so you have access. Slowly heat the area - I'd try to get both sides, but if you can't get the heat gun to the backside, heating up just the bottom will work. Then I'd push out the bump slowly and see what happens. Make sure you wear gloves, it's hot.

You're not likely to damage the paint as long as you don't hold the heat gun aimed at one spot, move it around. It's no different than heating up the paint when rolling fenders. I don't know if you'll ever get it perfect, but you should get most of it out. And by heating up the paint, you're less likely for it to crack while you're trying to push the dent out.

I've done similar stuff and it's not hard, just take your time.

Thanks man, yea I tried it with a blow dryer and it did improve a little but I think I need that heat gun to really do the job. I just heated from the outside and pushed it in...I think the challenge with dryer is you don't know if it's heated right or taking too long if anything....Thank you for the advice again
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
KnockTsuKow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As far as the main reason for getting a lip is I scraped by M-Bumper real bad and has a dent. Today i went to Freight harbor and bought a heat gun 14.99, jacked up my car and after heating my bumper for 1 min and applying force it came out pretty good (took 3 tries and blow dryer did not work for me _

If anything I can now get a really good lip and knowing I don't have to hide anymore dent , price to pay for driving a nice E90 and Thanks to everyone for their advice and help on this site.

It's not a hard fix just have to be patient and a MUST to jack up car with jack stands, originally I tried without jacking up...nogo. good lesson learned today and was able to turn by beast back to beauty, Thank you all for your advice and help!!!
Appreciate 0