E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

04-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #331
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinfo_us View Post
Dan,

I am really sorry to hear that you've got ticking noise in your brand new 335. I am currently driving new (one month old) 335Xi as well and do get ticking noise especially pronounced when car is fully worm and at idle. The funny (not so funny to me but anyway) part that I just replaced a 325 BECAUSE of ticking noise that BMW attempted to repair several times and could not. I guess I am cursed with it. LOL. I was one of the very first ppl to report this problem with 325 (you can find more in this sticky section and listen to my MP3). Here is what I can tell if I try to compare ticking in my old 325 and new 335. The sound is very similar and does point to a lifter problem but there are differences. 335 ticking noise is not as heavy metal-on-metal sound as 325 was and not nearly as loud. Noise gets louder and more pronounced when transmission is engaged in 335 and in 325 that would not make any difference at all. The ticking noise in 325 would not go away if you raise rpm's but does in 335 and does not come back immediately (takes 10-20 seconds when rpm's go back to idle). At the root of 325 ticking noise was not enough of oil pressure so is it safe to assume it is the case with 335 – I don’t know. Since 335 is based on old N54 engine I did some search on it. I’ve seen reports were ppl said ticking noise disappeared after oil change; there are reports that Vanos and/or lifters needed to be recalibrated or replaced. There are reports where ticking noise in N54 led to cam, rocker and etc replacement and long term damage but not as much as 325/330 and not as quickly (usually after warranty was over).
Anyway, I’d be very interested to learn what your dealer said if you are planning to bring it in. It might be helpful to have a video/audio recording of ticking noise when you go for your appointment if you are not sure you can reproduce ticking noise there. Your dealer might try to tell you that this is normal (I’ve heard it many times before). I’d ask him to compare to several randomly chosen 335 and it should become quickly apparent this is not normal. I do not want to jump to any conclusions yet. Here is what I am planning to do:
1. I am going to change oil. The original oil the car came with is designed to help in a break-in process. The oil that BMW comes with is a cocktail (if you search for first oil analyses you'll find all the info and more). So, if you are done with your break-in it is a really good idea to do it regardless.
2. If step 1 does not work. I'll bring it to the dealer than depends on what they say I'll have them fix it or take my car to independent BMW tech with good reputation.

Could you tell me if ticking noise I described here is the same with what you have? My car has 1600 miles on it and I started to hear ticking noise after first couple hundred miles. I hope this helps and let’s see if by working together we are going to be able to find some answers.
the ticking sound on the 335i is very likely just the High precision fuel injectors... you're likely just hearing the piezo electric crystals opening and closing. Every 335i ticks at idle with these injectors
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #332
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
the ticking sound on the 335i is very likely just the High precision fuel injectors... you're likely just hearing the piezo electric crystals opening and closing. Every 335i ticks at idle with these injectors
Thank you. I REALLY hope you are right. What started my concern is that this ticking noise was not there first few hundred miles ... Since I got burned with ticking noise in my previous car now I am listening very carefully … may be I am listening too much into it ...
      04-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #333
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinfo_us View Post
Thank you. I REALLY hope you are right. What started my concern is that this ticking noise was not there first few hundred miles ... Since I got burned with ticking noise in my previous car now I am listening very carefully … may be I am listening too much into it ...
you might be listening to it too much... focussing in on it.

I recommend that you just enjoy your brand new car and assume the ticking you here now is the injectors which is normal... don't go around worrying until you have a full-on reason too
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #334
Sand_Piper
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Graphite

Ok! Hello all. been reading some of the post on this issue. I to have also heard this ticking from the engine. It doesn't stick around long enough for me to take it in but I did report it to them. Not sure if anyone explained but here is the low down on the Hydro Lifter-- it's in place so there is never a need to manually adjust the rocker arms. the lifter adjust via engine oil pressure entering in a pin hole at the bottom of the lifter's cylinder(lifteris about 3-5in long). The more rev the more oil pressure the further your lifter extends pushing your rocker arm up. The rocker arm is a semi U-shaped lever that bridges the lifter to the valve shaft with the cam shaft sitting on top the rocker arm. Effect> lifter extends becuse of rev, pushes against cam, cam lobe comes around pushes on rocker arm, rocker arm pushes on valve. the further lifter extends the further valve opens.

also lifter problems in BMW engines are pretty common. spoke with a couple mechanics that remember when the e46 M3 first came out they had to do a recall on some of the engines in the U.K..
I had a E30 M40 engine a while ago ran into lifter problems at almost 100k it stated with the cold starts, then to the low oil, then the low idle till one day it was all the time then it was so loud that you could here it down the street almost a block away.

