E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335i limp mode party at the track

05-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #991
DieselDrink
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp in HS

mrvedit, thanks for your response.

I do have the Carly app on my iPhone, that's what you are referring to right? So I'll use that to scan for codes rather than another generic OBD app? Just wanting to be clear that is what you are referring to.

My DashCommand app shows coolant at 225F or 105C, so that's normal right?

So it really is oil them and coolant temp as you refer to, cool the engine bay.

Lastly, what does BMS's oil thermostat mod do, does that actually help keep your oil temp down? how?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #992
mrvedit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Yes, the Carly app will show more detailed info than a generic ODB scanner/app.

I have all the parts to install oil pressure and coolant temperature via gauges in place of the ashtray, but have not yet installed them.
Therefore I don't know what normal coolant temp is, or what value put the engine into limp mode.

I ordered the Burger Tuning oil thermostat mod, but also never installed it because my replacement engine is running much cooler than the hot-running one which finally threw a rod. The mod works by running the oil through the cooler at all times. Therefore when you start the track session the oil might be 80F cooler than when you star; and start cooling right away instead of waiting until 210F or so is reached.
2006 Corvette (streetable track car)
1986 535i "24 Hours of Lemons" also streetable
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #993
DieselDrink
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Got it. Thanks again. So I did scan with the iCarly app after the car threw the engine light again. I'm getting Engine module code:
Fault: Charge pressure control, plausibility: Pressure too low
- Code: 002C57

Does anybody think this is boost related? Could be charge pipe connection going? I inspected charge pipe but can't tell if the connection is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #994
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrink View Post
Got it. Thanks again. So I did scan with the iCarly app after the car threw the engine light again. I'm getting Engine module code:
Fault: Charge pressure control, plausibility: Pressure too low
- Code: 002C57

Does anybody think this is boost related? Could be charge pipe connection going? I inspected charge pipe but can't tell if the connection is leaking.
I assume is n55, if yes, look into the electropneumatic pressure converter in wastegate valve. If defective will be getting stock open and cause the above fault code.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #995
DieselDrink
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I assume is n55, if yes, look into the electropneumatic pressure converter in wastegate valve. If defective will be getting stock open and cause the above fault code.
Thx Feuer! Will do.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #996
DieselDrink
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrink View Post
Thx Feuer! Will do.
So update: On my N55, which still has full extended warranty, BMW replaced the pressure converter as mentioned by Feuer, off the waste gate valve. They tested turbo and its responds to test, fully moving waste gate.

I suspect these parts as an old mechanic once said it, they get "lazy" after a while. They may still work, and not throwing code all the time, but not fully functioning all the time. BMW said they didn't really know if it was that part or not, but seen it before, so they threw a new one on.

Response is really good now. Ready for Track day in June, 1st time. Hope it goes well.

Looking to do Dinan Stage 2 tune next, but likely wait until my warranty comes fully due.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #997
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

to those of you looking to invest into an oil cooler, trying removing your plastic engine cover.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #998
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
to those of you looking to invest into an oil cooler, trying removing your plastic engine cover.
What is that going to do?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #999
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What is that going to do?
lowers oil temps by 10c/50f.
the plastic cover is a heat trap.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #1000
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
lowers oil temps by 10c/50f.
the plastic cover is a heat trap.
Have someone measure this? I haven't come across any threads on this claim.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #1001
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have someone measure this? I haven't come across any threads on this claim.
well, I've done it myself lol. I compared temp differences under a variety of driving conditions with and without my engine cover. temps were as followed:

(WITHOUT/WITH COVER)
highway- 100c vs 110c
city- 110c vs 120c+ (would creep into 125c)
on average, easy 40-60f difference for me. average of about 50f.

