E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Thinking of upgrading to LOGIC7 Pro

12-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Michael Cassel
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon (Sept '07)

Garage List
Thinking of upgrading to LOGIC7 Pro

Hi all,

I currently have the standard system in the car and and thinking of getting the LOGIC7 (or something silimar) added when I get the USB interface installed next week. I think the standard system is OK but you don't get too much thrills from it. I've heard mixed reviews from different posts but reviews would suggest the LOGIC7 is generally a very good system. I want something that can handle bass but is clear and crisp across all ranges (nothing that resembles a "boy racer" though).

So the LOGIC7 Pro is an option. Can anyone tell me what I'd expect to pay as an aftermarket install?

Also, another option may be the Individual High End Audio system but this seems much more expensive. What does individual mean? What would I expect to pay?

Can anyone recommend either system or other possible options? I know there are mixed feelings when it comes to audio options.

P.S. By the way, from my previous post... I managed to get the CD changer I bought from ebay fitted last week at around a cost of £300. This included the coding, parts and labour. Worked out to about half the cost that the dealer quoted. So I'm pretty chuffed about this.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
matlough
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Saloon

I'm not sure you will be able to get the BMW hi-fi upgrades retrofitted because I believe that the wiring loom is completely different.

You will of course be able to get a system fitted that is very close to the HI-FI upgrade for about £500+ which includes tweeters in the door (by the mirrors).

BTW. How much is the USB option costing you (I didn't think that BMW offered this as an aftermarket option)?
      12-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

You won't be able to upgrade your system to Logic 7 or Individual - it's just going to cost several thousands of pounds to even think about, let alone get the dealer to do for you. It requires complete recoding of the IDrive system as well. Not worth it at all.

You are much better off going for a proper hifi install, which will result in a far better system than the Logic 7.

Have a look at this link for ideas - if you need more help or other alternatives, ask me again.. Whilst the link is for an E91 touring, the setup is exactly the same for the saloon or the coupe

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86780

Incidentally, you don't have to spend £2500. You can still get a very good system for about £1000 (see DKs posts in the same thread for what he's done with his car in Australia)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Michael Cassel
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matlough View Post
I'm not sure you will be able to get the BMW hi-fi upgrades retrofitted because I believe that the wiring loom is completely different.

You will of course be able to get a system fitted that is very close to the HI-FI upgrade for about £500+ which includes tweeters in the door (by the mirrors).

BTW. How much is the USB option costing you (I didn't think that BMW offered this as an aftermarket option)?
The guy who sorts out my cars is a BMW master tech. He fitted the CD changer and saved me bundles on the coding etc. He says there is no problem adding the USB interface and has ordered it for me. I won't have a price until Tuesday. I'll let you know asap.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Michael Cassel
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the advice about the various systems. I'm having a quick look at the link you sent. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
matlough
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cassel View Post
The guy who sorts out my cars is a BMW master tech. He fitted the CD changer and saved me bundles on the coding etc. He says there is no problem adding the USB interface and has ordered it for me. I won't have a price until Tuesday. I'll let you know asap.
Thanks.
      12-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
SnAzBaZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Dealer's quote £300 for retro fit iPod. It's a £205 ? Factory fit extra, so for a Dealer, it's actually not that bad.

Which probably means getting it done at an indy will be a lot cheaper, because the wiring is all there for it as standard ?

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cassel View Post
Hi all,

I currently have the standard system in the car and and thinking of getting the LOGIC7 (or something silimar) added when I get the USB interface installed next week. I think the standard system is OK but you don't get too much thrills from it. I've heard mixed reviews from different posts but reviews would suggest the LOGIC7 is generally a very good system. I want something that can handle bass but is clear and crisp across all ranges (nothing that resembles a "boy racer" though).

So the LOGIC7 Pro is an option. Can anyone tell me what I'd expect to pay as an aftermarket install?

Also, another option may be the Individual High End Audio system but this seems much more expensive. What does individual mean? What would I expect to pay?

Can anyone recommend either system or other possible options? I know there are mixed feelings when it comes to audio options.

P.S. By the way, from my previous post... I managed to get the CD changer I bought from ebay fitted last week at around a cost of £300. This included the coding, parts and labour. Worked out to about half the cost that the dealer quoted. So I'm pretty chuffed about this.

I would be EXTREMELY interested to find out if you really can get the USB interface retro-fitted. Are you sure that you are not talking about the glove box IPOD connector rather than the armrest USB port?

I was led to believe this was impossible.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
SnAzBaZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
I would be EXTREMELY interested to find out if you really can get the USB interface retro-fitted. Are you sure that you are not talking about the glove box IPOD connector rather than the armrest USB port?

I was led to believe this was impossible.
Well, I'm not quoting the most relaible of sources, but I was with a sales guy at a Sytner dealership yesterday, and whilst we were searching for cars I asked if the USB / Audio option was available for retro fit, and he said yes £300, and it's £205 at factory. So I presume he is talking about the 6FL kit, and not anything else.

I also asked about retrofit Xenons and he just laughed

Real OEM does mention an iPod retrofit kit, but I dont know if this is 6FL or something else ?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnAzBaZ View Post
Well, I'm not quoting the most relaible of sources, but I was with a sales guy at a Sytner dealership yesterday, and whilst we were searching for cars I asked if the USB / Audio option was available for retro fit, and he said yes £300, and it's £205 at factory. So I presume he is talking about the 6FL kit, and not anything else.

I also asked about retrofit Xenons and he just laughed

Real OEM does mention an iPod retrofit kit, but I dont know if this is 6FL or something else ?
6fl is the factory fitted USB interface:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=6fl+review

I've tried this and loved it.

However, my understanding is that it can't be retrofitted.

There is also a dealer installed IPOD connector which emulates a cd changer and is located in the glovebox. By contrast with 6FL this is pretty clunky.

It now looks as if there might be a retro-option with USB. It's pretty confused but it does look as if this isn't full functionality as with 6fl, but just the addition of a USB port to the original dealer fit IPOD connector.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ipod+interface
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330d mSport

Apologies to the OP and all for hijacking,but rather than start a new thread..

Could someone tell me if the bog standard stereo will play mp3 CDs ?

(Tried a search but..)
      12-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #12
Michael Cassel
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedhouse View Post
Apologies to the OP and all for hijacking,but rather than start a new thread..

Could someone tell me if the bog standard stereo will play mp3 CDs ?

(Tried a search but..)
The standard system has one CD player, which is also a MP3 player.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 03:03 AM   #13
matlough
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Standard CD will play MP3. Also, if you have a car which DOES NOT have iDrive, the CD will play WMA.
      12-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #14
matlough
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Any updated info on the USB retro fit?
      12-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
+1. I'm very interested too
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #16
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
+1. I'm very interested too
I so want this ... but I am expecting dissapointment
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #17
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

I recently asked my dealer if 6FL could be retrofitted (and I called it 6FL too), and the service guy also said it could be retrofitted by the dealer for £300.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #18
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
I still think they are mixing this up with the Dealer fit option.... Sadly
      12-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #19
Michael Cassel
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi,
Yes it can be done and its the USB interface with full functionality. I went down on Friday to complete the install on my CD changer. The parts guy (in his wisdom) decided not order the complete kit because I didn't have a separate amp. The problem was that the full kit is required as it includes a bracket which means the changer sits perfectly in the new boot compartment. Anyway I had this sorted out yesterday. I didn't get a quote yet because my guy hasn't ordered it (I think he forgot). While I was there he asked a couple of his mates if there have fitted the USB interface to an E90 and had it confirmed that it interface will definitely go under the armrest next to AUX point. I will need to leave it overnight for re-coding to be done, which was also done with my cd changer. He's going to sort it out for me after new year but I'll keep you updated. One thing he did say is that if a normal customer asked for these things to be fitted the dealer will normally put them them off as its supposed to be a real headache to fit and obviously significant cost to customer.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #20
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

The 6FL retrofit can indeed be done, my car was booked in for it until the service people worked out that its not compatible with the SA663 'Professional' (I think) radio. If you've got the right radio you can have it fitted.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 12:43 PM   #21
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Wow Well Done Guys !
      12-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #22
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
The 6FL retrofit can indeed be done, my car was booked in for it until the service people worked out that its not compatible with the SA663 'Professional' (I think) radio. If you've got the right radio you can have it fitted.
From what I have read .. this is not the full 6fl. It's the dealer fit, CD changer, ipod connector with the addition of a USB port.

The USB does not provide the ipod compatability that you get with 6FL.

I really want to believe this ... but I'm not going to until someone actually has it installed.

I must of read a dozen or more posts from people who were going to have this then didn't get it for one reason or another - plus a dozen more from people who had the install then discovered it wasn't the full 6FL interface.

Michael Cassel - please post when you system is up and running and let us know that it's definitely the real thing.
Appreciate 0