E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > e92 upgraded base stereo - what next?

09-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
e92 upgraded base stereo - what next?

I would like to ask for an advice which way to go...
Car - e92 preLCI that had "base stereo + Business HU"
Now it has - LCI Professional HU w USB/BT, added tweeters+door speakers Eton 100, replaced under-seats subs to 8´´ f30 units...

I have some leftovers from other projects:
a) Audiotec Fischer MATCH PP41 (Bmw specific 4ch amp w P/P harness, 4x35W at 4Ohms),
+ PP 1SUB unit (1x160W at 2Ohms) with bass remote regulation etc,
+ SWS-8 2Ohms subs (almost new)

b) Eton 4x100W at 4Ohms (it has high inputs and compact size, D-class), 60A fuse holder + cables...
+ SWS-8 2Ohms subs (almost new)
+ JL 12´´ in a sealed box (fits to the e92 trunk)

Should I go route
a) I have tried it already and I ran into an issue with too high volume of PDC/gong playing through the speakers (I had later re-coded the car to get rid-off this, now it beeps via gong only)... besides this it sound nice (loud, clear) but I could not find a place for the 1SUB unit (I have to leave the sub plugs out and connect the SUB unit directly to subs - SWS-8 will be fine with this level of power? or should I keep those oem f30 paper "subs"?)...

b) sell the MATCH unit and run the cabling into trunk to mount there proper size amp (4x100W) and connect it via hi-input directly to Eton amp (or should I get a hi-low converter? or to re-code to the HiFi option the HU?)
Run the doors+tweeters on front, rear channels to SWS-8?
Get an additional 2 channel or mono to run the 12´´ in trunk (do I really needed it? I just want a decent sound, I don´t need to smash the windows)...

Thx for all inputs (apart from reading ctuna´s links which I went through and I can not decide on this above)... but thanks anyway :-)

Last edited by streetpro; 10-31-2019 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:20 AM   #2
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
I have listen to it yesterday and it is a pure muddy sound as the HU runs the front speakers full range (my Eton speakers do not have the cap-filter to filter the low freqs):-)
With the main Match DSP unit hooked on it was way much better (crisp, defined), I guess I will give it another try, this time with the SUB unit (I hope to stuck it under dash where normally central speaker sits, or to the driver side, passenger side is pretty full).
      09-30-2019, 03:41 AM   #3
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
So I took it apart and discovered that far more easy way would be to locate the amp at the driver side next to the steering column as there is a space. No chance to squeeze it under/instead the central dash speaker (maybe with some other stuff removed).
I am doing the a) variant with the DSP amp. If it sucks, I have to do the full install.
      09-30-2019, 05:03 AM   #4
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetpro View Post
I have listen to it yesterday and it is a pure muddy sound as the HU runs the front speakers full range (my Eton speakers do not have the cap-filter to filter the low freqs):-)
I had similar thing, added tweeters to base stereo system, even though tweeters come with capacitors they still make bass sound (squawking), I think its because HU distorts the signal and not sure if there is a way around it, changing capacitor did not help. I decided to go logic7 way.
Other than that base system sounded okish at low volume, but when you increase it its crap.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Upgrading the Base System with just Speakers
only provides placebo effect.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:48 AM   #6
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
Main DSP fit above the tray/behind the light switch, using zip ties to the dash support frame/tubing... SUB unit went down left next to the A-pillar, zipped to the unused clutch pivot point. Even with subs not hooked for now (I have to make the wiring loom) it sounds so much better, door speakers started playing a lot...
      10-07-2019, 02:32 AM   #7
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
Update - I´ve finished the install including the Helix 1SUB module connected to 2Ohms SWS-8 in oem enclosures (I have used deadening material to seal them properly), run the wires towards driver underside panel, dismantle the passenger side door-board to discover what was rattling occasionally on highway... and finding a loose tweeter connection within the in-line crossover :-)
To sum it up - it sounds really crisp clean, the stage has depth, bass is strong (nice ability to regulate amount via knob) and I am happy overall. It does not push your eyeballs out but you can feel the bass through the seat...
      10-28-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
m3less
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 AY M4

Nice write and updates. I’m gonna pm you some questions I have
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #9
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
-update>
When you have a gut feeling that it won't hold... it does not indeed...
My bright idea to fill the gap between enclosure and speaker by hifi damping reinforced plate was wrong and I will have to do it properly - cut out ring from plywood and seal it...
No bass at all, speakers are moving freely with no back-pressure :-/
      12-16-2019, 02:59 AM   #10
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
So, Eton 4x100 did the trick along with proper bedding/sealing of the woofers... holy cows it hits hard that the plastic door sills become semi-airborne :-)
Attached Images

Last edited by streetpro; 12-18-2019 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: pic upload
Appreciate 0