I basically got temps exactly to where they should be. I was concerned due to my temperatures sitting at 120c quite often in the summer (track temps in the city!)
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      10-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #1002
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

I found alot of good information in this thread, and just wanted to mention that if anyone is interested in a ppkv2 type of kit, I have a feeler out here. Personally I believe the quickest way to achieve better track temps is keeping the stock radiator and oil cooler, and then adding a large auxiliary radiator. I have had dual oil coolers myself, and ended up downgrading the second oil cooler to make space for a larger aux radiator instead. As others have said, coolant cooling is really the main bottleneck on track. It also makes sense when you compare the total radiator size of the S55 against the N54. Finally it is also somewhat important to keep the AC off.
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      12-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #1003
Bush Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i Coupe, 04 BMW 325i

The FAQ in the beginning of this thread to refer to a table below that shows the various oil coolers available and how they're performing. I can't find that.

I tracked my car a few weeks ago at Arroyo Seco Raceway in NM. I made myself car sick after a few laps so didn't get to the limp mode situation.

I suspect that there is an agreed upon, proven mod the N54 that will allow it to be tracked but I'm not able to get the "conclusion" out of this thread.

Last edited by Bush Pilot; 12-21-2021 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 10:46 PM   #1004
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pilot View Post
The FAQ in the beginning of this thread to refer to a table below that shows the various oil coolers available and how they're performing. I can't find that.

I tracked my car a few weeks ago at Arroyo Seco Raceway in NM. I made myself car sick after a few laps so didn't get to the limp mode situation.

I suspect that there is an agreed upon, proven mod the N54 that will allow it to be tracked but I'm not able to get the "conclusion" out of this thread.
As beginner your make a lot of mistake and to compensate you are on the accelerator more instead of carrying speed. This will cause your engine to run lot hotter. I have been tracking my n54 335i for a decade and don’t have overheating issues. Oil starvation yes. Last year I started tracking another 335i n54st and isn’t overheating either. So pause building your car. Instead learn how to drive it better , smother and faster.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 01:01 PM   #1005
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pilot View Post

