E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Do you ever get caught out by "less powerful" cars?

03-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325d LCI

Do you ever get caught out by "less powerful" cars?

Hi all, just a question I thought I'd throw round as I find it happening to myself sometimes. A few examples from me driving a standard auto LCI 325d:

A 2005ish Peugeot 207/206 hdi can't remember the exact model now but something that shouldn't have got close, flies past on the motorway and then we get to lights. He floors it on green and I follow. He doesn't get away but I can't close any ground either. Even mapped the car can't have been more than 140bhp

Another. My friend has a 2007 Passat 2.0 tdi, not sure if these are 140 or 170bhp? But both of us in 3rd accelerating onto the motorway and again he's not pulling away but I'm not closing ground!

Both of these occasions I may have had the drum kit in the back, adding probably about 80-100kg so that probably doesn't help me but still.

Then to counter this there are plenty of focus ST's and golf GTD's around here that try their luck but can't get away and I stick with them.

Anyone else notice this kind of thing? Sometimes I even wonder if my cars down on power.

So if you have any examples please share along with what you're driving
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
Silver Streek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

A 206 hdi thats been mapped will give you a run for your money as it weighs nothing compared to your E90. I have an E91 325d and before i had it mapped was caught out by a few "normal" cars. The unmapped 325d's aren't that quick, they are lovely and smooth but dont have much more torque or hp than a 320d.

However after a map they are a different animal, and will see off these little hdi's lol.

Saying that though i had a skoda fabia vrs scream past me on the motorway last year. No way i could have kept up unless we went silly speeds where my higher top end would have caught him up. It was a diesel so obviously mapped, plus had a different exhaust, no idea what else.

You never inow what the other car really has under the bonnet, they could have had any amount of tuning done to them. Mapping is so popular these days.

I often have a bit of fun (friendly) with a couple of newish fiesta ST's on the commute home from work. They try to keep up but cant. Again if one gets mapped it will probably be the other way round.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
nomiS330d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d MANual & Quaiffed

Iíve noticed this too. At work weíve got a 4 or 5 year old Audi. I havenít taken much notice of it but do know itís a diesel A1. It really does surprise me how well it pulls, not up there with my mapped 330d but not that far off.
Then the other night I had a quick blast against a nearly new golf R and stayed with him!
The other week on the same bit of road somebody in a pretty hot car (for the life of me I canít remember what it was) tried to get away from me between 2 roundabouts but failed 😂
As we got to the roundabout he was in the right lane to turn right but had to stop. I wondered what he must have thought as I went past when he saw a knackered old diesel had kept him honest 😂
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
reeceu8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325D M Sport

Couple a weeks a go I was up against a focus st or an rs at the lights. Completely flew past him, I could see him in the rear mirror he looked so pissed off but surprised. From zero these motors are pretty nippy

LCI 325D
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 02:20 AM   #5
rasa bmw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335d coupe e90 saloon 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
A 206 hdi thats been mapped will give you a run for your money as it weighs nothing compared to your E90. I have an E91 325d and before i had it mapped was caught out by a few "normal" cars. The unmapped 325d's aren't that quick, they are lovely and smooth but dont have much more torque or hp than a 320d.

However after a map they are a different animal, and will see off these little hdi's lol.

Saying that though i had a skoda fabia vrs scream past me on the motorway last year. No way i could have kept up unless we went silly speeds where my higher top end would have caught him up. It was a diesel so obviously mapped, plus had a different exhaust, no idea what else.

You never inow what the other car really has under the bonnet, they could have had any amount of tuning done to them. Mapping is so popular these days.

I often have a bit of fun (friendly) with a couple of newish fiesta ST's on the commute home from work. They try to keep up but cant. Again if one gets mapped it will probably be the other way round.
lad on facebook forum has a 350 bhp skoda fabia derv,,,so it would eat any 325d/330d/335d,,he aslso has bmw now
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 03:42 AM   #6
Tambohamilton
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
A mate of mine had a fiesta 'st' for a while. Great little car; had that go-kart feel of the old 205s etc.... Anyhow, it had an st badge on the back and I think bigger wheels and a slight bit of body kit and maybe tweaked suspension, but other than that it was a 100hp econo-box. Don't get me wrong, 100hp goes well in a little, light car, but it really was nothing to write home about in a straight line. I'm pretty sure it even had drum brakes on the rear! There are surely also st line variants which have a lump more power in stock trim too?
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 04:06 AM   #7
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Forgot to add mine is also an e91 and with a sunroof for a little extra weight! Is yours lci? I have been pondering a map for a while now but still haven't took the plunge, what power did you gain?

The ST's that I have messed around with tend to be older maybe similar year to mine so 2010-2014 or so I think those are similar in power to the 330d but obviously lesser on torque, we tend to be neck and neck but I imagine they'd get away given enough road!

I tried my luck with a focus RS I was following on a slip road. It was embarrassing to say the least he just drove off as if I was out for a Sunday drive haha I googled the specs once I got to work and from memory that particular one was 350bhp or there about so that explained the smacking I got
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 04:14 AM   #8
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeceu8 View Post
Couple a weeks a go I was up against a focus st or an rs at the lights. Completely flew past him, I could see him in the rear mirror he looked so pissed off but surprised. From zero these motors are pretty nippy

LCI 325D
They are decent from a stop, although I do feel myself expecting a bit more pinned in the seat torque. I know someone with an old 530d (must be a 1998 one or something) it's a little less on power and torque than the 325d lci but that gives you a huge feeling of seat pinning acceleration in second gear. I'm not sure if it's cause I'm always the passenger in that or the newer cars are so much more refined and smooth that the power gets disguised a bit, paired with the auto box especially!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
Silver Streek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuLUKEkul View Post
Forgot to add mine is also an e91 and with a sunroof for a little extra weight! Is yours lci? I have been pondering a map for a while now but still haven't took the plunge, what power did you gain?
Mine is an LCI, its a 59 plate so still has the M57 engine, it just missed out on the N57 upgrade. Pretty much same power output as the N57 but wont map the same without an injector upgrade. I did the superchips Bluefin map, which you can add and remove at your leisure with a handheld unit plugged into to OBD11 port. It gives you around 250bhp and 520nm of torque, so slightly more power and torque than a similar vintage 330d. A live map on a rolling road would give more power, but the superchips map is fine for now. Car is so much better to drive with loads more power and torque.

I like the fact i can add and remove the superchips map whenever i want to.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
No never!! I always seem to catch out the quicker cars!!
Appreciate 1