E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Do my turbo seals look good?

11-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #45
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

You're also full catless now, there will be more smoke regardless of any underlying issues.

But the smoke is still very noticeable? I haven't had the chance to install my new VC+external PCV yet.
      11-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #46
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
You're also full catless now, there will be more smoke regardless of any underlying issues.

But the smoke is still very noticeable? I haven't had the chance to install my new VC+external PCV yet.
That's also what I was thinking but then again all the posts I read people say smoke when catless = issue and with cats you are just hiding the issue.

A bit hard to say for example the smoke I can see it in my rear view mirror lick above my trunk a bit When getting off a bit. I really need to film a video.

But no oil consumption so... it must really just be some exhaust fumes.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #47
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

I really wouldn't worry about any smoke in cold weather if you aren't visibly leaking oil or noticing excessive loss through the oil level monitor.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #48
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
That's also what I was thinking but then again all the posts I read people say smoke when catless = issue and with cats you are just hiding the issue.

A bit hard to say for example the smoke I can see it in my rear view mirror lick above my trunk a bit When getting off a bit. I really need to film a video.

But no oil consumption so... it must really just be some exhaust fumes.
So I finally finished my VC + VCG + RB external PCV w/plugged head & catch can, I also did an intake valve scrub while I was in there. No more smoking, smell is definitely better but still present when coming to a stop with the windows down, I believe this is just related to being full catless.

Overall very happy with how healthy she’s running now and I’m glad to know it’s not my turbo seals.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #49
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
So I finally finished my VC + VCG + RB external PCV w/plugged head & catch can, I also did an intake valve scrub while I was in there. No more smoking, smell is definitely better but still present when coming to a stop with the windows down, I believe this is just related to being full catless.

Overall very happy with how healthy she’s running now and I’m glad to know it’s not my turbo seals.
Good to hear. I'm in the process of doing the same right now, car is in pieces at the moment.

I didn't have a smoke from the exhaust issue, but the VC was leaking and causing oil burning smoke when coming to a stop. I've got the ports plugged and did the walnut blast. Replaced the starter while I was there because on rare occasions I would get a rattle during start up. Also have plugs, coils, OFHG, OCG and o-rings, aluminum coolant hose adapter, serpentine belt kit... Looking forward to it, I don't think any of this was ever done and I'm at about 61k miles. Valves looked terrible.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #50
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:

Good to hear!

Over here it's to cold to tell about my smoking since it's never above 5 deg C but same here, most of the time it's fuel smell I can tell but if I floor it the stop it kinda smells... a bit more oily? Hard to tell. But like you say it's probably just a different fuel mixture since I just floored it that it does different scents?

But finally my oil level sensor shows I've lost some oil so my conclusion is I currently just loose a very slight amount and that's why it smells less of fuel sometimes. I've lost 250ML in about 5 000KM
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:09 PM   #51
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi N54 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Good to hear!

Over here it's to cold to tell about my smoking since it's never above 5 deg C but same here, most of the time it's fuel smell I can tell but if I floor it the stop it kinda smells... a bit more oily? Hard to tell. But like you say it's probably just a different fuel mixture since I just floored it that it does different scents?

But finally my oil level sensor shows I've lost some oil so my conclusion is I currently just loose a very slight amount and that's why it smells less of fuel sometimes. I've lost 250ML in about 5 000KM
bro its cold here
since i went catless my car smokes like a bitch and sometimes smells like unburnt gas but its fine.
Road to 500hp daily on the way (ya right lol)
--------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0