As beginner your make a lot of mistake and to compensate you are on the accelerator more instead of carrying speed. This will cause your engine to run lot hotter. I have been tracking my n54 335i for a decade and don’t have overheating issues. Oil starvation yes. Last year I started tracking another 335i n54st and isn’t overheating either. So pause building your car. Instead learn how to drive it better , smother and faster.
You are tracking your N54 at 4,300ft altitude? Bcs. there is HUGE difference in cooling environment between low and high altitude. Come to HPR and track N54 with no cooling modifications at 5,000ft and trust me, I will outrun you using my Adidas shoes.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #1006
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
You are tracking your N54 at 4,300ft altitude? Bcs. there is HUGE difference in cooling environment between low and high altitude. Come to HPR and track N54 with no cooling modifications at 5,000ft and trust me, I will outrun you using my Adidas shoes.
I get that, boiling temps drop higher up you go. Anyhow, absolutely unrelated to my post.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 02:19 PM   #1007
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I get that, boiling temps drop higher up you go. Anyhow, absolutely unrelated to my post.
Nope. Your heat exchange drops with higher altitude due to lower air density. Nothing to do with boiling point. Your system is under pressure. Everything to do with your post.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #1008
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope. Your heat exchange drops with higher altitude due to lower air density. Nothing to do with boiling point. Your system is under pressure. Everything to do with your post.
My post was about track seat time. To learn how to drive first. Not about altitude. I wasn’t referring to the closed cooling system of the vehicle either. My understanding is that more water in the air makes the air less dance. I linked that water needing less to evaporate in high altitude. Anyhow, I don’t see it how you attached that to my post. Please explain.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #1009
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My post was about track seat time. To learn how to drive first. Not about altitude. I wasn't referring to the closed cooling system of the vehicle either. My understanding is that more water in the air makes the air less dance. I linked that water needing less to evaporate in high altitude. Anyhow, I don't see it how you attached that to my post. Please explain.
Because he has cooling issues. Just because you don't doesn't mean he doesn't. Doesn't mean he doesn't know how to drive. Everyone has cooling issues at 4,300ft on stock cooling set up with N54. Everyone! If you think you can swoop through corner at that altitude and prevent limp mode, you are dead wrong. Your radiators are missing some 20-25% of efficiency at that altitude. I have seen N54's with upgraded coolers limping at HPR. There are no tricks here with cooling. Yes we all running 10/90% concentrate/distilled water, yes we mostly run heat at max, but you still need beefed up system from stock. I personally run 335 oil cooler on N52. That heat exchanger some N52's have (X3, X5, European models) is not sufficient here although at low altitude in TX, FL people run it with no problems. Same is with N54. People running in TX come here just to find out altitude is a real bitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 04:01 PM   #1010
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because he has cooling issues. Just because you don't doesn't mean he doesn't. Doesn't mean he doesn't know how to drive. Everyone has cooling issues at 4,300ft on stock cooling set up with N54. Everyone! If you think you can swoop through corner at that altitude and prevent limp mode, you are dead wrong. Your radiators are missing some 20-25% of efficiency at that altitude. I have seen N54's with upgraded coolers limping at HPR. There are no tricks here with cooling. Yes we all running 10/90% concentrate/distilled water, yes we mostly run heat at max, but you still need beefed up system from stock. I personally run 335 oil cooler on N52. That heat exchanger some N52's have (X3, X5, European models) is not sufficient here although at low altitude in TX, FL people run it with no problems. Same is with N54. People running in TX come here just to find out altitude is a real bitch.
From what was written in post 1003 I gathered that person is inexperienced. They got car sick, had to stop and didn’t experience limp mode. I didn’t connect getting car sick due to altitude. I have had people get sick with me the car at pretty much sea level altitude because they don’t have track experience. Since person was looking for answers on what to do regarding overheating I reply with better get some seat time first. Basically you and me read the thread differently. Had I known that they have experience and are tracking at 5000 altitude I would go with your reply too.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 04:34 PM   #1011
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
From what was written in post 1003 I gathered that person is inexperienced. They got car sick, had to stop and didn’t experience limp mode. I didn’t connect getting car sick due to altitude. I have had people get sick with me the car at pretty much sea level altitude because they don’t have track experience. Since person was looking for answers on what to do regarding overheating I reply with better get some seat time first. Basically you and me read the thread differently. Had I known that they have experience and are tracking at 5000 altitude I would go with your reply too.
I just want to be clear that this is serious performance issue at altitude that cannot be remedied by more seat time. I get what you trying to say. But, that won't work there, not to mention heat+altitude in summer (his track is close to I10 in NM). That doesn't mean he shouldn't get more seat time, I mean that is all point of track.
Imperative here is to beef up cooling system so that he doesn't destroy his engine or transmission if automatic. IMO CSF coolant radiator and CSF upgraded oil radiator are way to go if stock. If he added power, I know a lot of people run here two oil radiators on N54/55 in addition to upgraded CSF coolant radiator.
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      08-20-2023, 10:11 PM   #1012
san40k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i N54 6MT

a few data points tracking E90 335i n54 6MT sedan in ~80F ambient on Pacific Raceways:
- I run ancient JB3 in map3, sometimes 92 octane, sometimes 93 (by adding 2 gallons of 100 octane)
- My peak straight speeds are ~120-130 mph, not going after records there since I run stock sport package brake disks with carbotech x10 pads
- my oil temps peak at 280F without loss of performance (knock on wood)
- oil temps seem to be the same with stock 15 years old oil cooler AND upgraded CSF cooler (surprise for me..)
- no idea on coolant temps so far
- comparable peak temps on stock car vs bolt ons (DPs, 7" FMIC, hot side piping and charge pipe) on the same JB3 tune
- I can speculate (no data to prove) that ~5 seconds improvement in lap time resulted in about 10F increase in peak oil temps, at least from ~270F to 280F, or it could be warmer/wetter/drier days

PS: hope knocking on wood helps

Last edited by san40k; 09-16-2023 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: add engine
Appreciate 1