E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > 2011 Le Mans Blue 335i

Closed Thread

09-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3(sold) :(

2011 Le Mans Blue 335i

Recenty I had the pleasure of working on a newer BMW 335i in gorgeous Le Mans Blue. This car is only about 6 months old, but the owner washes it himself either by hand(carefully!) or through touchless washes. As such, the paint was in great shape so after discussing some options with him, we decided a simple one-step polish and protect would be perfect for this car. We were just looking to clean it up and give it some shine. Also, he takes good care of the interior, so this would be exterior only.

One note: the owner opted for a euro delivery of his car, so while he had the awesome experience of driving his new car on the autobahn, I had the nightmarish experience of removing his euro license plate. I don't know what kind of adhesive they used, but it's not too far from welding...:banghead: Luckily, the adhesive came off the car pretty well, but I wanted to remove it from the plate too. I tried soaking in hot water, APC+, Goo Gone, 3M adhesive remover and steam. I couldn't get it completely off.

Process:

Wheels and tires cleaned with Brown Royal wheel cleaner
Wheel wells cleaned with APC+ and Shampoo Plus
Exhaust tips cleaned with APC+, polished with 0000 steel wool and M105, and sealed with DG105
Wheels sealed with DG105
Tires dressed with Opti-Bond 1:1

Washed with DP Rinseless. I got this stuff on a whim, and it's pretty much functionally the same as ONR. Except pink. And smells like bubble gum.
Clayed with Clay Magic blue and ONR for clay lube

Polished with M205/MF cutting pad on GG6

LSP was Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax
DG Aquawax on glass
Optimum Car Wax inside the door jambs

Although no interior work was requested, during the initial consultation I'd seen that there was overspray from 303 Aerospace on the door sills and doors. I forgot to take after pictures, but I wiped it down with Optimum Power Clean so he can start with a clean slate.

There was some 303 overspray on the inside of the windshield too, so that was taken care of. You can see the after pics to follow.

Some before pictures. Didn't take many since the car was in overall good shape.

After pictures

Thanks for looking!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
anuar_e90
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 Stage 2

looks sick!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

Good work, what did you use to clean in the inside of the windshield? I find most products leave a greasy streaky appearance
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Beautifully done! I find Le Mans always looks good, and it just comes to life even more with a proper detail as you did.

Kudos to the owner for taking such good care of it and doing ED.
      09-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuar_e90 View Post
looks sick!!
Thanks! Too bad it's not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
Good work, what did you use to clean in the inside of the windshield? I find most products leave a greasy streaky appearance
Thank you. I used Meguiars D120 Glass Cleaner concentrate, very good and underrated cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Beautifully done! I find Le Mans always looks good, and it just comes to life even more with a proper detail as you did.

Kudos to the owner for taking such good care of it and doing ED.
I love this color! In person, it just looks unreal. Thanks for the kind words.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Cuffss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335xi 6mt M-Sport

looks great. My only gripe with BMW is the amateur orange peel paint job applied. Fixable but shouldn't be an issue to begin with.

JB4 Stage 2 | AR 4" DP | Injen CAI | Eibachs
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffss View Post
looks great. My only gripe with BMW is the amateur orange peel paint job applied. Fixable but shouldn't be an issue to begin with.
Thanks man. And at least we're not alone...MB, Audi, VW, Ferrari, etc. all have orange peel at least as bad as Bimmers! It's a sad fact of life for OEM paint these days.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread