E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > PaddleShift rewire? possible?

02-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
bimmerguy2006
BMW Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

PaddleShift rewire? possible?

Wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to rewire the paddles on the steptronic steering wheel to have one side shift up and one side shift down, more like the smg? (also disengage the push functionality)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
I would like to know as well. Someone here said that each pedal has 3 wires, one for ground and the other 2 are for up/down shift. Im guessing it's possible.

-Amir
      02-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]

Anyone know?
      02-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...addle+retrofit

try doing a search...

looks like something is coming out soon but right now there is nothing.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy2006 View Post
Wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to rewire the paddles on the steptronic steering wheel to have one side shift up and one side shift down, more like the smg? (also disengage the push functionality)
Yes, "Mite46" did it:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=63211
http://e46.mit.edu/
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
^^that's sick!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy2006 View Post
As Amir describes, yes you can . Each paddle is a 1 pole / 2 throw momentary switch and has 3 wires. One wire is a common. One is "+" for upshifts and the other wire is "-" for downshifts.

I'm not too keen with using my thumbs on top of the wheel to shift gears (awkward) and thus prefer using them like proper paddles using my fingers behind the steering wheel. Left hand paddle to Downshift. Right hand paddle to Upshift.
With this intent, there are three ways you can modify your paddle setup. For use with finger sqeezing behind the steering wheel, all the mods described below work the same way (left paddle-downshifts, right paddle-upshifts) with only the thumb press arrangement changing.
I hope I'm not confusing anyone ???

(FACTORY DEFAULT)

LEFT PADDLE - Thumb press - downshifts. / Fingers squeeze - upshifts.

RIGHT PADDLE - Thumb press - downshifts. / Fingers squeeze - upshifts.

So with this in mind :-

(MOD 1)

LEFT PADDLE - Thumb press - downshifts. / Fingers squeeze - downshifts.

RIGHT PADDLE - Thumb press - upshifts. / Fingers squeeze - upshifts.

or

(MOD 2) Lose the Thumb press functionality.

LEFT PADDLE - Thumb press - no function. / Finger squeeze - downshifts.

RIGHT PADDLE - Thumb press - no function. / Finger squeeze - upshifts.

or

(MOD 3) Simpler mod, since you only need to modify the left paddle wiring.

LEFT PADDLE - Thumb press - upshifts. / Fingers squeeze - downshifts.

RIGHT PADDLE - Thumb press - downshifts. / Fingers squeeze - upshifts.

I'm going to modify my paddles using "MOD 3" . This way I can still shift up or down one handed on one side of the wheel as per factory or shift paddle style using both sides for serious punting. Should be a very quick and easy mod since I only need to reverse two of the wires (+/-) on the left paddle and leave the common where it is !

Last edited by Sparky66; 03-20-2008 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Paddle Shifters Rewired

I rewired my paddle shifters last night for left side downshift only and right side upshift only. I never liked the factory setup and find the change to be more intuitive.

The functionality is pretty much as described by Sparky66 but I would contend that with 3 wires the paddles are single-pole double-throw switches. Here are the default pin functions for each shifter's connector. The connectors have a small keyed tab shown below as a reference and they plug into the left and right button modules for the radio, phone etc.

Left Paddle Connector
_______
3-------|<--downshift (press)
2-------|<--ground
1-------|<--upshift (squeeze)
_______|
____|

Right Paddle Connector
____
____|___
1-------|<--downshift (press)
2-------|<--ground
3-------|<--upshift (squeeze)
_______|

The pin functions only change because the left connector plugs in with the tab down and the right with the tab up.

For both paddles I removed the pin 1 wire from the connector and cut and spliced this wire into pin 3. Now a left paddle squeeze/press only downshifts and a right paddle squeeze/press only upshifts. As Sparky66 said, other variations are easily obtained by switching or removing wires. I was hoping to avoid cutting any wires but elected to cut and splice with solder and heat shrink tubing. I saved the extra wire and pin sections in case I ever reverse the mod.

Last edited by kentgbr; 03-01-2008 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
bigpapapablo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

kentgbr,

i have a question for you cause you have a 335i. i have a 335i without paddle shifters (did not order sport package). i haven't had the chance to take apart my steering wheel but did you happen to notice how the paddles connect to the rest of the wheel....is wiring already in place? i want to know what i should look for to see if i can simply buy a new wheel with paddles to install on my car.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentgbr View Post
I rewired my paddle shifters last night for left side downshift only and right side upshift only. I never liked the factory setup and find the change to be more intuitive.

The functionality is pretty much as described by Sparky66 but I would contend that with 3 wires the paddles are single-pole double-throw switches. Here are the default pin functions for each shifter's connector. The connectors have a small keyed tab shown below as a reference and they plug into the left and right button modules for the radio, phone etc.

Left Paddle Connector
____
____|___
1-------|<--upshift (squeeze)
2-------|<--ground
3-------|<--downshift (press)
_______|

Right Paddle Connector
____
____|___
1-------|<--downshift (press)
2-------|<--ground
3-------|<--upshift (squeeze)
_______|

The pin functions only change because the left connector plugs in with the tab up and the right with the tab down.

For both paddles I removed the pin 1 wire from the connector and cut and spliced this wire into pin 3. Now a left paddle squeeze/press only downshifts and a right paddle squeeze/press only upshifts. As Sparky66 said, other variations are easily obtained by switching or removing wires. I was hoping to avoid cutting any wires but elected to cut and splice with solder and heat shrink tubing. I saved the extra wire and pin sections in case I ever reverse the mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
kentgbr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
kentgbr,

i have a question for you cause you have a 335i. i have a 335i without paddle shifters (did not order sport package). i haven't had the chance to take apart my steering wheel but did you happen to notice how the paddles connect to the rest of the wheel....is wiring already in place? i want to know what i should look for to see if i can simply buy a new wheel with paddles to install on my car.

thanks
I don't know if the systems are pre-wired for paddles. An easy way to check would be to get the airbag off and look behind the multi-functional steering wheel controls for the radio etc. On my car with paddles there is an obvious lump for a female 3-pin connector, on the back of the left and right control switches, that accepts the male paddle connector. The pic below shows the paddle connector pluged into the left switch unit. Good luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
kentgbr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Go into the wheel to get at the paddle shifter connectors where they plug into the left and right radio/phone buttons. Take the required precautions with the air bag module removal.

Pull the connectors and do the following:

Left Connector
1) Remove the wire and pin that go to pin 3 and tape off the exposed pin (disables push function)
2) Remove the wire and pin that go to pin 1 and install it in the pin 3 location (converts pull function to downshift)

Right Connector
1) Remove the wire and pin that goes to pin 1 and tape off the exposed pin (disables push function)

The pin numbers are small but marked on the connectors. Pin 1 is always next to the small key tab that prevents installing them wrong. The pins can be pulled from the connectors by opening a small plastic hinge and pressing the top of the exposed pin which has an angled tab to prevent wire pullout. No wire cutting or splicing is required for the functions you described. Good luck.

Last edited by kentgbr; 03-02-2008 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
irq5
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, M-Sport, 8AT

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Just letting you all know I completed the rewire over the weekend. The most difficult part was getting the airbag off... But once it was off the rest went really smooth.

Thanks Sparkv66 for the details on wiring. I ended up going with option 3 - wanted to limit the amount of soldering I needed to do inside my car And also didn't want any loose ends lying around, so I just rewired the left paddle to switch the thumb press and squeeze functions.

It's such a small thing but it feels so much more natural downshifting with the left paddle and upshifting with the right...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 07:49 AM   #13
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irq5 View Post
Just letting you all know I completed the rewire over the weekend. The most difficult part was getting the airbag off... But once it was off the rest went really smooth.

Thanks Sparkv66 for the details on wiring. I ended up going with option 3 - wanted to limit the amount of soldering I needed to do inside my car And also didn't want any loose ends lying around, so I just rewired the left paddle to switch the thumb press and squeeze functions.

It's such a small thing but it feels so much more natural downshifting with the left paddle and upshifting with the right...
Yeah, I did option 3 I explained in my post above. All done in 5 minutes.
No soldering is required. All that needs to be done is to unplug the 3 wire terminal block to the left paddle. Using a small screwdriver, pull the two outside wires and swap them with each other.................done.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #14
irq5
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, M-Sport, 8AT

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
Yeah, I did option 3 I explained in my post above. All done in 5 minutes.
No soldering is required. All that needs to be done is to unplug the 3 wire terminal block to the left paddle. Using a small screwdriver, pull the two outside wires and swap them with each other.................done.
I was planning to do that but I didn't have a torqx set to remove the trim on the wheel and I couldn't quite get in behind the trim to get the plug out, so I went with the option of cutting and soldering wires...

Either way - it's all done and I'm happy!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
josbmw
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F11 530d - F07 520d

Nice and easy mod, did mine today (MOD 3).

No need to cut the wires. To get the plug out just pull at the wires.
Don't forget to open the small hinge on the thinnest part of the connector. If you don't open it, it's very difficult to get the pins out.

Jos

Quote:
Originally Posted by irq5 View Post
I was planning to do that but I didn't have a torqx set to remove the trim on the wheel and I couldn't quite get in behind the trim to get the plug out, so I went with the option of cutting and soldering wires...

Either way - it's all done and I'm happy!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #16
FIRESTARTER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I am having a hard time getting the airbag off to do this mod for my 09 LCI, Any tips or tricks please.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 03:54 AM   #17
pagaia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d E91

Hi, please help me ,i have buy paddleshift for e91 320d ,I have installed but not working.
Steerin g connection is the same of kentgbr photo.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #18
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Here, read this thread, I retrofitted the paddleshifters & wheel to my 330D.

Loads of pics etc.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=paddleshift
      01-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #19
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

This is great. I want to do Mod 3 but I do not see directions on how to get to the shifters to change the wiring ..... Any help there?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 12:37 AM   #20
shoes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BSM E92 335i

Wow can't believe I didn't find this thread sooner...

I never bothered with the paddle shifters until I did this little mod.
I'm in love with them now!

I used part of this guide to help me get to the wires:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=paddle

btw, don't be afraid to pull the wires to get the sub-connector out, they're in there pretty good.
      02-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #21
victorau
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 AW 335i xDrive

Worked like a charm! If you're attempting this the plug from the paddle shifter is really hard to pull out so I used a paper towel and pliers to yank it out, after that it was cake. That took me the longest. Thanks for the help guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #22
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep

Glad people are seeing how easy it is to convert the paddles for downshifting with the left paddle and upshifting with the right.............the way it should have been done by BMW.

What I don't understand is..... why are people going to the trouble of popping out the airbag and then for the sake of undoing 3 screws using a torx screw bit , they are not removing the steering wheel cover to get proper access to the paddle shift connectors.

I did this mod because I never use the thumb press to change gear, as it doesn't feel natural to me but I didn't want to lose it's factory functionality. Hence why the thumb presses are still available.
I used Mod 3 because of it's simplicity and modification is kept to a minimum.
Appreciate 0