The bad news about the tick it's actually a gap between two metal parts and if you let it go it will only get worse and damages the lifter, rocker arm, cam and valves. to replace valves the engine head has to be removed. if you have the problem plan to have it the whole life until they find the cause of the lifter maulfuntion.

The good news if you can't here it when you take it in be patient it will become more frequent.

Hope this is helpful!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 12:17 AM   #335
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

ha ha, I'm patient. It's the dealerships that aren't...

Seriously, great first post Sand_Piper

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #336
dman
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

My 2006 325i (build date May 2005) has ticked a couple of times. In each case, the engine was not fully warmed up. I could tell it was a valvetrain issue since it was ticking at half engine RPM. And, yes, it was pretty loud. Hasn't happened since the weather warmed up. The car now has 31k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #337
rkg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Interesting observation ...

I have been keeping track of the random ticking with my 330. I now have about 7K on the clock and have changed the oil at 1200, 3500, and 6500. Since my last oil change, I have not had any ticking other than a few ticks at initial startup. Will keep listening and watching ...

FYI ... I have been running Mobile 1 5W-30.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #338
Arrowhead
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Interesting observation ...

I have been keeping track of the random ticking with my 330. I now have about 7K on the clock and have changed the oil at 1200, 3500, and 6500. Since my last oil change, I have not had any ticking other than a few ticks at initial startup. Will keep listening and watching ...

FYI ... I have been running Mobile 1 5W-30.
Are we ok to use 5W-30? I thought BMW recommend 0W-30?!
Well, what happened to my car is that I haven't had a chance to bring my car to another dealer regarding to this ticking issue. And since the weather is getting warmer, I noticed my 325 just stop ticking now! It's so weird!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #339
rkg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

right from the manual ...

Viscosity ratings
Viscosity is the oil flow rating as defined in SAE
classes.
The selection of the correct SAE class depends
on the climatic conditions in the area where you
typically drive your BMW.
Approved oils are in SAE classes 5W-40
and 5W-30.<
These oils may be used for driving in all ambient ...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #340
Flavio
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Hi folks! I just wanted to let you know that I also had the valve ticking issue in my 2006 325xi since new.
The BMW dealer said it was "normal and should go away with use. I agreed to monitor it and come back later. It did not get better, actually worsened. At 4800 miles took it back to the delaer and had all exhaust lifters replaced.
This is a chronich issue with e90 and a shame that BMW does not recalls it.
I also had oil level sensor twice and the tone wheel in front of the crankshaft got loose causing the position sensor to fail reading engine position. The car stalled at the highway and had to be towed to the delaer. After 30 days in the shop they called me said they had good and bad news.
The good was the car was fixed. The bad was they had my driver door damaged at their shop.
I got the car back two days ago with two doors poorly repainted.
I am very busy at work and did not have an opportunity to realy digest it yet.
I need to calm down and see what it takes to return this car to dealer for a full reinbursement.
What a nightmare!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #341
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ladies Wild

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Hey guys what up, I guess I am not the only one with this tickiling noise coming out of the engine. i took in my car and the day I took it in, it was not making no noise at all, so when the vallet guy brought my car back, luckily it started to make the tapping noise again. the SA told me it was a Hydraulic valve Lifter. they are replacing all of them now. i should have my car back tomorrow. The car has beein in the shop for 2 weeks now. can somebody tell me after they have had there's replaced how the car is running now? any difference in performance acceleration? If you think its the gas that your using or the oil level beeing real low, its not just take it to the dealer and tell them to check the hydraulic valve lifters.
      05-22-2007, 12:35 AM   #342
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Wanna hear something funny? I was at the dealership today getting the fiance to test drive an E91. The salesman pulls it around, and... the dang thing is ticking! Oh well, still went on the test drive (she loved the car and all the extra cargo room of the E91 btw), and by the time we got back, it had stopped ticking. Just thought I'd share.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 06:45 AM   #343
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
BMW has to do a recall on the part, I thought i was the only one with that problem, but from I have read in this thread I am not the only one. I should get back my car today and turn in the 335i twin turbo.
      05-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #344
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Well guys I got my car back this morning. i have attched a copy of the dealer invoice so you can see excatly what they did, all is can say is that God for WARRANTY!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip BMW.zip (45.9 KB, 379 views)
      05-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #345
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
OK, last update.

I got the car back yesterday. Have to say that as nice as the 330xi was, I was still very happy to get back into my E90.

