E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Another Boxster S thread...

09-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Another Boxster S thread...

Now then peoples...

I am thinking about buying this...
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1233118.htm

In fact, I will probably go do it on Saturday.

It has all the spec I wanted which needed to include both Nav and PASM (and thats bloody rare) so I am quite chuffed by the price and mileage.

Anything specific I should look out for or be aware of on a car of this age (first run of the 3.4 cars I guess) and MOB any chance of you ever getting back to me about the big BHP N/A tuning

If I buy it, I may roll in it to the E90 meet with my E90 not being anywhere near finished (still lacks a rear diffuser)

Cheers
Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #2
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Look out for cheap paper floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Look out for cheap paper floor mats.
Yeah I spotted them, I was going to try and get the cheap paper floor mats out of one of his Lambo's....

I was certainly going to try and get a 'half hour' test drive in one of the Exotics as part of the deal

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

bit young for a mid life crisis aren't you Matt?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Looks a good example from the pics. Ask him what he means by 'full history' ie. how much is Porsche service history out of interest.

Check the discs Matt predominately for grooves and whether driving the car cleans the discs if you know what I mean and cleans them evenly. Looks like the car may have been washed and just moved slightly so the discs haven't been wiped by the pads.

It's very important after washing any Porsche that you clean the discs off by driving up and down your drive three or four times otherwise the buggers will lock on virtually solid and you have to use the engine to free them off. This causes premature wear on the discs btw.

Oh, the only other thing on those engines as with the Cayman is water pump failure is fairly common so just have a nosey.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
TBH it looks the dogs danglies to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Looks a good example from the pics. Ask him what he means by 'full history' ie. how much is Porsche service history out of interest.

Check the discs Matt predominately for grooves and whether driving the car cleans the discs if you know what I mean and cleans them evenly. Looks like the car may have been washed and just moved slightly so the discs haven't been wiped by the pads.

It's very important after washing any Porsche that you clean the discs off by driving up and down your drive three or four times otherwise the buggers will lock on virtually solid and you have to use the engine to free them off. This causes premature wear on the discs btw.

Oh, the only other thing on those engines as with the Cayman is water pump failure is fairly common so just have a nosey.
You and the fella fancy coming up and having a look around lol?

There is lunch in it for ya!!

Anyway, I will check that for sure... having spoken to them a number of times today, I am impressed by the friendly attitude and so on which even with salesguys I often find is lacking... so far, so good.

As you say, will check the history for sure - if fully Porsche, is there any way I can get the car back onto a Porsche warranty type setup?

And Paul - maybe, but I have an undue amount of stress for a man my age!!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Evo says...

As I mentioned last month, if I leave the car parked up for more than a few days the pads seize on the discs, leading to a small lurch and accompanying disconcerting crunch on moving for the first time. The brakes then sound pretty horrid and work at what feels like 50 per cent efficiency for the first few applications until the discs are cleared of the rust that seems to be the cause of the problem. My dealer - Porsche Centre Exeter, which is probably one of the friendliest, helpful and most enthusiastic dealers I've dealt with - confirmed that this is a common Boxster problem with no known cure. As problems go, its more akin to finding a small gnat doing the breaststroke in your beer as opposed to a belligerent wasp, but a niggle nevertheless.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
and MOB any chance of you ever getting back to me about the big BHP N/A tuning
oops forgot

I'm not sure that there is a UK company providing the upgrades, but what happened a while back is a group of Planet Porsche members did a group buy on the parts that were needed from the US, and got together to help each other fit it all;

http://www.planetporsche.net/united-...num-party.html

You could join up on that forum and PM the guy that started that thread.

HTH

Boxster looks nice BTW
      09-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
MOB
Major
England
Rep

Also

http://www.planetporsche.net/reviews...duct=225&cat=4
      09-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Spot on mate, registered and posting now!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You and the fella fancy coming up and having a look around lol?

There is lunch in it for ya!!

Anyway, I will check that for sure... having spoken to them a number of times today, I am impressed by the friendly attitude and so on which even with salesguys I often find is lacking... so far, so good.

As you say, will check the history for sure - if fully Porsche, is there any way I can get the car back onto a Porsche warranty type setup?
Might have taken you up on that Matt if I hadn't have been busy this Saturday.

If a full Porsche service history you may be able to 'walk into' a Porsche warranty, however I would check with an OPC tbh. If the car hasn't got a full PSH then I honestly don't know where you'd stand. It could be a case of say an OPC checking the car over, but wanting to charge but then approve a warranty?

Lol at what the Evo guy said. I can imagine the brakes may stick on if not driven for a few days although neither of mine were ever left that long so don't know. All I know is if I didn't clean the discs off after having washed the car then come the morning they were pretty much stuck on.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that Helen.

Was is it about Porsche brakes that do that then?

Composition of the pads?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Looks like a very nice motor Matt. Not my first choice of alloys though but nice nethertheless. High specced Boxsters are hard to find aren't they.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Listen for a ticking at idle speed, some earlier models suffered with noisy hydraulic tappets, it's not the end of the world, but a good bargaining tool.

As said by BB, check discs, make sure they will go until the next service, Porsche discs have been know to need replacing in as little as 15k, not sure why the brake don't appear that good.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for that Helen.

Was is it about Porsche brakes that do that then?

Composition of the pads?

Matt
I'm not entirely sure Matt although my understanding of the situation is that they use a quite porous cast iron in the making of the discs and the pads may have a higher metallic content? All this adds to water displacement and dispersing of heat combined with the fact that the discs are drilled. The standard brakes are good and I've never experienced any brake fade on either Porsche that I've owned.

Tbh, the cleaning of the discs became part of the post washing process and something I did even with the BMW's but not to the same extent admittedly.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 03:04 AM   #17
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Great looking Boxster, I saw this one (on the net) when I was looking last week. I do not believe you can 'walk into' a Porsche warranty without first having their 111 point check and then putting right anything they find. The official warranty will then cost you £1250. The trader cannot do it for you, you have to do it yourself as a private owner - this info from OPC Bolton.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #18
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Great looking Boxster, I saw this one (on the net) when I was looking last week. I do not believe you can 'walk into' a Porsche warranty without first having their 111 point check and then putting right anything they find. The official warranty will then cost you £1250. The trader cannot do it for you, you have to do it yourself as a private owner - this info from OPC Bolton.
I dont mind doing that I dont think - in fact if I choose that car, and decide to go for the OPC warranty, then I might as well get it checked by Porsche anyway!

At least then I can walk away if its shizzle!!

Did you ever sort one out mate?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #19
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

That is a great looking spec. Surprising how few of these cars made it out of the factory with navigation and xenons. Best of luck with it.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #20
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the posts guys!

Will see how it goes then eh??

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:22 AM   #21
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
I dont mind doing that I dont think - in fact if I choose that car, and decide to go for the OPC warranty, then I might as well get it checked by Porsche anyway!

At least then I can walk away if its shizzle!!

Did you ever sort one out mate?

Matt
Haven't sorted out anything yet, and playing a waiting game for the right car, for the amount that you are paying for that Boxster you can get a very nice facelift 911 (996) C4S (3.6) - as I have been finding out! There are three at Driven Image so if you go and look at the Boxster.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #22
MOB
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Haven't sorted out anything yet, and playing a waiting game for the right car, for the amount that you are paying for that Boxster you can get a very nice facelift 911 (996) C4S (3.6) - as I have been finding out! There are three at Driven Image so if you go and look at the Boxster.
I could look at their stock list all day