E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust recommendations?

03-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #1
saqueme
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Exhaust recommendations?

I have a N52, and I already have a muffler delete, but I kinda want it a little louder. With the windows down the sound gets drowned out by wind. However, I don't think I want to cut the resonator since I want to try and limit drone. So I've been thinking headers, but I'm also afraid that those might be ungodly loud. Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #2
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saqueme View Post
I have a N52, and I already have a muffler delete, but I kinda want it a little louder. With the windows down the sound gets drowned out by wind. However, I don't think I want to cut the resonator since I want to try and limit drone. So I've been thinking headers, but I'm also afraid that those might be ungodly loud. Opinions?
Drone and loudness go hand-in-hand, better off finding a performance exhaust if you want to remove drone and get better sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:02 AM   #3
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
If you have a muffler delete and want louder, I'd do a resonator delete. It's basically the next step up in volume, where headers will dramatically increase the volume it seems. Resonator delete is also cheap and easy to reverse if you don't like the sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
saqueme
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
If you have a muffler delete and want louder, I'd do a resonator delete. It's basically the next step up in volume, where headers will dramatically increase the volume it seems. Resonator delete is also cheap and easy to reverse if you don't like the sound.
How much louder would you say headers are?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 12:55 AM   #5
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

If you're going to add headers, invest in a Muffler. It will be LOUD if you took out your secondaries.
      03-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #6
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Drone is kind of subjective.

Personally I have very little with AA headers, straight piped back to a Magnaflow 14815 muffler. It is VERY loud but it's a weekend car I don't drive much

Catless headers with stock exhaust sounds nice
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #7
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by saqueme View Post
i have a clip of my cold start if you'd wanna hear how headers + secondary delete + stock res left intact + AA exhaust sounds on an N52.

it's not crazy loud...

...till you're floorin' it, driving through a tunnel or a combination of the two

...worth it on the butt dyno too
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0