E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > need help, found leaks everywhere

12-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

Unhappy need help, found leaks everywhere

Thought I'd move this here for more exposure...

So long story short, I installed my ets 5” fmic and er chargepipe w/ hks bov the other night. It was my first time getting underneath my car and I found oil in places it shouldn't be. My car has about 50k miles

1. Oil on rear turbo

There was some oil on the under tray and some of the hoses at the bottom of the car. It wasn’t a puddle or anything but noticeable. From searching, it looks like this is from the rear turbo seal. I start losing oil after about 5k after an oil change so this would explain why. I have downpipes that I have been waiting to install and am in a dilemma on what to do. My turbos hold boost fine but lately have started whining when cold.

I guess my questions are:

-How long have you guys ridden on your turbo’s with the seals leaking?

-Any downside for continuing to drive with this leak? besides loosing some oil

-Should I go back to stock now (before downpipe install) and try my luck at getting turbo’s through the stealership? Or should I install my downpipes and ride it out till these die?

2. Transmission oil leak

From what I’ve read it’s the mechatronic connector sleep that’s leaking. I’d greatly appreciate it if anyone can confirm or offer any advice

3. Control arms

Is this what leaking control arms look like? There’s that black stuff all over near the bushings? Leaky control arms look different from the pictures I’ve seen online. Just want to check if I should get these replaced with m3 arms lol

Man this car is starting to seem really expensive but i need fix my transmission and buy turbos how the hell am i supposed to mod this when all my modding money is being thrown at maintenance /rant

Here the pics:

Last edited by iturbo_bmw; 12-19-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

[QUOTE=e92_bmw;15147824]Thought I'd move this here for more exposure...

So long story short, I installed my ets 5” fmic and er chargepipe w/ hks bov the other night. It was my first time getting underneath my car and I found oil in places it should be. My car has about 50k miles

1. Oil on rear turbo

There was some oil on the under tray and some of the hoses at the bottom of the car. It wasn’t a puddle or anything but noticeable. From searching, it looks like this is from the rear turbo seal. I start losing oil after about 5k after an oil change so this would explain why. I have downpipes that I have been waiting to install and am in a dilemma on what to do. My turbos hold boost fine but lately have started whining when cold.

-Should I go back to stock now (before downpipe install) and try my luck at getting turbo’s through the stealership? Or should I install my downpipes and ride it out till these die?

2. Transmission oil leak

From what I’ve read it’s the mechatronic connector sleep that’s leaking. I’d greatly appreciate it if anyone can confirm or offer any advice

3. Control arms

Is this what leaking control arms look like? There’s that black stuff all over near the bushings? Leaky control arms look different from the pictures I’ve seen online. Just want to check if I should get these replaced with m3 arms lol

Man this car is starting to seem really expensive but i need fix my transmission and buy turbos how the hell am i supposed to mod this when all my modding money is being thrown at maintenance /rant

DOH!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Man sorry to hear ur story. this may be too late for you but you NEVER purchase a e92 without entended warranty in order to avoid being brankrupt. If you are mechanic inclined you can do this yourself and save lost of $. If not Indy shops in your area are giong to be your best friends.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
you NEVER purchase a e92 without entended warranty in order to avoid being brankrupt.
Sorry to hear, also, the above is a gross exaggeration. Bankrupt? If a warranty costs roughly 3k, and you get hit with a 2k repair, you're 1k in the black.

People usually go bankrupt so they can walk away from loans on their 4th and 5th investment properties (a coworker walked away from 3 houses in Phoenix, saved over a million dollars, and since it was only in her name Bonnie and Clyde now have 5 houses and all are in the black)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Sorry to hear, also, the above is a gross exaggeration. Bankrupt? If a warranty costs roughly 3k, and you get hit with a 2k repair, you're 1k in the black.