Anyway, though it's still too early to be sure, I am happy that I haven't heard the ticking since I got the car back. Here's the full rundown on what the dealer found on my car.

- Both hydraulic lifters on the exhaust side of cylinder #1 were out of spec. As such, they replaced all 24 hydralulic lifters in the engine. Following are the part #'s for the parts replaced. You can find all of the parts on RealOEM. That will give a very good mental picture of the work done.

(24x) Hydraulic Valve Lifters (push-rods): 11-33-7-548-690
(1x) Set of Aluminium Screws: 11-12-0-392-548
(15x) Torx Bolt: 11-12-7-535-024
(1x) Valve Cover Gasket: 11-12-7-536-785

Bear in mind that this was the work done per the diagnosis for my particular situation, and that it may not apply to everyone with a ticking noise.

In either case, the dealership (Bill Jacobs - Naperville) was great to deal with through the whole process. They took all the appropriate steps to identify the problem (once they actually heard the noise that is), called me every night to give me updates, answered all my questions thoroughly, and kept the entire experience devoid of BS.
I'm going to bring this post in when I go in for my next checkup...

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #346
BMWNA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
Hi folks! I just wanted to let you know that I also had the valve ticking issue in my 2006 325xi since new.
The BMW dealer said it was "normal and should go away with use. I agreed to monitor it and come back later. It did not get better, actually worsened. At 4800 miles took it back to the delaer and had all exhaust lifters replaced.
This is a chronich issue with e90 and a shame that BMW does not recalls it.
I also had oil level sensor twice and the tone wheel in front of the crankshaft got loose causing the position sensor to fail reading engine position. The car stalled at the highway and had to be towed to the delaer. After 30 days in the shop they called me said they had good and bad news.
The good was the car was fixed. The bad was they had my driver door damaged at their shop.
I got the car back two days ago with two doors poorly repainted.
I am very busy at work and did not have an opportunity to realy digest it yet.
I need to calm down and see what it takes to return this car to dealer for a full reinbursement.
What a nightmare!

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
      05-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #347
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
^^ I'm sure that every time you post, you get about a thousand PMs.

If my steering wheel "clunk" eventually drives me crazy and my dealer continues to refuse to consider it a problem, maybe eventually I'll PM you, too. For now, I'll live with it.
      05-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #348
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations View Post
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
heh, so broken engine < bad paintjob?

mostly being sarcastic (I do feel for you Flavio), but is anyone over at the 'Werks going to own up to this issue?

They keep saying a tick is normal, but somehow it ends up costing ~$4500 when this 'normal' tick ends up ruining your camshafts.

If it were up to me, the honest thing to do would be for BMW to offer to inspect the engines of everyone whos had this problem, especially those who've had parts replaced. At least then there might be some more peace of mind for the customers, because lord knows that if your car isn't actively ticking the morning you bring it in to the dealership you're SOL, since the dealership won't do a thing about it.

For instance, my car still ticks occasionally. Infrequently perhaps, but consistently. Every time I bring the car into the dealership they say they cant repeat the problem and hence can't do a thing about it. What scares me is that this tick is slowly wearing out the cams (mine never were replaced - only the lifters), and doing damage to the engine. No way to know unless you inspect the parts... or wait for the engine to fail.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #349
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Went to the dealer for ticking noice issue that started couple weeks ago around 1000 miles on the car.
Obviously the rep confirmed that this is normal for e90 engine and it should get better with time.
One of the mechnics was passing by and adviced to come back if it becomes more often and stays for any-thing longer then 15 minutes.
I know it's a BS, but the car is leased if any-thing happens to the engine it would not be my problem. Will see how it develops.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #350
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

lol, let's use Alex_bm as an experimental control. Don't do anything to the car Alex, and let's see how long before the engine blows up... (/sarcasm)

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #351
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

I probably won't do any-thing about it unless the noise becomes really obtrusive.
The thing is, I really love the car. It's truly a dream came true.
I just wish that such minor issues as ticking noise from the engine or intermittent dash creaks wouldn't be there, so I could 100% enjoy the ride.
When I push my bimmer hard enough, all those minor things are forgiven, but guess nothing in this world is perfect.
Oh well...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #352
Gunslinger
Have Gun, Will Travel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Convertible

I picked my car up two days ago and it was ticking loudly. The salesman told me it is normal for a new car (5 miles) and that it would go away in a couple of miles.

I dropped the car off for delivery back to the US with 45 miles. No ticking, but we'll see how it is when I take delivery in the states.