E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Misfiring: New Raceworks Coils, New Spark Plugs, New Valve Cover & Gasket N54

02-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
E92PapiChang
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen White 335i

Garage List
Hey guys, I recently bought a 2007 E92 335i. I bought the car for a good deal knowing it had misfiring problems with cylinders 4 and 6. I recently replaced all six ignition coils with a Raceworks set and a still faced misfiring.

I bought new Bosch spark plugs and decided to change the valve cover and gasket while I was at it. The battery terminals were disconnected while I waited on a deep socket 10mm to arrive.

I put it together last night and reconnected everything. Today when I attempted to start it, there was no power to the vehicle or accessories. I connected it with jumper cables to one of my other vehicles and the accessories came on but the car was dependent on that power source. I tried to start it and it took multiple attempts to start it by pressing the clutch and the start button while pressing the gas. There was a pop and smoke under the hood where the box that houses the wires from the positive terminal and from the tail.

I drove the car literally around the block and it had very little power and throttle response. The car is misfiring worse than before. I connected an OBDII scanner and these are the codes I received.

P0306: Cylinder 6 Misfire DTC
P0073: Ambient Air Temperature Sensor High Circuit Input
P0304: Cylinder 4 Misfire
P0300: Random Misfire Detected
P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0136: 02 Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P0117: Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input
P164C: Position Sensor Potentiometer Supply Channel 1 Electrical
P1417: Throttle Control Incorrect Air Supply (Bank 1)
P10A5: Injectors Initializing Error (Group 1)
P10A8: Injectors Initializing Error (Group2)
P1625: Pedal Position Sensor Potentiometer Supply Channel 2 Electrical
P1224: Pedal Position Sensor 1 and 2 Circuit Range/Performance

If any of you guys can help me figure out what I need to do get my car up and running properly or a good reasonably priced shop that does good in Miami or Broward I would really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 10:06 PM   #2
jamaicaLemons
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92PapiChang View Post
Hey guys, I recently bought a 2007 E92 335i. I bought the car for a good deal knowing it had misfiring problems with cylinders 4 and 6. I recently replaced all six ignition coils with a Raceworks set and a still faced misfiring.

I bought new Bosch spark plugs and decided to change the valve cover and gasket while I was at it. The battery terminals were disconnected while I waited on a deep socket 10mm to arrive.

I put it together last night and reconnected everything. Today when I attempted to start it, there was no power to the vehicle or accessories. I connected it with jumper cables to one of my other vehicles and the accessories came on but the car was dependent on that power source. I tried to start it and it took multiple attempts to start it by pressing the clutch and the start button while pressing the gas. There was a pop and smoke under the hood where the box that houses the wires from the positive terminal and from the tail.

I drove the car literally around the block and it had very little power and throttle response. The car is misfiring worse than before. I connected an OBDII scanner and these are the codes I received.

If any of you guys can help me figure out what I need to do get my car up and running properly or a good reasonably priced shop that does good in Miami or Broward I would really appreciate it.
I'd start with your dme. Might've fried the mosfets
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 10:38 PM   #3
Mustafa.e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335i

wht he said^^ you have an earlier build date so you have the msd80 if I remember right. Also check what index injectors your on
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
E92PapiChang
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicaLemons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92PapiChang View Post

I'd start with your dme. Might've fried the mosfets
Thanks! I do have some soldering experience, should I do it myself or nah?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
E92PapiChang
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa.e92 View Post
wht he said^^ you have an earlier build date so you have the msd80 if I remember right. Also check what index injectors your on
Thanks as well! I checked them and I have index 7's. 🥴
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

Did you tune your car to accept precision race work coils? Why did you feel the need to upgrade the coils in the first place? I think oem coils would have been a better idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
E92PapiChang
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceway View Post
Did you tune your car to accept precision race work coils? Why did you feel the need to upgrade the coils in the first place? I think oem coils would have been a better idea.
I haven't tuned the car yet. I have been working on this car by myself. As far as I understand the ignition coils are plug and play and from the reviews I read, they were positive for ending most users' misfiring issues. I am fairly new to working on BMW's but not new to BMW ownership.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 07:17 AM   #8
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Due to the "pop and smoke" i'd agree you probably fried the DME, that is quite a few codes; however check over your PR coils. My understanding is they are sensitive to the angle at which they're plugged in, sometimes pins gets squished or misaligned.

I don't know if it's okay to post links to other forums so I won't, but a quick "N54 PR Coil Coding" search on google brings up a forum that will show you what i'm talking about in detail
      04-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #9
E92PapiChang
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
Due to the "pop and smoke" i'd agree you probably fried the DME, that is quite a few codes; however check over your PR coils. My understanding is they are sensitive to the angle at which they're plugged in, sometimes pins gets squished or misaligned.

I don't know if it's okay to post links to other forums so I won't, but a quick "N54 PR Coil Coding" search on google brings up a forum that will show you what i'm talking about in detail
Okay so a few months later down the road.
I changed out the mosfets myself and placed the DME back in the car along with a new battery. I coded the battery in with the MHD Flasher license app and the Precision Raceworks coil pack.

When I press the clutch and the start button while the key is in the ignition, the accessories, lights, and radio come on along with a click. It doesn't attempt to start or seem like it is going to struggle. I feel like this is something electrical or possibly the voltage regulator on the alternator. Still new to this but it is just a hunch. Anyone have any ideas? These are the new codes listed below?

- DME active codes -
2CFB - DME: Throttle-valve adaptation value.
2D09 - DME: THROTTLE.
2E83 - DME: Electric coolant pump, power-reduced operation.
2E98 - BSD, message; alternator: Missing.
2EE0 - DME: Coolant temperature sensor, signal.
2F9A - DME: Ambient temperature, signal.

- Readiness -
Misfire: Complete.
Fuel System: Complete.
Components: Complete.
Catalyst: INCOMPLETE.
Heated Catalyst: Not avail.
Evaporative System: INCOMPLETE.
Secondary Air System: Not avail.
A/C Refrigerant: Not avail.
Oxygen Sensor: INCOMPLETE.
Oxygen Sensor Heater: INCOMPLETE.
EGR System: Not avail.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:00 PM   #10
TurboTom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i DCT

Sorry I cant help diagnose, much more of a nuts and bolts kinda guy myself. Not too sure what to do when you let out the magic smoke.

If you still need a shop, Motorworx in Davie is the only spot I trust to work on my cars. Charlie is the owner, talk to him and tell him Adam with the white/red 135i sent you, he knows me and my car very well.
Appreciate 0