People usually go bankrupt so they can walk away from loans on their 4th and 5th investment properties (a coworker walked away from 3 houses in Phoenix, saved over a million dollars, and since it was only in her name Bonnie and Clyde now have 5 houses and all are in the black)
Probably for some, but a 2k repair, any e92 can reach it in one stop at the dealership. Most of these repairs go beyond 6k at the dealership of course. This is what I ve seen here in forums over the years.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Probably for some, but a 2k repair, any e92 can reach it in one stop at the dealership. Most of these repairs go beyond 6k at the dealership of course. This is what I ve seen here in forums over the years.
If you get slapped with a 6k repair (which I doubt), you are now 3k in the red, as you could have paid 3k for an extended warranty.

You can also pay 3k for an extended warranty, and never use it, and you are also in the red by 3k.

The question becomes risk v. reward, and if you think you can beat the house. Many people flock to Vegas despite the odds, and some do beat the house. Are you feeling lucky?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
DouggyB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bmw View Post
Thought I'd move this here for more exposure...

So long story short, I installed my ets 5” fmic and er chargepipe w/ hks bov the other night. It was my first time getting underneath my car and I found oil in places it shouldn't be. My car has about 50k miles

1. Oil on rear turbo

2. Transmission oil leak

3. Control arms

Here the pics:

It’s hard for me to see in your pic if the oil on the turbo is from the housing or one of the supply lines. Plumbing is not fun on those. The pic of the lower bell housing could be a number of things: oil dripping down from the turbo, oil pan gasket, rear main. I suggest fixing the top most leak & cleaning everything up before trying to guess what it is. Did you have a pic of the mechatronic sleeve? It’s on the R/R of the trans. Those FCAB’s have leaked out, new arms come w/ new bushings, or take the arms off & have new bushings pressed in (this is only supposed to be done 1 time on these because the arm is aluminum). I have heard of people filling the bushings with a flexible caulking, but I have never seen or done it myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouggyB View Post
It’s hard for me to see in your pic if the oil on the turbo is from the housing or one of the supply lines. Plumbing is not fun on those. The pic of the lower bell housing could be a number of things: oil dripping down from the turbo, oil pan gasket, rear main. I suggest fixing the top most leak & cleaning everything up before trying to guess what it is. Did you have a pic of the mechatronic sleeve? It’s on the R/R of the trans. Those FCAB’s have leaked out, new arms come w/ new bushings, or take the arms off & have new bushings pressed in (this is only supposed to be done 1 time on these because the arm is aluminum). I have heard of people filling the bushings with a flexible caulking, but I have never seen or done it myself.

damn so the controls arms are gone? I'll be upgrading to m3 control arms if thats the case..

I'll try to take more/better pictures tonight

I'm taking the car in on Monday to have the leaks looked. hopefully its not the turbos..

I might just buy a 3rd party warranty over the weekend depending on the price
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
DouggyB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bmw View Post
damn so the controls arms are gone? I'll be upgrading to m3 control arms if thats the case..

I'll try to take more/better pictures tonight

I'm taking the car in on Monday to have the leaks looked. hopefully its not the turbos..

I might just buy a 3rd party warranty over the weekend depending on the price

Not the arms, just the bushings. Checking of the ball joints is down with a special tool by BMW standards, most check the ball joints with a large pair of channel locks, but this is not a valid way to check them by BMW. If you do buy a third party warranty, I urge you to really go over the covered & not covered items & conditions. For example the oil leak form the turbo might be covered, but the oil leak from the bushings may considered “regular wear & tear” by a warranty company.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouggyB View Post
Not the arms, just the bushings. Checking of the ball joints is down with a special tool by BMW standards, most check the ball joints with a large pair of channel locks, but this is not a valid way to check them by BMW. If you do buy a third party warranty, I urge you to really go over the covered & not covered items & conditions. For example the oil leak form the turbo might be covered, but the oil leak from the bushings may considered “regular wear & tear” by a warranty company.
oh ok yea. I'll have the indy look into the bushings. thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

so i had a chance to go to 2 different shops to have my leaks looked at and now i am even more confused than ever

