E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Extended warranty - worth it? Here's the price...

01-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #23
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Again, I separate theory from practice. Without knowing all the details, my hunch is that there isn't an extended warranty that is priced such that it is to the advantage of the vehicle owner. But I've seen people say, "I've had 3 runflats replaced on my protection package." Sweet! I can't explain that, I mean my package was $390. 3 flats would mean at least a $600 savings to me. But in the last 10 years on the road with the Nissan, I've never had a flat tire that needed replacement ($7 patch), and never had a mechanical breakdown. Furthermore, nary an insurance claim. But as someone pointed out, I am out there on the roads with people who are at high risk, and so the insurance co. has calculated how many people like myself they would need to cover the entire risk pool, and they have measures to annihilate i.e. cancel policies of people who are too risky or draw too much from the pool of funds.

I think the mistake we often make as humans and consumers is we ask ourselves, "Are we in good hands?" And we are quick to run to those hands who swipe our credit cards to offer us that comfort and security of being "protected." Insurance is not a win-win. One side always wins. But the insurer has an easy button so that when they start to lose, they eliminate the insured from the pool once and for all by pushing their easy cancel button.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #24
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
Given that the 335 N54 engine contains new technology and it is more complex than a NA engine, I'd recommend an extended warranty from a carefully chosen company to anyone keeping it past factory warranty.
If you ever watch the top on an E93 go up and down you will conclude that you would never want to own own that was not covered under warranty.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #25
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

this is correct. BMW is not in the business of insurance or re-insurance. They are just a retail shop selling these "products" to their customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post

The dealer "buys" these warranties from third party insurers.
So the dealers, in their ever interest to rip the consumer off, usually tries to charge you twice what they are being charged for the service, just to SELL it to you.

Good luck.
      09-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #26
xquizitdjx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
I bought a warranty from AAA Autoguard of AAA of NY (even though I live in GA). It was about $3K but has lots less exclusions than the factory extended warranty (e.g. covers the hard top origami for e93 owners and "luxury electronics" meaning iDrive, navigation, bluetooth, etc). It's also $0 deductible, 7/100K and transferable should I sell the car. It's more expensive but seems in the long run to be a better deal.
Have you had to make any claims and if so any issues?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #27
xquizitdjx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by getInline View Post
well I paid $2700 for the extended warranty of my 2002 c32 AMG and to date I estimate that I've had close to $14,000CAD in repairs covered under the extended warranty (tranny fluid pump, alternator, water pump, belt tensioner, supercharger + supercharger clutch). Doesn't say much for the car but the MB service has been excellent and hassle free.
I had over 22k in extended warranty repairs to my 2002 C32 in the first 75,000 miles. I think its common for that year AMG. The crazy part is that the company ( Royal Administrators ) paid everything with no issues. I looked them up online now and everyone review I seen was saying that they are a scamming company and not to buy from them. So now I am in search of a trust worthy after market warranty since I put lots of miles on a car and the 335i I just got has 50k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #28
STONEY_M5
MAAD HEAD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M 2013 M5

Garage List
13 F10 M5  [0.00]
2010 X5M  [0.00]
07 335i  [9.26]
Any luck with the warranty company??? Looking for a good one....
      03-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #29
lonewolf
Old Timer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i XDrive

My first post on this site. This forum is full of great info. I have been reading through it like a stack of law books. Nothing is better than dealing with experience. I hope to be able to offer up some help myself one day.

So as a newb I guess I'll ask my first question:

Does anyone know exactly which warrenty company AAA of NY deals with or do they actually have thier own?
Since the BMW extended warrenty ends on Dec of 2012, I am looking to get an extended warrenty for my 09 328i XDrive with full NAV options.

Soes anyone know if these companies warrenty run flats also?
Thanks Much
Appreciate 0