E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Charge air temperature sensor

03-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
runnerswim6
Rep
Drives: 335d

Charge air temperature sensor

Well it looks like I'm trading one error code for another as I go chasing codes...
I just took off my intake manifold and cleaned the intake, erg, throttle body, and the swirl flaps... to get rid of swirl flap actuator codes and smoothness regulator error codes on cylinder 4 and 2. Those codes are now gone and I am left with a temperature sensor code, now everything is connected but shoot maybe this shorted...? Is this number 12 here?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...88#11617812274

Error codes 4390 Charge air temperature sensor

Sigh, the effects while driving are around 1700-2000 rpms power quits and jolts forward... lunges on and off... I got rid of charge pressure control error 4530 by removing my jbd. Any thoughts, or ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
sukutash
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, 2020 M2C

Garage List
The actual sensor is #16.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
runnerswim6
Rep

Thanks for the clarity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukutash View Post
The actual sensor is #16.
13627812741 part number thanks Guess I'll order this and see if this helps... $55 part directly from dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 05:42 AM   #4
sukutash
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Find the lowest reputable price you can find on the web and take it to the dealer for a price match.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

greta thinkin sukutash
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #6
CO335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335D

I'd order one of number 18 too while you're at it. I broke my clip removing that sensor, plus it's cheap to replace either way.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
sukutash
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
greta thinkin sukutash
I do this with ALL my parts and has saved me thousands. I worked in the parts dept at multiple dealerships and some parts are marked up hundreds of percent. There is plenty of wiggle/negotiating room, they only want to know that your haven't arbitrarily pulled a number out of thin air.
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
runnerswim6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukutash View Post
I do this with ALL my parts and has saved me thousands. I worked in the parts dept at multiple dealerships and some parts are marked up hundreds of percent. There is plenty of wiggle/negotiating room, they only want to know that your haven't arbitrarily pulled a number out of thin air.
Next time I'll give that a go... lol, The parts "help" likes to play dumb and overheard him say over the phone to another client, "BMW and Mini set the price and just download it into our computer" ... I don't think that's the honest truth Oh well, they got the part in within 24 hours of me requesting it, two other dealers claimed two to four days. I went ahead and picked up a Manifold sensor too... Kind of dunked it a few times in degreaser (gallons of the stuff) before realizing I forgot to pull it...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
runnerswim6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO335D View Post
I'd order one of number 18 too while you're at it. I broke my clip removing that sensor, plus it's cheap to replace either way.
What approach did you go about replacing the Charge Air Temperature Sensor? I'm just going from the top, looking down in the hood, my current wiring "clip" just slid off the old sensor too easy - willy nilly - It looks like the white part on the clip that goes into the sensor isn't doing it's job. Does the sensor just easily pull out of the pipe? tired of breaking things
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
CO335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerswim6 View Post
What approach did you go about replacing the Charge Air Temperature Sensor? I'm just going from the top, looking down in the hood, my current wiring "clip" just slid off the old sensor too easy - willy nilly - It looks like the white part on the clip that goes into the sensor isn't doing it's job. Does the sensor just easily pull out of the pipe? tired of breaking things
Once you get the plug off the sensor and that retaining clip (#18 in the parts diagram) off, the sensor itself actually twists out. I believe you will twist it counterclockwise and then pull out to remove it. You will put it in at a bit of an angle and twist clockwise to lock the new sensor back in place.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #11
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
I had a hard time with the clip that goes onto this temp sensor. Hooper explained to me that the white thing needed to be pulled all the way out and then the clip comes off more easily.

Reading your message tells me you are trying to put clip back with white thing still there. Try to remove white thing without breaking anything and then insert the clip. After this, put white thing back in. That worked for me.

When I read this thread earlier, I was going to suggest you make sure you had a good connection from clip to sensor. It would suck to replace sensor and old one be just fine. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #12
runnerswim6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I had a hard time with the clip that goes onto this temp sensor. Hooper explained to me that the white thing needed to be pulled all the way out and then the clip comes off more easily.

Reading your message tells me you are trying to put clip back with white thing still there. Try to remove white thing without breaking anything and then insert the clip. After this, put white thing back in. That worked for me.

When I read this thread earlier, I was going to suggest you make sure you had a good connection from clip to sensor. It would suck to replace sensor and old one be just fine. Good luck!
Thanks! Perfect advice! Got it out from the top with a little bit of cramming hands around coolant hoses... I noticed my old sensor was pretty oily...

and the throttle body also has a small pool of oil in there too. Oil is right at the max line did a change about 3,000 miles ago. I just got done cleaning out the manifold and swirl flaps. How much oil is expected to be in the charge pipe???

At least I'm getting what I think is normal idle MAF sensor readings, with the charge temp out it was reading 12-14 g/s during idle, now it's around 8.
Before

After new charge pipe temp sensor

Code is gone now! And so is the Check Engine Light.

Just chasing the DSC inactive error 5E5B ... One step at a time!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 03:51 AM   #13
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Thanks! Perfect advice! Got it out from the top with a little bit of cramming hands around coolant hoses... I noticed my old sensor was pretty oily...

and the throttle body also has a small pool of oil in there too. Oil is right at the max line did a change about 3,000 miles ago. I just got done cleaning out the manifold and swirl flaps. How much oil is expected to be in the charge pipe???

At least I'm getting what I think is normal idle MAF sensor readings, with the charge temp out it was reading 12-14 g/s during idle, now it's around 8.
Before

After new charge pipe temp sensor

Code is gone now! And so is the Check Engine Light.

Just chasing the DSC inactive error 5E5B ... One step at a time!
My water/meth sprays before the sensor, hence mine should be spotless or is that wishful thinking?
Appreciate 0