Turns out my turbo's are not leaking and neither is my transmission
but my controls arms bushing do need to be replaced but right now the oil leak is more important

shop #1 (bavarian motorsport - mostly do maintenance stuff) said that my valve cover gasket is leaking and so is my oil filter housing gasket. they said the oil was leaking down under the engine and to the back of the under tray(near the transmission). this made sense but..

shop #2 (speed element - do lots of work on suburu's and evo's) said that my oil pan is leaking and will need to be replaced with an oil change

so i'm like wtf which shop is right i will try to make time to get it checked somewhere else to see if i can confirm one or the other but i took some pics to try to see if its the valve cover. i can see some oil leakin in the pictures but i thought the valve cover was higher than that..like it was the black part on top.. i kno im a noob.. can anyone confirm or provide any insight

your help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
Valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket replacement are 1. cheap(er) and 2. easily DIYable. 50k miles is usually when seals start to go. If you can DIY those 2 and the leak goes away, great. If it's the pan gasket, well you just preventative maintained 2 other leak prone gaskets.

Alternatively, you can (safely) degrease/clean your engine (especially near and around the valve cover, oil filter and oil pan) and then drive the car around for a little bit. Take a look see where, if at all, oil is found.

Edit: Balls; just saw it's a 335. The VCG DIY might be more complex but is still cheaper than oil pan gasket.
      01-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 325xi

With regards to the control arm bushings...just get new arms with bushings already in them & brand new ball joints at the other end. The cost is virtually the same & then you won't be replacing ball joints in 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
Tichx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D M Sport

read my thread here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=60K+service

might help you...
      01-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
Tichx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D M Sport

Info..

read my thread here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=60K+service

might help you...
      01-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #16
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
Valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket replacement are 1. cheap(er) and 2. easily DIYable. 50k miles is usually when seals start to go. If you can DIY those 2 and the leak goes away, great. If it's the pan gasket, well you just preventative maintained 2 other leak prone gaskets.

Alternatively, you can (safely) degrease/clean your engine (especially near and around the valve cover, oil filter and oil pan) and then drive the car around for a little bit. Take a look see where, if at all, oil is found.

Edit: Balls; just saw it's a 335. The VCG DIY might be more complex but is still cheaper than oil pan gasket.

thanks! i never thought about it like that. VCG doesn't seem too hard, i have a friend who would have all the tools required. i may just attempt to do them myself if its easy enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer View Post
With regards to the control arm bushings...just get new arms with bushings already in them & brand new ball joints at the other end. The cost is virtually the same & then you won't be replacing ball joints in 6 months.
thanks! yeah I think i will just buy the m3 parts as i was going to do them later on anyways
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #17
AughtOcho335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Proactivity and vigilance is fundamental for these cars. I would ask around and find the most reputable shop and have them address all these issues. If there is anything internally wrong i would stay away from mods at this point and get it back to full functionality. If you start modifying this car and there is one weak link plan on failure.... I would only mod a car that is solid as a rock from top to bottom. Otherwise you're just gong to exacerbate the problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #18
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AughtOcho335 View Post
Proactivity and vigilance is fundamental for these cars. I would ask around and find the most reputable shop and have them address all these issues. If there is anything internally wrong i would stay away from mods at this point and get it back to full functionality. If you start modifying this car and there is one weak link plan on failure.... I would only mod a car that is solid as a rock from top to bottom. Otherwise you're just gong to exacerbate the problem.
car was running strong until this leak showed up..unfortunately im already fbo. i'm hoping its just some gasket leak i can fix easily
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Can someone just confirm for me that where the oil seems to be leaking from in the following picture is in face the valve cover gasket??

Please..lol. This is only place I can find anything leaking and just want to be sure what it is before I order the parts
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #20
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

actually it kinda looks like the oil is dripping down from on top of that thing.. hmm
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #21
jgnp15333
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Turbos have the extended warranty. Def go get them replaced.

I got lucky with a mod-friendly tech and he installed my downpipes for FFFRRREEEEEEEEEEE since he was already in there wreckin up the place.
Appreciate 0